A . Davey Set To Play Against Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

peterboy7

Rookie
Dec 24, 2003
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
spewing we didnt pick this boy up he is going to be a gun and is the fastest play on any afl list, i just hope that he doesnt kick a bag on us.

ps: go easy on us aaron

Not too concerned that we didn't pick him up, Our two Aboriginal starts in Daniel Wells and Daniel Motlop will become 'The Duo' incredble athletic football stars of the future.

Originally posted by benno87
Not too concerned that we didn't pick him up, Our two Aboriginal starts in Daniel Wells and Daniel Motlop will become 'The Duo' incredble athletic football stars of the future.

Dont leave Eddie out dude!

Wrath

Im very interested to see how he goes, with an AFL pre-season under his belt.

When he came to Port last season it was an interrupted preperation for him, coming over, very young child etc...

Should be interesting to see how much game time he gets in the Wizard wok.

Carna Borough!,
onslaught
http://vflfooty.com

There is an obvious reason as to why Aaron Davey was overlooked by ALL clubs in the National draft and again by ALL clubs in the Pre-season draft thats about 100 or so picks!
I dont know the reason but there is something that all AFL clubs new about him that the normal mug in the outter like me didnt know for him to be overlooked by 16 clubs twice over.

Having a stab i would say that even though he had a great home and away season,come finals time when all of the clubs and footy world were watching the VFL finals series,he may have not shown enough to warranted a spot.
But who am i to say,im just a mug in the outter.

I cast an eye out on Davey a while ago and the observations I made just from that were such:

1. He's very small. Not only a weed, but not tall either making one very small package. Also his body type doesn't seem to be the type to really pack on a lot of beef on, plus it may detract from point 2.

2. His only weapon is his speed, and one significant injury (which is likely to happen in an AFL intensity match) and it's all over.

3. He hasn't got Milne/Phil Matera type smarts, and hasn't got infallible skills to turn to (like a Jeremy Clayton) when he has somebody just as fast or stronger than him which nullify his effectiveness

4. He's not a marking forward, so he's very one dimensional, crumbing, left-sided, wingman/forward who is only effective in space.

5. He's not naturally defensive (although he did improve), and in Melbourne FC he's never going to get better at this. Plus because of point 1, he's not a very effective tackler, but because of point 2 he can get not just to 1 but to 3 opposition players all on his own.

The good side though is that he's a spark. He can really ignite a team and is a real crowd favourite and Melbourne need one oif those. I'm not saying he'll do it consistently or even show it at AFL level because of the intensity he's likely to feel, but it is a pro. Another good thing is that no one can chase him. I mean no one, his legs move up and down like nothing i've ever seen before, this allows him to break away from packs very quickly which could allow him to snap a goal/set someone up/chase someone. However he has a real potential to be a real flash in the pan type Digby Morrell, where after a year everyone knows how to play him and he just doesn't have the extra strings to his bow to keep improving.

But that's my rant, he could well shove it in my face and become a titan of the game, but hey good luck to him, it'd be great to hear he's done so.

Davey will probably explode onto the AFL scene with a few blistering performances before he is quickly worked out. A bit like a Gary Dhurrkay. Hopefully one of those blistering performances isn't against us!

Good luck to Aaron,and I would have liked for us to have picked him up if only for the excitement he'll generate in the Wiz cup when there's no defensive pressure applied.Mark my words,this guy will be the talk of the town for a few weeks in March. Unfortunately he'll be slogging it out for Sandy by July and delisted at the end of 2005. Pace is a wonderful thing but it can't be the only thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting responses here. It seems as though none of you give him any scope for improvement at all. I will admit he needs a lot of work on what I saw last year in Sandringham's win over Port Melb. He has had a very good pre-season & provided he remains fit, he will line up at Manuka.

I reckon if we hadn't snapped him up when we did, North would've. I doubt the comments on Aaron would've been as negative as the ones I've read here.

Enough Roo mates were well ****ed off at the time which tells me he was worth the punt.

Cheers Roos.

Originally posted by NeoBlaze
I cast an eye out on Davey a while ago and the observations I made just from that were such:

1. He's very small. Not only a weed, but not tall either making one very small package. Also his body type doesn't seem to be the type to really pack on a lot of beef on, plus it may detract from point 2.

2. His only weapon is his speed, and one significant injury (which is likely to happen in an AFL intensity match) and it's all over.

3. He hasn't got Milne/Phil Matera type smarts, and hasn't got infallible skills to turn to (like a Jeremy Clayton) when he has somebody just as fast or stronger than him which nullify his effectiveness

4. He's not a marking forward, so he's very one dimensional, crumbing, left-sided, wingman/forward who is only effective in space.

5. He's not naturally defensive (although he did improve), and in Melbourne FC he's never going to get better at this. Plus because of point 1, he's not a very effective tackler, but because of point 2 he can get not just to 1 but to 3 opposition players all on his own.

The good side though is that he's a spark. He can really ignite a team and is a real crowd favourite and Melbourne need one oif those. I'm not saying he'll do it consistently or even show it at AFL level because of the intensity he's likely to feel, but it is a pro. Another good thing is that no one can chase him. I mean no one, his legs move up and down like nothing i've ever seen before, this allows him to break away from packs very quickly which could allow him to snap a goal/set someone up/chase someone. However he has a real potential to be a real flash in the pan type Digby Morrell, where after a year everyone knows how to play him and he just doesn't have the extra strings to his bow to keep improving.

But that's my rant, he could well shove it in my face and become a titan of the game, but hey good luck to him, it'd be great to hear he's done so.

i think he is smarter then all those players you just said, and your pretty much saying his got no skill?? his more skillful then all those players you just said.

but we will have to wait and see, my bet is he will become a star once he gets going, good luck to him...

Originally posted by peterboy7
i think he is smarter then all those players you just said, and your pretty much saying his got no skill?? his more skillful then all those players you just said.

but we will have to wait and see, my bet is he will become a star once he gets going, good luck to him...

I agree, good luck to the lad. However we really had to choose between Shane Harvey and Davey. Time will tell, but I reckon we made the correct decision.

Originally posted by peterboy7

i hope your right, nothing better than seeing an aboriginal player ripping the competition up!

Remove this Banner Ad

A . Davey Set To Play Against Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back