Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

We lost Jackson, Foley is cooked and Lids is out injured.

All the opposition need to do is shut down Cotchin and put a bit of pressure on Martin.
Change your ****ing team. I saw the word "we" at start of your post and wanted to give you an uppercut ffs.

Just gets bashed around far too much.
We don't have any big bodies in there.
The one who I wonder about and actually worry about is Martin.
He's not anything at all like I'm sure we imagined he would be.
He's becoming a bit of an outside accumulator.
A nice player who is dangerous up forward but not a really hard player who is a brute.
I'm not sure if he's worth persisting with in the middle or just mainly as a forward.
Get batchelor in there. Im sure its not going to hurt. Big body midfielder, would be ideal I reckon.

Have you for one second actually watched our players when we have the ball across half back, they are stationary, very rarely do they take off in the quest to find space ,more often than not they just jog along with their opponent glued to them ,think about it, how many times do we kick to a 1 on 1 or a 2 on 2 or kick it long to a contest but when the opposition get the ball their are loose men all over the place.

We do not work hard enough on the ground, the amount of times I see the opposition busting a gut and finding space while we trail behind is damn frustrating, how many times do you see our players darting off in all different directions to provide options when we have the ball at half back.

This has nothing to do with the coach, it's to do with the players and their want to work hard.
I thing it has got something to do with the coach. If your not prepared to work hard enough then you dont get a game.

Cotchin has been great this year.
As have Rance, Maric, Houli, and Edwards.

Riewoldt is average 2.7 goals as a flanker. If we put him back in the square and make him lead he'd surely kick 80 every year. Hugely underrated.

Martin is a beast. But he has been the stat paddler of our side, not as damaging as he should be. Cotchin at least has an excuse.

IMO the Cotchin issue comes down to doing what he believes is best for the team i.e. getting it 30 odd times a game and helping us maintain possession. The problem with that is where Cotchin gets the ball isn't where we need him to get the ball. Getting it 20 odd times a game across the defensive half of the game means sweet FA when your disposal is a 15-20m kick sideways or 45 degrees short. Cotchin isn't on his own here either Martin has started to do the same so too Miles and Ellis.

For the love of God these guys need to rediscover their attacking flair and take the fecking handbrake off and just go hell for leather at the opposition.

Cotchin has been great this year.
As have Rance, Maric, Houli, and Edwards.

Riewoldt is average 2.7 goals as a flanker. If we put him back in the square and make him lead he'd surely kick 80 every year. Hugely underrated.

Martin is a beast. But he has been the stat paddler of our side, not as damaging as he should be. Cotchin at least has an excuse.
What is his excuse? No assistance?

One thing I think we have agreed on in here is that these guys are way way down on confidence.
It's a massive issue because If it isn't rectified this season will get awfully ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent Cotchin has sent the ball inside 50, 19 times, ranked 2nd at Richmond, not bad for someone who supposedly gets soft possies at half back.

And just to say this, if cotchin had of been playing the same way but wearing a red sash instead this article would never have been written, well not in a negative way anyway.

We seriously need some arseholes in the middle.
Maybe it's time Martin just said "right **** this!"
And I don't mean with a bloody fend off.
Get some shit in him. Maybe it's not his thing?
Apart from Vlastuin I can't think of anyone else to put in there.
You can see why blokes like Thomas and Petterd were going in there now when Jacko went down.
They weren't long term projects but at least one thing they offered was a bit of Steel around the contest and some protection for blokes like Cotchin and Edwards.
Jackson is horribly missed.
once lids and foley are back in that midfield mix cotchin and miles will come good... any updates on foleys latest setback?

once lids and foley are back in that midfield mix cotchin and miles will come good... any updates on foleys latest setback?
I don't think we will see much more of foley.

Cotchin IS great.
Unfortunately, his support cast is not.
Too much reliance on him and no one to step up and help him out.
He will be a much better player once Deledio comes into the side.
Don't rate Conca that highly, but he will also be important for Cotchin, as he is that in and under player who loves to tackle.
Foley would also be beneficial to Cotchin's game.
It's only round 5.
This bloke could very well win the Brownlow this season.
Just turned 25 last week too.
He's been captain for 2 seasons now, it was the first time we've made back to back finals series since 74/75.
Guy needs a break.

Plus, he just had a kid….I wonder how much sleep he's been getting.

The worry for me is that I can't excuse him with getting too much attention and the niggles any more. He just genuinely isn't a damaging player.

We lost Jackson, Foley is cooked and Lids is out injured.

All the opposition need to do is shut down Cotchin and put a bit of pressure on Martin.

Change your ******* team. I saw the word "we" at start of your post and wanted to give you an uppercut ffs.

Have a sook mate, everyone knows I'm a Richmond fan.

Think you're the one who needs a dummy, not Dimma. ;)

Woah down tigers,

cotchin has actually been good this year, but its not translating into wins because the guy is the only one who does it, only him and edwards were doing anything in the last quarter in the midfield, against geelong it was cotchin who was winning the ball, the guy just needs more help, as good as miles has been i dont think he should be our main brute guy, the swans have jpk, port have wines and boak, we need someone else who is A grade or very close to it to help him out. If only shiel or ward....

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back