A 100 goal season & Joe Daniher: is he overwhelmingly the most capable player of achieving it again?

Is Daniher overwhelmingly the only player capable of kicking 100 goals in a season?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 133 84.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a part of me that was hopeful he would pick the Swans even though there was a 99.9% chance he was going to nominate Essendon but right now I am not entirely sure if I would want him. WHen he is on he is very good but when he is bad he saps the energy of the midfield who work so hard to get the ball to him and then he butchers it, undoing all their good work.

Restructuring the forward line to accomodate Stringer is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Doing it at the same time as Daniher is down on form makes it worse.

Stringer applies the defensive pressure of a key forward, but doesn't play offensively like one and doesn't demand a key defender. Unlike Hooker, teams will play a small on Stringer every week, run off of him at every opportunity and hope he only gets 1-2 cheapies or easy marks. Without Hooker there, it's a lot easier for the second/third KPD to drop off their man and cut off Daniher.

It seems Daniher really needs another genuine KPF next to him to excel. But if Essendon plonk Hooker back there with Daniher, Stringer and Stewart it'll be R50s for days. Will be interesting to see what Worsfold does.

In shocking touch at the moment, even Oscar McDonald touched him up today.

But he is still a gun. The way he flies for big marks and his sketchy set shot kicking are always prone to form/confidence. He will be back.

In shocking touch at the moment, even Oscar McDonald touched him up today.

But he is still a gun. The way he flies for big marks and his sketchy set shot kicking are always prone to form/confidence. He will be back.
You mean the same Oscar McDomald that’s bad the better of Hawkins, Hipwood, Brown, Roughead, and Riewoldt this year?

You mean the same Oscar McDomald that’s bad the better of Hawkins, Hipwood, Brown, Roughead, and Riewoldt this year?

Brown kicked 4.1 and had 7 score involvements and you’re claiming that as McDonald getting the better of him?

Of the others; Roughead kicked 3.1, had 15 disposals and 7 score involvements.

You can’t just randomly list all his matchups as wins - regardless of reality - to suit your argument.

Brown kicked 4.1 and had 7 score involvements and you’re claiming that as McDonald getting the better of him?

Of the others; Roughead kicked 3.1, had 15 disposals and 7 score involvements.

You can’t just randomly list all his matchups as wins - regardless of reality - to suit your argument.
You know score involvements include individual scoring shots, right? So Brown has 5 scoring shots and 2 other score involvements. You can’t just randomly list overlapping statistics - regardless of reality - to suit your argument.

Brown kicked two goals from cheap free kicks and another goal that wasn’t even on McDonald. Roughead kicked two goals right at the end of the game when it was all over, and a third goal on Frost. If you watched either game you’d have seen that McDonald had them both comfortably covered when it mattered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know score involvements include individual scoring shots, right? So Brown has 5 scoring shots and 2 other score involvements. You can’t just randomly list overlapping statistics - regardless of reality - to suit your argument.

Brown kicked two goals from cheap free kicks and another goal that wasn’t even on McDonald. Roughead kicked two goals right at the end of the game when it was all over, and a third goal on Frost. If you watched either game you’d have seen that McDonald had them both comfortably covered when it mattered

Yep, everyone is aware of how score involvements work.

Why wasn’t McDonald on Brown the entire game if he was killing him? And giving away frees so your opponent kicks goals is almost worse than being outmarked/outplayed. You can’t just ignore his goals from free kicks because you’re unhappy about it.

Yep, everyone is aware of how score involvements work.

Why wasn’t McDonald on Brown the entire game if he was killing him? And giving away frees so your opponent kicks goals is almost worse than being outmarked/outplayed. You can’t just ignore his goals from free kicks because you’re unhappy about it.
I wasn’t sure if you did, because you seemed to be preaching some kind of high ground when it comes to using evidence to support arguments while blatantly misrepresenting Brown’s performance yourself

Eh, if they’re soft free kicks I’ll do whatever I want. This thread isn’t about McDonald so it’s just a bonus really

In the modern era the 100 goal a season milestone is lamented as a relic of the past, thanks to modern day structures and full ground press tactics. Some wonder whether we will ever see another 100 goal season again, whereas some believe it's cyclical, and that at some golden point in the future we'll again see the return of the full-forward centurion.

But maybe the milestone might not be achieved by a full forward. And Joe Daniher might just be the man of the moment.

Obviously the first reason why this thesis is going to be derided is his kicking. And that is a very valid criticism and it may well be true. If Daniher doesn't improve his set shot kicking for goal he will never come close to the century. Fair call. Acknowledged. Yes I heard you, you're right. You don't need to go on about it. Well, ok then, maybe you do.

See, the thing is, everyone can see the guy has an absolutely beautiful kicking mechanic, when he's on the run. Seeing him pin the ears back outside 50 he rarely misses. Hell, the guy can sell candy and dob them from outside 50 off just a step or two. So it's a matter of whether he can translate that obvious ability to his set shots that are going to be his biggest challenge.

That will be closely followed by the quality of the delivery he gets. Up until recently it hasn't been great. Hopefully it can be good enough moving forwards not to be an issue, at least for large blocks of time. But this isn't going to be as big an issue as you might think, and as it might be for most other players.

Here's why Daniher is overwhelmingly the most likely player to kick 100 goals again:

He has the capacity to generate enough shots.

It's that simple.

He's already doing it now. If he could convert a good number of misses and OOBs to goals he is already a good chunk of the way there.

Because Daniher is an extraordinarily mobile player who can play a combination of ruck and CHF, he is not held back by structures in the same way that other players are. He isn't dependent as much as others on how the ball is coming to him. He can generate the shots.

There are some other remarkably talented forwards in the comp, and let's hope there are some others who can do it too if he can. But Joe Daniher is almost the complete package.

Can he do it? If so why? If not, why not? (Yes I can still hear you, kicking - got it!) Who else can do it, and why? Should I be keeping it in my pants or is it a valid topic for discussion? I can't wait to find out
Lol.....

I wasn’t sure if you did, because you seemed to be preaching some kind of high ground when it comes to using evidence to support arguments while blatantly misrepresenting Brown’s performance yourself

Eh, if they’re soft free kicks I’ll do whatever I want. This thread isn’t about McDonald so it’s just a bonus really

Your second paragraph sums it up. You know you can’t just disregard goals from free kicks, so McDonald didn’t get the better of Brown. He has been going okay this year though, there’s no need to claim wins that aren’t there.

Your second paragraph sums it up. You know you can’t just disregard goals from free kicks, so McDonald didn’t get the better of Brown. He has been going okay this year though, there’s no need to claim wins that aren’t there.
Nah he beat Brown, your entire argument sums up that you didn’t watch the game

Polls are closed, votes are in: congratulations Lance you've made the worst thread Toump Ass has looked at on bigfooty today.

For your prize I'm giving you 1 x recycled gag:
images_premature.jpg

Joey D is the Mark Jamar of All-Australian forwards; he'll be lucky to be in the Top 50 goal-kickers this year.

Needs to shave the mo too.

Gotta love the moderators moving this off the main board to save the OPs blushes. This should have gone straight to the Bay

Remove this Banner Ad

A 100 goal season & Joe Daniher: is he overwhelmingly the most capable player of achieving it again?

Back