A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...e-for-aleague-grand-final-20120420-1xbxr.html

Perth Glory coach Ian Ferguson is leaning towards taking a double punt on the injury front in Sunday's A-League grand final against Brisbane Roar, with winger Andrezinho and midfielder Liam Miller likely to retain their starting roles.

Andrezinho, who injured his groin in last Saturday's preliminary final win over Central Coast, has failed to train all week but flew over to Brisbane with the rest of the squad on Friday.

Ferguson said he would make a final call on Andrezinho at training on Saturday but rated the 27-year-old as a 60 per cent chance to start against the Roar.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Miller's chances are even stronger, with the former Manchester United midfielder almost certain to play despite experiencing tightness in his hamstring at training on Wednesday.

Taking injured players into GFs rarely ends well. The only example I can think of it coming off was Lappin in 2003, and even then that is very circumstantial because 1) he had plenty of mates to help him out and 2) he was playing a rubbish Collingwood side.

Taking injured players into GFs rarely ends well. The only example I can think of it coming off was Lappin in 2003, and even then that is very circumstantial because 1) he had plenty of mates to help him out and 2) he was playing a rubbish Collingwood side.

Agreed. I would not risk it. Why give an already strong Roar side even more of an advantage. Perjaps play them off the bench later but certainly not starters when it's going to be hard and bruising footy at the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back