Roast A Public Relations Mess- Aug 24th 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

People should go listen to Petrie's and Boomers manager on SEN this morning, clears up some misunderstandings.
Not an ideal situation but can understand why the club did what it did. Dont 100% agree regarding Boomer but we are headed into a new chapter.
We (as fans) need to get around them (players) and give them the send off they deserve.

People should go listen to Petrie's and Boomers manager on SEN this morning, clears up some misunderstandings.
Not an ideal situation but can understand why the club did what it did. Dont 100% agree regarding Boomer but we are headed into a new chapter.
We (as fans) need to get around them (players) and give them the send off they deserve.

Heard that and it pretty much matched what I thought. The players were pushing - hard - for an answer before the end of the season. Once that decision is made there is no way to show respect to them other than to tell them that. They deserve the truth for all they have contributed, not to be strung along to save their feelings. Nobody likes break ups, but they happen.

Heard that and it pretty much matched what I thought. The players were pushing - hard - for an answer before the end of the season. Once that decision is made there is no way to show respect to them other than to tell them that. They deserve the truth for all they have contributed, not to be strung along to save their feelings. Nobody likes break ups, but they happen.
Yep, i can understand BF hyperbole, but the so called "experts" in the media.....should all be sacked, especially those that tipped Richmond to finish top 4 and Collingwood to finish in the 8. Experts my arse.

I think it's pretty obvious what's happened here.

NDS, Drew and Boomer expected to play on next year. They've been dropping hints via the media for the past few weeks. When the club hadn't confirmed/denied their extensions, they gave the club an ultimatum.

All three were surprised they didn't get an extension. All three didn't want to be forced to retire in front of the media as they've been publically quoted as saying they wanted to go on in 2017. Poor Spud knew that he was finished and was happy to retire, but the games record holder & two 300+ players kinda take the limelight. There's no way they could allow Spud to retire publically, and delist the other three.

So the club would have given them an option. Either all four of the boys front the media together, or none of you do. At least one of them said they're not going to publically retire, and would prefer the public perception to show them as pushed, so the club did what it had to do.

Now, I don't agree with the Twitter announcement and was shocked at the members email. But this doesn't seem like something North would have done willingly. We've never shied away from putting Geoff Walsh into a press conference to announce hard news, and it looked quite odd seeing Brads presser with him standing in front of sponsors backdrops just like a normal Wednesday pre-selection press conference.

I have to wonder if one (or more) of the guys threatened to break the story with the media? So the club had to hustle and get an announcement out ASAP.

Can't blame the club, the four guys in particular wanted an answer before the end of the season. You guys would be bitching if the club didn't give them an answer until after the season ended.

I am just not sure who Boomer is holding back from getting a game.

As an outsider to your club I don't find the delistings a bad decision but the timing is pretty poor leading into finals. Of the four I thought Boomer had another year in him. I wonder if he will try to source a one year contract elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know what else they could do. At the end of the day the players didn't want to front the media and I totally get that," Casley said.

"They will at the right time when they think it's appropriate, but they just don't think it's now when the focus is on the club winning a game of footy this week.

"So what else could the club do once the players were told?

"It was us pushing them. They would have preferred to hold off a bit longer (on making the decision) to be honest."

There is a chorus of why didn't they get a press conference?

They are still North players who still have games to play.

Yesterday's announcement won't be the last time the club says anything about them.

I mean f*** we had a carnival at 427 what do people actually think will happen when the 2 blokes who've pulled the jumper on more than anyone else actually finish up?

Exactly, if we wanted to show we could make the "hard" decisions, drop players even star players when they arent playing to the required level.
Scotts cant do that though!!

At what point this year would he have dropped Drew?

Then he what? Plays for Werribee? Doesn't get to 300?

There is a fair amount of wanting a cake and eating it too on the board in the last 24 hours.

The bagging of the club in the way "it was handled" is totally unwarranted.

In fact it borderlines on absurd - if anything, it is the players who are at fault in making it 'messy' by forcing a decision, and then not accepting what they heard hence no media appearances (yet).

Even Boomer's manager agrees by the following important comments:

Casley had no issue with North's handling of Wednesday's announcement, however, confirming Harvey and Petrie had forced the club's hand on the timing of the decision by pushing to know their fates as soon as possible.

"I don't know what else they could do. At the end of the day the players didn't want to front the media and I totally get that," Casley said.

"They will at the right time when they think it's appropriate, but they just don't think it's now when the focus is on the club winning a game of footy this week.

"So what else could the club do once the players were told?

"It was us pushing them. They would have preferred to hold off a bit longer (on making the decision) to be honest."

FFS I wish people could see the bigger picture and realize that if anything we've done the right thing by them by telling them now, rather than after end of season, where no on-field farewell can be given.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of the same stuff being rehashed here (including by me) but I just want to say that if Boomer had been treated differently than the others, it would have been fine from a PR point of view.

They completely misread one element and it's ****ed the whole thing up.

I'm disgusted. Poor decisions, poorly handled. I'd have given Boomer & NDS another year on reduced contracts. With other delistings & trades there'd be plenty of list spots and cap space to land a couple of big fish and still contend.

Players wanted to know this week and they didn't want to speak to the media.

What was the club supposed to do?

Ridiculous hysteria.

The decision should have been made and known to them several weeks ago.

The players pressured the Club because they weren't getting answers that they deserved .

Especially Boomer Drew Spud....

That's why it's amateur land.

The decision should have been made and known to them several weeks ago.

The players pressured the Club because they weren't getting answers that they deserved .

Especially Boomer Drew Spud....

That's why it's amateur land.

How on earth would that make a difference?

We'd be going through the same stuff three weeks earlier.

I have to wonder if one (or more) of the guys threatened to break the story with the media? So the club had to hustle and get an announcement out ASAP.

A collingwood fan posted on our forum yesterday am about this having happened so the word was already out then

No good way to announce it, they should have waited to release press release/twitter stuff once Brad had done the presser.
Hard to do some touchy feely send off when the players think they can go on.

Sometimes you can plan how you communicate big news. Sometimes you can't and you just have to make the best of the hand you have.

These guys insisted on being told before the last H&A game - they thought it would be good news but it wasn't, so then they didn't want to say any farewells until the season was actually over. So no big loving press conference was an option.

In the meantime, the leak had already made its way to our board yesterday, and once other players were told ASAP as they'd have to be, it would have been all over the media. Would leaving that to happen have been a better, more dignified way to announce this? To have Mark Stevens and those bottom-feeders reporting their scoops and chasing players to their cars while the team is trying to prepare for finals?

It is what it is. Club was in a corner of the players' making on timing and has tried to make the best of a difficult situation. I'd bet Boomer and his old teammates have more issue with the decision than the process but they are using the process as the focus to vent. Most of the other commentators are just hypocrites.

And I'll say again that being compared to Collingwood, who have no finals and retired a player who has been out of the game all year, is rank stupidity. They tweeted the retirements of two premiership players earlier in the week and that was accepted without comment. Suddenly the Swan farewell is the benchmark, when even they didn't do it for anyone else.

Finally, on the PR front. North has run the festival of Boomer for the best part of a year. It has been mutually beneficial and lovely for his family, friends and supporters. But it seems to have inflated his status in some eyes beyond what is reasonable. Cancel memberships rather than support North without one player? #standbyharvey - is that what we are?

Too much sense and logical thought in one post.

Too much of the blame is being put on the club. Once the players were told, why couldn't they come out and announce their retirements? Do they not want to retire? If they've all got dreams of playing on, then the club had no choice but to announce they would not be offered contracts.

That's not a response.

1. It could been managed without the sense of crisis.
2. Then it wouldn't have been the distraction that has become...
3. Leading into a Rd 23 must win game...
4. To get us a Home Final.

And before you jump up and down about non distractions...this is a team with the mental fragility evident in first quarter v Port and Hawks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast A Public Relations Mess- Aug 24th 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back