Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Six clubs chasing Will according to Twoomey on 'Getable'. "He is hot property. More bites than shark week".
"I don't think he'd want to go to a club that's not in contention, If he does leave the Swans."

Clearly afl professionals value him more than many big footy posters.

Six clubs chasing Will according to Twoomey on 'Getable'. "He is hot property. More bites than shark week".
"I don't think he'd want to go to a club that's not in contention, If he does leave the Swans."

He would be wasted in club not in contention. He’d barely touch the ball without a big role change. Waste of their money and his time/talents.

I think this is one of the reasons he would stay.

Melbourne and Carlton are in contention as is Port. With Elliot close to retirement and the Pies having cash to splash, I expect Hayward is also on their radar.

He is at best a 16-26 player and I’d expect our offer will fall in that range.

If other Clubs go bonkers and drive up the price to silly levels, I say all to the good.

So much this, in a window we cannot be overpaying. Look do I want him to leave I'm on the fence but it's purely and simply price dependant. Put it this way I'd rather retain Logan than Hayward and many on here won't agree I know that.

Melbourne and Carlton are in contention as is Port. With Elliot close to retirement and the Pies having cash to splash, I expect Hayward is also on their radar.

Would the Pies have that much cash? Daicos deals will go up and that's for starters. However they will likely have Sidebottom/Pendles/etc. I recon Elliott goes another year he's been good this year

So much this, in a window we cannot be overpaying. Look do I want him to leave I'm on the fence but it's purely and simply price dependant. Put it this way I'd rather retain Logan than Hayward and many on here won't agree I know that.

If you could hurry and finish that cap spreadsheet they could get a deal done

If you could hurry and finish that cap spreadsheet they could get a deal done

My goodness! I wonder how many thousands of fans have developed an estimated salary cap distribution for each Club

Ha I had same reaction. If those club recruiters got onto BF more they would realise Wayward Hayward is an over-rated dud who can't kick to save his life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they certainly are, but they are in no better position than we are and to me at least, if our offer is anywhere close to what oppo teams are offering, it wouldn't be worth the upheaval.

If other Clubs go bonkers and drive up the price to silly levels, I say all to the good.
Sorry Unc, I love you - you know I do, but I struggle with taking anything you post about Will seriously.
Your Hayward posts are up there with your JPK posts, so tainted by personal bias you can't see the forest for the trees.

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear…

Ha I had same reaction. If those club recruiters got onto BF more they would realise Wayward Hayward is an over-rated dud who can't kick to save his life

No-one says he is a dud. He is a B grade role player whose chronic yips has cost us games. I have never heard anyone suggest they want the ball in his hands kicking for goal. Why do you think that is Big Blood?

Yes they certainly are, but they are in no better position than we are and to me at least, if our offer is anywhere close to what oppo teams are offering, it wouldn't be worth the upheaval.

So if other Clubs are offering $300k pa more over a longer period than us do you really think we should match?

Your Hayward posts are up there with your JPK posts, so tainted by personal bias you can't see the forest for the trees.

I was a massive admirer of JPK for more than a decade. He stayed too long, was in decline and I hope everyone forgets the disaster of his last season.

Yeah, Carlton and Melbourne don't make a huge amount of sense to me as suitors from a salary cap shape point of view. Carlton, in particular, have a solid slab of players who earn, or will shortly earn, top dollar. Curnow, McKay, Walsh, Cripps. Plus they reportedly gave Williams a $900k pa long term deal, and also paid good money (and more than the value they've received) for McGovern and Jack Martin. Those latter two contracts expire soon, I believe, so maybe they'll be able to trim back there. But McGovern has started to pull his finger out this season, maybe with contract renegotiations in mind. Then there's Cerra, who I imagine they also had to offer a decent contract to ward off competition from other Victorian clubs. And they have the improving De Koning to re-sign next year.

Melbourne have Oliver, Petracca, Gawn, May, Lever in - I expect - that top echelon of contracts, though Gawn I presume won't need to be re-signed on another large contract, given his age. They also already have two medium sized forwards in Fritsch and McAdam. Fritsch is a far more prolific goal scorer than Hayward, though I don't think he does the volume of running that Hayward does. But you'd have thought that finding a decent taller forward option would be more of a priority for them.

We shouldn't pay overs to keep him. I assume other offers are stronger than ours. Maybe length of our offer is a sticking point?

I won't be fussed if he leaves. Imo this season we're testing whether a lower paid player (fox) can play a similar role & whether hayward can be a 40+ goal kicking fwd.

After so much talk about him being “Horse’s favourite” a few years ago, I’m a bit surprised that he’s likely off.

Unless of course, he’s the “senior player” in the Wicksgate Scandal.

lighting crashes in the background

Last edited:
Yeah, Carlton and Melbourne don't make a huge amount of sense to me as suitors from a salary cap shape point of view. Carlton, in particular, have a solid slab of players who earn, or will shortly earn, top dollar. Curnow, McKay, Walsh, Cripps. Plus they reportedly gave Williams a $900k pa long term deal, and also paid good money (and more than the value they've received) for McGovern and Jack Martin. Those latter two contracts expire soon, I believe, so maybe they'll be able to trim back there. But McGovern has started to pull his finger out this season, maybe with contract renegotiations in mind. Then there's Cerra, who I imagine they also had to offer a decent contract to ward off competition from other Victorian clubs. And they have the improving De Koning to re-sign next year.

Melbourne have Oliver, Petracca, Gawn, May, Lever in - I expect - that top echelon of contracts, though Gawn I presume won't need to be re-signed on another large contract, given his age. They also already have two medium sized forwards in Fritsch and McAdam. Fritsch is a far more prolific goal scorer than Hayward, though I don't think he does the volume of running that Hayward does. But you'd have thought that finding a decent taller forward option would be more of a priority for them.
Melbourne may well have cap space with the forced retirement of Brayshaw.

This may be the case. But I think he's the best player available to play the medium forward role for us. He can play as a marking, goal kicking forward but also play a defensive role on the opposition's best intercept defenders. He also provides an outlet down the line. With HHK de-listed and Heeney playing mid, we really don't have anyone in our squad who can do what he does. Structurally, he is very important.

So yes, judging him directly against his peers, he may fall into the 16-26 range (this I disagree with) but I think (and I am sure our club and others agree) he is worth more than this narrow metric.

This may be the case. But I think he's the best player available to play the medium forward role for us. He can play as a marking, goal kicking forward but also play a defensive role on the opposition's best intercept defenders. He also provides an outlet down the line. With HHK de-listed and Heeney playing mid, we really don't have anyone in our squad who can do what he does. Structurally, he is very important.

So yes, judging him directly against his peers, he may fall into the 16-26 range (this I disagree with) but I think (and I am sure our club and others agree) he is worth more than this narrow metric.
Think whatever you want of him, fact of the matter is if he walks out then we're instantly a poorer side, even if it's by a small margin.

The criticism is that he isn't a perfect player. Well guess what, if he goes we still won't have that perfect player so i'm not really sure what everyone is trying to get at being so relaxed about him leaving. For a team that's attempting to contend, losing Hayward will be a massive blow. It will completely ruin our structure and reduce our depth. There is absolutely no chance he falls into the 16-26 range.

And to give him straight to a contending team... To top it off the gap becomes even greater when it makes the oppo better. we all laughed when the maligned player Melbourne handed to us played a strong hand in their downfall - and us being their direct premiership and top 4 threat. To hand them a guaranteed extra 2 goals, aerial threat, and extra link up option would be plain stupid, plus i rekn he would rinse our medium defenders.

I rekn the club will get it done, and he'll be handsomely compensated to others dismay.

According to BFooty posters they all know how much salary cap clubs have.

The only thing I know for sure is Reid’s contract has clauses covering takeaway drive throughs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back