A Fed Gov funded NRL team in PNG vs an AFL team in NT

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year it was on a different channel. That’s the point.
Most-watched program in the last 12 months for Fox Sports 1 and Fox fta both clocked in at 4.37 million viewers (MLB and The Masked Singer, respectively).

The channel isn't to blame for the NRL only pulling 61k (or 44k for the second match).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the next iteration as it airs on the main Fox channel to a substantially larger audience.
Doesn’t mean they watch it.

This is a gambling trip mixed with a foxNRL travel run.

Won’t do jack shit for the sport played in America and a waste of funds, as shown by them ditching hosting rights of the World Cup.

Said there was plenty of opportunity for ads, and there are, not there was more or less than the AFL.
Umm no. He is a used car salesman that takes the cheapest hits for the biggest pops.
What stadium deals?
Vegas was a betting trip the yanks didn’t care or even know.
Covid games wasn’t a win.
As for tv deal, less than the AFL even though ratings are higher and there is a ton of opportunity for advertisers.

NRL should be putting teams in NZ2 (NZ is going League crazy) and Perth(3rd biggest juniors for league in the country)
What a stupid metric. it would be about the tenth most participated sport in Western Australia and I'm not even being hyperbolic. Rugby Union would have it comfortably covered, even.

I’m a long time afl fan who’s newer to league and have watched them spectacularly score their fair share of own goals since I’ve moved to NSW, but just off top of my head he’s accomplished the following

• His Covid management of getting games back on was the best of all codes
  • Did a good job renegotiating their tv deal
  • Their PnL has been significantly improved under his tenure (and more well managed)
  • Ventures like the Vegas launch I personally think is a great growth opportunity
  • He’s used political clout to get a lot of big league specific stadium deals off the ground

The AFL got their Gather Round idea from the NRL's, Magic Round.

What a stupid metric. it would be about the tenth most participated sport in Western Australia and I'm not even being hyperbolic. Rugby Union would have it comfortably covered, even.
Not stupid at all.

It’s a factual thing. Not saying it’s huge compared to other sports but if considering expansion then it’s one of the major spots.

Code warz bullshit is always the funniest thing in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chinese influence is pretty significant and growing in PNG. A shockingly high number of local businesses are owned and operated by Chinese, even in small cities) and there are pretty clearly calculated efforts on the part of the CCP to pull the PNG into the Chinese sphere of influence.
In the meantime, PNG are playing China and the west off against one another (and why wouldn’t they?)
For me, $600m is a small price to pay to build stronger links with our nearest neighbour. And to be honest it’s just an innovative extension of what we’re already doing. DFAT have a large number of staff permanently based in PNG delivering significant aid and development programs.
The NRL might actually be good at putting a team into a corrupt failed state whose government loves sucking up to Beijing.

After all, they do have a team in Victoria.

The AFL got their Gather Round idea from the NRL's, Magic Round.
The NRL got the idea from English rugby league. See the bottom of this page:

Seeing as it would appear you know the viewing figures for the 2025 NRL season opener, care to tell us who won the 2024 AFL premiership while you’re at it? 😆
Probably Sydney, but nowhere near as sure a thing as the NRL ratings tanking in America again next year.

I can also tell you how a PNG team turns out too, if you're dumb and really need the help!

Dunno man, give them $60 million and I reckon they will go ok.

Probably terrible on the road but unbeatable at home.

Give a team in Toowoomba or Geraldton $60 million and they'll do okay, too.

But who's paying for that?

The PNG proposal is foreign aid designed to keep PNG in Australia's sphere. There's no justifiable reason for the government to fork out $60m for an NT AFL team.

And without an absurd amount of government funding, an NT AFL team is a ridiculous idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

A Fed Gov funded NRL team in PNG vs an AFL team in NT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back