Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

I still have flash backs to the games he played in his almost brownlow year....sublime on the edge of genius play...
Especially that pirouette in mid air surrounded by quality opposition players to hand ball over his head backwards 12 meters to a team mate running by...

For mine, he's clearly the best player we have drafted in the last quarter of a century. The things he can do, you just don't see normal players doing them. His ability to get his hands on the football at crucial times and do the unexpected sets him apart.
Given that the modern draft started in 1986 could you say that Cotchin is our best draft pick ever?

For mine, he's clearly the best player we have drafted in the last quarter of a century. The things he can do, you just don't see normal players doing them. His ability to get his hands on the football at crucial times and do the unexpected sets him apart.
He's a freak. I've never seen a player so balanced. He gets a hand on the ball and just plucks it out of the air and keeps going. He's starting to look like the player he was in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chimp was awesome on the weekend.

Ran his guts out.

My only minor complaint would be that I'd like him to nail more of those sets shots though. He can be a damaging resting forward.

Had to GIF this:

V28rdy7.gif

The Chimp was awesome on the weekend.

Ran his guts out.

My only minor complaint would be that I'd like him to nail more of those sets shots though. He can be a damaging resting forward.
The offset of his perceived lack of set shot goal kicking is his remarkable ability to kick freakish goals . Has kicked two of the best goals of the last decade, which have come from little chances.

The offset of his perceived lack of set shot goal kicking is his remarkable ability to kick freakish goals . Has kicked two of the best goals of the last decade, which have come from little chances.

Reminds me of the story about Malcolm Blight, who kicked a freak goal from the boundary line but copped a spray from Ron Barassi for not doing the team thing and centring the ball. To prove his point, Barassi took Blight out to the same spot at training and gave him the football. Had dozens of shots, apprarently. All missed.

He was trying pretty hard in the first half for not much reward, Buddy crunched him over the line once, then another time after one or two efforts he got bowled over by Tippett I think? and looked spent. Gave away a holding free as JPK was running away from him :oops:. Was just labouring a touch at times, didn't know what he'd be able to find after half-time.

Then the 3rd quarter happened. Hmmm :drunk:

I'd say he's our best inside mid in the past 25 no doubt. When he's playing well he's good at tackling, good strength, gut runs and has the determination of a starving tiger. Not best drafted player for mine though, perhaps in a few years I'll agree. His disposal is mostly ugly and generally has been since he got a crook leg in '13, could be coincidence as his disposal has never been great, but in 2012 I rarely questioned his kicking ability. I get the feeling that is perhaps also the reason his 4 quarter efforts have become more of a rarity too, despite some of his game changing quarters of late.

I'd say he's our best inside mid in the past 25 no doubt. When he's playing well he's good at tackling, good strength, gut runs and has the determination of a starving tiger. Not best drafted player for mine though, perhaps in a few years I'll agree. His disposal is mostly ugly and generally has been since he got a crook leg in '13, could be coincidence as his disposal has never been great, but in 2012 I rarely questioned his kicking ability. I get the feeling that is perhaps also the reason his 4 quarter efforts have become more of a rarity too, despite some of his game changing quarters of late.
His disposal is elite , he kicks or handballs to where players should receive it , not his fault some double back whilst it is in the air or don't know how to run to space , as players become more experienced You'll appreciate how good his disposals are .
Jack still believes he is the best player to led to and it is extremely rare that Cotchin doesn't put it to his advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back