A Fed Gov funded NRL team in PNG vs an AFL team in NT

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m a long time afl fan who’s newer to league and have watched them spectacularly score their fair share of own goals since I’ve moved to NSW, but just off top of my head he’s accomplished the following

• His Covid management of getting games back on was the best of all codes
  • Did a good job renegotiating their tv deal
  • Their PnL has been significantly improved under his tenure (and more well managed)
  • Ventures like the Vegas launch I personally think is a great growth opportunity
  • He’s used political clout to get a lot of big league specific stadium deals off the ground
Umm no. He is a used car salesman that takes the cheapest hits for the biggest pops.
What stadium deals?
Vegas was a betting trip the yanks didn’t care or even know.
Covid games wasn’t a win.
As for tv deal, less than the AFL even though ratings are higher and there is a ton of opportunity for advertisers.

I keep hearing this, but am yet to see any evidence.
From the evidence i see, the AFL is starting to look a bit like the basket caee administration the NRL used to be.
V’Landys is clearly a strong leader whereas Andrew Dillon has massive Dennis Denuto vibes.

Umm no. He is a used car salesman that takes the cheapest hits for the biggest pops.
What stadium deals?
Vegas was a betting trip the yanks didn’t care or even know.
Covid games wasn’t a win.
As for tv deal, less than the AFL even though ratings are higher and there is a ton of opportunity for advertisers.
Just on the last, if the AFL didn't get more for their deal they would be doing something very, very wrong.

While the NRL gets bigger ratings AFL games are significantly longer. This article suggests even with a lower audience AFL watchers still rack up about 30% more screen time: https://www.footyindustry.com/2023/07/19/afl-and-nrl-tv-ratings/

Additionally the AFL have 3 breaks instead of 1 and much more scoring where ads can be played (think 25-35 goals per game compared to 4 - 6 tries). So longer engagement and more ads.

When compared to the AFL, the only thing the NRL has going for it when negotiating a TV contract is the 3 x state of origin games.

Just on the last, if the AFL didn't get more for their deal they would be doing something very, very wrong.

While the NRL gets bigger ratings AFL games are significantly longer. This article suggests even with a lower audience AFL watchers still rack up about 30% more screen time: https://www.footyindustry.com/2023/07/19/afl-and-nrl-tv-ratings/

Additionally the AFL have 3 breaks instead of 1 and much more scoring where ads can be played (think 25-35 goals per game compared to 4 - 6 tries). So longer engagement and more ads.

When compared to the AFL, the only thing the NRL has going for it when negotiating a TV contract is the 3 x state of origin games.

Well said.

Nice to know I’m not alone in recognizing Vlandys is doing a good job. It’s pretty obvious to see in comparison to the basket case show running the AFL right now.

Everything he’s touched has turned to goal and if he can successfully negotiate the 3 extra teams before 2030 as predicted, the spectacular tv rights increase from 2 extra games per week will reverberate around the Australian sporting landscape.

Well said.

Nice to know I’m not alone in recognizing Vlandys is doing a good job. It’s pretty obvious to see in comparison to the basket case show running the AFL right now.

Everything he’s touched has turned to goal and if he can successfully negotiate the 3 extra teams before 2030 as predicted, the spectacular tv rights increase from 2 extra games per week will reverberate around the Australian sporting landscape.
🤣 Vegas wasn’t gold, it was a paid trip for media and higher ups for a gambling run.
Didn’t do jack to grow the game in the US.

🤣 Vegas wasn’t gold, it was a paid trip for media and higher ups for a gambling run.
Didn’t do jack to grow the game in the US.
Of course it won’t grow the game in the US. After 25 years of propping up a team in Melbourne, 90% of people there wouldn’t be able to tell you the name of a player.
They’re not gonna ‘crack’ the US. The US already has a crowded sporting market, with a heap of established sports that are frankly just much better than rugba league.
Still doesn’t mean games in Las Vegas isn’t a great way to start the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t know the NRL like I do. I grew up with the sport, only reason it still exists is the fans, the leadership has always been inept.

NT may not be a failure but when there is Canberra full time and WA3 ahead of it, it’s silly.
Northern territory team in the AFL wouldn't work as there is only 150,000 in Darwin.

If there was 500,000 people in Darwin and decent infrastructure in the city, I would consider it.

As you said, Canberra and 3rd WA side makes sense.

Canberra has only 400,000 but at least it's not daunting for the AFL side to travel to Victoria or NSW.

3rd WA side makes sense. WA population is growing.

Northern territory team in the AFL wouldn't work as there is only 150,000 in Darwin.

If there was 500,000 people in Darwin and decent infrastructure in the city, I would consider it.

As you said, Canberra and 3rd WA side makes sense.

Canberra has only 400,000 but at least it's not daunting for the AFL side to travel to Victoria or NSW.

3rd WA side makes sense. WA population is growing.

I wish Google would update that stat. It's old and only includes the ACT.

The ACT has about 475k people. Canberra-Queanbeyan has about 525k, and within 70 mins, we've got about 600k.

Seems like a fitting place for an NRL team. The players should fit in well:

• Civil disorder, rioting and looting can escalate rapidly. Always pay close attention to your personal security and your surroundings. Australian officials always follow heightened security measures, including while travelling through PNG. Avoid high-risk areas and activities and consider using private security.
  • Kidnapping can happen with criminal motives. There have been incidents of kidnapping in remote areas and near some mining sites. Targets have included foreigners.
  • The risk of violent crime and sexual assault in PNG is high. Criminals often use 'bush knives' (machetes) and guns (including homemade ones). Always be alert to your surroundings. Avoid going out after dark.
  • Civil disorder and criminal activity have occurred at tourist resorts. Keep doors and windows locked, including when travelling by vehicle. Consider using private security.

Said there was plenty of opportunity for ads, and there are, not there was more or less than the AFL.

View attachment 2058523

For those doubting Vlandys.
No one watched the last game over there and the stadium was all expat Aussies, Kiwis and Pom’s.
It was a gambling trip and paid Vacation for Fox League commentators.

The last line is the major part, could not will.

As said previous, he is a used car salesman.

No one watched the last game over there and the stadium was all expat Aussies, Kiwis and Pom’s.
It was a gambling trip and paid Vacation for Fox League commentators.

The last line is the major part, could not will.

As said previous, he is a used car salesman.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the next iteration as it airs on the main Fox channel to a substantially larger audience.

Fantastic 600m down the drain. Why is the government funding this?
Chinese influence is pretty significant and growing in PNG. A shockingly high number of local businesses are owned and operated by Chinese, even in small cities) and there are pretty clearly calculated efforts on the part of the CCP to pull the PNG into the Chinese sphere of influence.
In the meantime, PNG are playing China and the west off against one another (and why wouldn’t they?)
For me, $600m is a small price to pay to build stronger links with our nearest neighbour. And to be honest it’s just an innovative extension of what we’re already doing. DFAT have a large number of staff permanently based in PNG delivering significant aid and development programs.

Seems like a fitting place for an NRL team. The players should fit in well:

• Civil disorder, rioting and looting can escalate rapidly. Always pay close attention to your personal security and your surroundings. Australian officials always follow heightened security measures, including while travelling through PNG. Avoid high-risk areas and activities and consider using private security.
  • Kidnapping can happen with criminal motives. There have been incidents of kidnapping in remote areas and near some mining sites. Targets have included foreigners.
  • The risk of violent crime and sexual assault in PNG is high. Criminals often use 'bush knives' (machetes) and guns (including homemade ones). Always be alert to your surroundings. Avoid going out after dark.
  • Civil disorder and criminal activity have occurred at tourist resorts. Keep doors and windows locked, including when travelling by vehicle. Consider using private security.
And from today’s news -
https://www.news.com.au/world/pacif...g/news-story/0130ebb368a0e22d8991a4eb1b5a043a
“… People in three villages dotted along the Sepik River were suddenly attacked by a gang of men armed with guns, knives, wire catapults, machetes and axes. About 33 men from a youth gang called “I don’t care” initially burned houses and killed an elderly man, and a five-year-old boy in the Angrumara village about 4am on July 17.

At 5am the next day, the village of Tambari was attacked while most of the villagers slept. A number of men were murdered and women and young girls were r*ped and killed.

The official death toll is 26 people, including 16 children, however there are fears it could rise to 50. …

Earlier this year, the UN urged PNG to address the root causes of escalating tribal violence in the country after dozens were killed in a particularly violent clash between rival tribes. Conflicts among 17 tribal groups had progressively escalated since elections in 2022 over issues including land disputes and clan rivalries …”

Remove this Banner Ad

A Fed Gov funded NRL team in PNG vs an AFL team in NT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back