A Message to all the fair weather WC 'supporters' who have come out of the woodwork.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dissapointed hugely by the loss but now we can sit back and wait for all the trade shenanigans. Plus watching the highlights of the season in the brownlow coverage should make for some great moments from this year on monday.

The wash up of this game will confirm what many people think re players being knackered or carrying injuries.

Still what a year!

Geelong were good enough that we were constantly in a state of reactionary play, and so we could not really get the chance to implement our gameplan properly.

They have had a shitload of finals experience and we are a side with buggerall. And it ****ing showed today. We were the noobs.

We have had a dream run, but lets be realistic. We are the 4th side in VFL/AFL history to do what we did this year. By all means pick the game apart, but have respect for what we've acheived and the discipline the players have showed to pull it all together.

Geelong were good enough that we were constantly in a state of reactionary play, and so we could not really get the chance to implement our gameplan properly.

They have had a shitload of finals experience and we are a side with buggerall. And it ****ing showed today. We were the noobs.

We have had a dream run, but lets be realistic. We are the 4th side in VFL/AFL history to do what we did this year. By all means pick the game apart, but have respect for what we've acheived and the discipline the players have showed to pull it all together.

Hear hear. No reason for everyone to get their knickers in a knot. It has been a good year. We'll be better for it.

I found it hard to get annoyed by those players who were under performing. when ever someone didn't do some thing right, my mind would just wonder back to what they had done for us this year. Players like embley won us games earlier in the year that got us to 4th spot in the first place. he's allowed a few shockers a year.

Supporters who can't accept that others share their negative views need to stop acting like princesses and HTFU. Their constant whining and longing for conformity is just as embarrassing as folk who wish death upon certain players who spud it up.

Everyone is entitled to their say, one way or the other.

For whatever reason(s), most of the players out there today were not able to perform and have an impact on a par with the rest of the season, and this is of course disappointing. However, every one of those players had made real and significant contributions over the course of the year to get us to this point. For that they deserve recognition and appreciation. Today's performance was obviously an aberration, not an indication of our efforts and achievements over the whole season. To acknowledge this does not mean that we accept mediocrity, or will sit back and rest on our laurels. I am sure that the players and club as a whole are hurting a whole lot more than us - they certainly invest a lot more than we mere spectators do. I have no doubt that they will learn from the experience they gained in this years finals, and will hopefully come back next year ready to progress even further.

Supporters who can't accept that others share their negative views need to stop acting like princesses and HTFU. Their constant whining and longing for conformity is just as embarrassing as folk who wish death upon certain players who spud it up.

Haha awesome.

I didn't go on the forum yesterday, but I'm surprised that such a thread has needed to be written.

OK, so we finished last in 2010 and this year we were 4th after the home and away season, and after the final standings.

Our last 5 games have included 2 trips to Melbourne and one to Brisbane.

We took it up to last year's Premiers at the 'G 2 weeks ago.

Won one of the best games you're likely to see over Carlton last week

Got thumped yesterday by a side that was been one of the benchmarks over the last 5 years, that was far too good on the day.

If we were ever going to be a serious threat we needed to pinch the QF against Collingwood to get a rest and a home PF.

Yesterday was a good lesson for the boys, what they need to be able to do throughout all of September to lay claim to be the best of the best.

Some clubs drift in and out of the top 8, historically when the Eagles start climbing the ladder it seems to cumulate with the ultimate success. I hope that trend continues.

Whilst disappointed with the result yesterday I am very proud of the efforts of the players in the team that I support throughout the year, they have given me great pleasure. 17 H&A and 1 final win was just a wonderful effort.

Reality is Geelong could have and probably would have shut down any side in the competition by that margin in a preliminary final, not just us. Collingwood finished top and I wont be at all surprised if they get absolutely belted next week. We have nothing to be ashamed of, Geelong are a finals hardened old team trying to get in one last flag, we're a young team looking to kick off an era of success.

I didn't come on this board after the game for this exact reason. **** em Band Wagon supporters that have never held true to the cause,club and players. Scooter said during the week we had the best supporters in the comp. I hope he doesn't come on here.

Yes the game was woeful, they were knackered and at times disposal was dismal. But this is Geelong after a week off i might add in a prelim at the MCG. Cut them some slack, this will only make them stronger. To play so well all year and go out like that. Upside is all this club has got and if can't see that then **** off, support Fremantle, we don't want ya and we don't ****ing need ya. To all those who were critical but objective in doing so i've got no issues with you just the traitors who wear our colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't people wanting conformity or not being able to handle negative views. It is the extreme negative views on here that is annoying. People can't have reasonable discussions. Calling for players to be dropped, hoping our players get injured so they can't play, asking for players contracts to be torn up (players who everyone was toasting getting new 1 year contracts only a week ago), etc.

It is ridiculous that people can't stand back from a loss to one of the greatest teams of the last few decades and be a bit reasonable. It is ridiculous that these people actually probably thought we were going to win. So, they were extreme in their assessments of our capabilities before and then now swing so much back the other way. They're often the same people that were calling for everyone to be dropped last year, then earlier this year were admitting they were wrong, and have now gone back to their 2010 position, after only one bad game against a good side. Either that, or they're 2011 joiners, all happily on the bandwagon until yesterday. Now, they're making some ridiculous calls just like their 2010 negative nancy brethren.

I just don't get it. We had a good season. Many of our players were down yesterday after a tough past month. What more could we have really expected??

I hope once the dust settles we can all just look forward to improvement in 2012 and have some reasonable discussion about how we can improve this team. Let's try and not throw the baby out with the bathwater and not want to drop every player who didn't have 25+ disposals at a 90%+ DE, as there were none of those in our team.

It isn't people wanting conformity or not being able to handle negative views. It is the extreme negative views on here that is annoying. People can't have reasonable discussions. Calling for players to be dropped, hoping our players get injured so they can't play, asking for players contracts to be torn up (players who everyone was toasting getting new 1 year contracts only a week ago), etc.

It is ridiculous that people can't stand back from a loss to one of the greatest teams of the last few decades and be a bit reasonable. It is ridiculous that these people actually probably thought we were going to win. So, they were extreme in their assessments of our capabilities before and then now swing so much back the other way. They're often the same people that were calling for everyone to be dropped last year, then earlier this year were admitting they were wrong, and have now gone back to their 2010 position, after only one bad game against a good side. Either that, or they're 2011 joiners, all happily on the bandwagon until yesterday. Now, they're making some ridiculous calls just like their 2010 negative nancy brethren.

I just don't get it. We had a good season. Many of our players were down yesterday after a tough past month. What more could we have really expected??

I hope once the dust settles we can all just look forward to improvement in 2012 and have some reasonable discussion about how we can improve this team. Let's try and not throw the baby out with the bathwater and not want to drop every player who didn't have 25+ disposals at a 90%+ DE, as there were none of those in our team.

Great post.

:thumbsu:

It'd be great to always have only reasonable discussion on here, but that's simply an unreasonable expectation. Reasonable is relative. Where's the line drawn? Who dictates what is and what isn't. What's reasonable to some, isn't reasonable to others. Given this, the constant outcry from those who can't stomach what they deem to be unreasonable views need to do the only thing they can do - control what they post and ignore what they don't like.

There's some extreme views the other way - like GE, with his rose coloured glasses. There's little bemoaning of that though. So, is the issue really about unreasonableness, or is it simply intolerance to views which differ from your ideal?

If extremely unreasonable views get put forth after a loss, use some discernment and take such comments for what they likely are - just the blowing off of steam.

Everyone being allowed to openly have various opinions means we all at some stage are going to have to tolerate what we personally deem intolerable. That's how it is in life outside this forum, and how it should play out here too.

Something else to consider is that all this bleating about poor individual performances is desrespectful to the opposition. Geelong were bloody awesome yesterday. Well drilled and thoroughly professional. They thumped us, they thumped Hawthorn, they'll probably thump Collingwood.

We played one bad game, unfortunately, it was the prelim final. But let's put it in perspective here, as the OP stated, we have come from last to be playing one win away from the big dance.
We have had a long season, 25 games, bodies are tired and we haven't had a season that long since 2006. Even the 2007 boys didn't make it to the prelim and that side contained one C Judd and B Cousins.

Sure, analyse the performance of players, but to make assertions about their long term future on this analysis reeks of fairweather. If you intend to roast, roast, roast, take it to dockerland.com, they will gladly accept that rubbish there.

This :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Something else to consider is that all this bleating about poor individual performances is desrespectful to the opposition. Geelong were bloody awesome yesterday. Well drilled and thoroughly professional. They thumped us, they thumped Hawthorn, they'll probably thump Collingwood.

They are superb and are peaking at the right time.

For us however when you have 22 players you have hundreds of little problems to fix as far as training, tacticts and execution go. Why is this week different from any other week, players will get criticized as will the coaches. Toughen up folks.

It'd be great to always have only reasonable discussion on here, but that's simply an unreasonable expectation. Reasonable is relative. Where's the line drawn? Who dictates what is and what isn't. What's reasonable to some, isn't reasonable to others. Given this, the constant outcry from those who can't stomach what they deem to be unreasonable views need to do the only thing they can do - control what they post and ignore what they don't like.

There's some extreme views the other way - like GE, with his rose coloured glasses. There's little bemoaning of that though. So, is the issue really about unreasonableness, or is it simply intolerance to views which differ from your ideal?

If extremely unreasonable views get put forth after a loss, use some discernment and take such comments for what they likely are - just the blowing off of steam.

Everyone being allowed to openly have various opinions means we all at some stage are going to have to tolerate what we personally deem intolerable. That's how it is in life outside this forum, and how it should play out here too.

LOL By that extension it is reasonable for me to tell them to get ****ed because their views differ from mine. So as you ask me to tolerate their views, i ask you to tolerate mine. And considering the passion that is in football and supporting a club when someone sledges my team, i see that as an extension of attacking my family or friends and therefore feel a need to express my disgust in them.

Like Family and Friends do i forgive them? Sure do, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to get their head pulled in when out of line.

I just have intolerance to those that are ridiculous. I am all for discussion of differing opinions. I think that is what makes this place good. It is the reason I signed up in the first place. The discussion on who people wanted traded after our 2006 GF win (I wanted us to go for Tarrant at the right price :eek:).

I am in another thread disagreeing with tiffpopo, but we are having a reasonable discussion around it, despite being on other sides of the fence. It can happen!

However, this place has become more extreme over the years I have been a member. It used to be only a few people with crazy views, now it seems to be a vocal minority that posts as a majority. People just throw out opinions on players and make ridiculous demands for them to exit the club without any sensibility or realism.

I think most WC supporters on here would think it went too far last year and after the game yesterday was looking the same. I agree much of it may be people blowing off steam, and I'm hoping it will die down and we can have some reasonable discussions this off season (unlike last) and I won't be constrained to the NFL board till the end of Feb.

LOL By that extension it is reasonable for me to tell them to get ****ed because their views differ from mine. So as you ask me to tolerate their views, i ask you to tolerate mine. And considering the passion that is in football and supporting a club when someone sledges my team, i see that as an extension of attacking my family or friends and therefore feel a need to express my disgust in them.

Like Family and Friends do i forgive them? Sure do, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to get their head pulled in when out of line.

There's a difference from having a supposedly unreasonable view of a thread's topic to that of abuse.

It's up to the moderators of this board as to whether they will tolerate abuse and adjudicate in accordance with the rules of this board. That has to be taken into consideration before you start telling folk you find unreasonable to "get ****ed."

By all means, express your disgust, just do it in accordance with the rules of the board, and there will be no problem.

It sounds as though you take what is said on this forum personally, and therefore, too seriously. Take what is said here for what it is - opinion.

If what you gleaned from my previous post was that if you have a contrary view to someone else, that you then feel it's ok to to dish up flat out abuse in return, then you've missed the point.

After the last 6 months, I don't understand how anyone could be this pissed off and upset. Just for playing the game yesterday, we will be a better team next year. We're still a young team on the rise, I just can't understand negativity after 2011.

I just have intolerance to those that are ridiculous. I am all for discussion of differing opinions. I think that is what makes this place good. It is the reason I signed up in the first place. The discussion on who people wanted traded after our 2006 GF win (I wanted us to go for Tarrant at the right price :eek:).

I am in another thread disagreeing with tiffpopo, but we are having a reasonable discussion around it, despite being on other sides of the fence. It can happen!

However, this place has become more extreme over the years I have been a member. It used to be only a few people with crazy views, now it seems to be a vocal minority that posts as a majority. People just throw out opinions on players and make ridiculous demands for them to exit the club without any sensibility or realism.

I think most WC supporters on here would think it went too far last year and after the game yesterday was looking the same. I agree much of it may be people blowing off steam, and I'm hoping it will die down and we can have some reasonable discussions this off season (unlike last) and I won't be constrained to the NFL board till the end of Feb.

Intolerance really is the problem here it seems, because what is supposedly "ridiculous" is something which is subjective.

I agree that reasonable discussion can happen here, but it shouldn't be expected because not everyone shares a common view on what is reasonable.

"More extreme" is subjective too. Broader opinions likely stem from the fact that BF has grown in members, hence the variety of opinions on here being bandied about.

Any crackdown on supposedly unreasonable opinions is what would be described as trying to bring conformity, as it's not against board rules to have such opinions.
Also, if we're trying to use majority rules as a guide, that's just a form of conformity, too.

We, as a group of fans, (board,) just have to deal with such opinions from time to time. Unless it's a troll, ignoring such is probably the best way of dealing with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

A Message to all the fair weather WC 'supporters' who have come out of the woodwork.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back