Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't sleep, so watched the 4th quarter again.

Pies get the centre clearance and waltz the ball forward under minimum pressure to Eliot, who sees Lipinski in a paddock of space 20m out straight in front, nails him with the handball and... lipinski fumbles it, we scrap it over the boundary.

Definitely some luck involved tonight

Pies get the centre clearance and waltz the ball forward under minimum pressure to Eliot, who sees Lipinski in a paddock of space 20m out straight in front, nails him with the handball and... lipinski fumbles it, we scrap it over the boundary.

Luck and playing a bottom 8 side

Look end of the day we looked like we would never score again let alone win last week.

Absolutely horseshit at times tonight, that type of play wont win a flag, but that spirit and winning feeling might get us back to something,

I don't know about the rest of you, shit week after last saturday, though my grandmother died today too didnt help, but the footy was worse.

This win mattered.

I also dont give a **** who gave up on what or who, enjoy the win
My sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your grandmother virtual 🤗

Heeneys last qtr was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen. A tonne of the ball, brutal contests won, clutch goal and monster marks. Just an insane level of footy.

For how good heeney was, mccartin was just as bad. He's like watching grand parent deterioate atm. His footy iq seems to be going backwards. His decision making is by far the worst in the league. He takes too long with the ball and has an uncanny ability to either turn the ball over or get pinged holding the ball when 99.9% of players would be able to force a ball up.

He is a pure liability out there atm
Given his experience he really needs to be playing second fiddle, or at least have a partner in crime.

He probably spent a great deal of effort in coaching Logan and half the time having Logan not where he expected him to be (not Logan’s fault).

Hopefully Rampe warming up and Melican coming back will help. He looked ecstatic after the win, so hopefully his confidence also starts to improve.

Heeneys last qtr was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen. A tonne of the ball, brutal contests won, clutch goal and monster marks. Just an insane level of footy.

For how good heeney was, mccartin was just as bad. He's like watching grand parent deterioate atm. His footy iq seems to be going backwards. His decision making is by far the worst in the league. He takes too long with the ball and has an uncanny ability to either turn the ball over or get pinged holding the ball when 99.9% of players would be able to force a ball up.

He is a pure liability out there atm
My heart is in my mouth atm when the ball goes anywhere near him. But let's face it. He's not alone in our defensive 50. As a collective, they are terribly out of form. The only way for us to effectively defend is to not let the ball get anywhere near the back 6. There is no way we can win a flag with the way we are currently defending.

Couple of reflections the morning after:
  1. There’s been a lot of talk about belief, which comes hand in hand with trust. In the final quarter we needed to throw caution to the wind, which also meant trusting one’s teammates to do their job and focus on yours. Suddenly we were no longer having three people go up with Pies thanking us the for crumbs, or not shepherding for each other because both players went for the ball, etc. I hope this is talked about the the club’s game review - you can only play fast open football when everyone is creating time and space for each other. We need to play as a team with each player having belief not just in themselves but in each other.
  2. When interviewed after the game, Gulden mentioned that burn out is a thing. Our playing style is taxing and it caught up with us. I reckon training loads will stay at moderate levels for the rest of the year for some of the players.
  3. Mills is best as a general out of defence, and our defence really needs leaders. Please let’s start him there next week. He can consider midfield next year after he earns that right by keeping fit over the pre-season.
  4. Melican is up there as one of our most important players. I think he has replaced McCartin as our most needed backman. Our defence was putrid that game - we need him back.
  5. Sidebottom absolutely smothered Gulden, and I am sure Gulden will take a lot of lessons from that for future. While Sidebottom also did a bit with the ball, I am not sure it was the worst thing in the context of the game. We had become too Gulden centric (he was almost like a half back in rugby with how often we went to him). Gulden being down meant other players could lift, which they slowly did during the game. I thought Campbell had a mixed game but there were lots of positives in there for him. At the start of the year, it used to be that you could stop 2 of our stars but our other players would still get you - let’s get back to that.
  6. Blakey will come good. Let’s keep persisting. Like McCartin he has been carrying a heavy load.
  7. Fox is not a forward. Fox is not a forward. Fox is not a forward. Let’s play him back, or as sub as more players return. Swans are best when the fantastic Mr Fox is sub.

Watching the last two minutes alone a lot could have gone wrong but somehow didn’t:

• McCreery free run a stoppage, great tackle Warner
  • Few plays later, Parker letting Jaicos run through the stoppage unchecked
  • The McStay non 50
  • In the next marking contest, Cunningham manhandles Pendlebury - have seen them paid
  • Boundary throw in deep in our D50. Not sure why Grundy was so far away but he fails to nominate. Cox could take the ball from ruck, could tap to a Pie uncontested, instead hits it to Blakey
  • Blakey under great closing pressure from McCreery scrambles a kick away. Moore slips a little costing him a chance to mark 40m out

Watching the last two minutes alone a lot could have gone wrong but somehow didn’t:

• The McStay non 50
  • In the next marking contest, Cunningham manhandles Pendlebury - have seen them paid
  • Boundary throw in deep in our D50. Not sure why Grundy was so far away but he fails to nominate. Cox could take the ball from ruck, could tap to a Pie uncontested, instead hits it to Blakey
  • Blakey under great closing pressure from McCreery scrambles a kick away. Moore slips a little costing him a chance to mark 40m out

must say the inability to nominate a ruck 30m out from their goal says something about where the teams head were at. everyone accountable for their man. no one thinking about the big picture. not only could cox take the ball we had no one near him at the time

anyway alls well that ends well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• The McStay non 50
I guess we were due a little luck

I don't understand the logic of playing logan back. If you are a key defender down, bring one in. It's not the move to make
On a positive note McDonald actually took some marks tonight - which is more than he's done in the forward line all year. So I disagree with everyone on here blasting Horse for playing him back. I think it might be good for his development to remember what taking a contested mark feels like. Was definitely a good move to bring him forward in the last though, will give you that.

Thank god I watched that away from home as I undoubtedly would have joined all the pea-hearts on the game day thread crapping the bed and roasting every last player. :tearsofjoy:
I logged on to the game day thread half way through the third quarter just to try and get some views on one particular umpiring decision that had occurred in front of me and quickly slammed the lid back on. It was pretty awful stuff.

I logged on to the game day thread half way through the third quarter just to try and get some views on one particular umpiring decision that had occurred in front of me and quickly slammed the lid back on. It was pretty awful stuff.

Generally umpiring is awful every week and completely out of your control you just hope and pray if its a close game they dont make a howler to cost you the game

Generally umpiring is awful every week and completely out of your control you just hope and pray if its a close game they dont make a howler to cost you the game
I wasn’t referring to the umpiring, I was referring to the gloom and doom from posters and some downright nastiness. Those sort of people get really shirty when you remind them it’s only a game, but it’s true - it’s only a game.

Initially I thought McDonald back was an ok call to release Blakey/Rampe from playing deep key back but Blakeys poor form and Fox being a horrible forward did hinder us a lot with this move.

To Logan’s credit he did an ok job down back but he needs to be our spearhead up forward.

I’m not a Florent fan and his first half was diabolical with his constant costly fumbles but you can’t deny he’s a good set shot at goal when he gets an opportunity. His last quarter was solid.

I wasn’t referring to the umpiring, I was referring to the gloom and doom from posters and some downright nastiness. Those sort of people get really shirty when you remind them it’s only a game, but it’s true - it’s only a game.

Oh game day threads yer i got sucked back into posting while watching the game instead of just watching the game :tearsofjoy:

Its not just a game for some tho most people need that win to get through whatever challenges they are facing so i tend to think about that before calling out someone passion.

Mods are in place for anything to vile or personal but i think 99% of it is fine.

Still in awe of what heeney and slightly lesser extent warner did in the last. That was the most dominant quarter I have ever seen in footy from heeney.

Chad was excellent. The last quarter was probably his most mature performance of his career. He was winning contests, bringing others into the game, laying big tackles. It sounds harsh but it's probably the first time he's ever really tried to lead from the front , and he did a fantastic job of it

Huge slice of luck. The rub of the green in the last.

The Pies came with a good game plan. It took some luck, and a final quarter for the ages from Isaac Heeney to deny them.
Not since Paul Kelly, and few others in the comp, perhaps Patty Cripps and the Bont.

Like how Luke Parker was used, forward then in the middle.
Not against the idea of Logan McDonald spending time down back. He gets a touch on the ball, plus an education on opposition forwards movement and leading patterns.
Rowbottom, Hayward and Roberts all important over 4 quarters.
Robbie Fox as a forward isn't working.

We need back (asap) Tom Papley and Lewis Melican.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back