Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

sorry bd but yep you do play favourites

Yeah, I like the boys in maroon, blue and gold the best. ;)

Like I said, would love Acorn to dump a truckload of eggs on my face. Just frustrates me right now to see him not making the most of it.

It's certainly a fixable situation. You can build a tank and learn to how to keep running while spent. You can't teach natural ability, but Acorn already has that part nailed. :)

i'm a bit of a corny fan, i would like to see him given a sustained go in the seniors to see what he can do, we already know he dominates at reserves level.

i would play cornelius as the third tall, & leave him there. Let him work on his endurance and the other parts of his game he needs to whilst fulilling that third tall role, he's certainly a better option and far more reliable than clark

I think cornelius needs a bit of stability, all this in and out of the side and down back stuff has to stop if we see cornelius has any long-term future.

i liken it in some ways to rocky, who took forever to get in to the senior side, but once he was in and stayed there, he has not looked back

With all the time that gets spent on defensive zones, I think there is a reluctance to play a weak link in the chain. The philosophy may well be that your defensive set up is only as strong as your weakest link. Lester may not have Cornelius' natural abilities as a forward, but he does have the athleticism to maintain the defensive structure.

The other thing I think going against Cornelius is that the opposition seemed to work him out fairly quickly. He had a good couple of games first up and then became easy pickings.

i liken it in some ways to rocky, who took forever to get in to the senior side, but once he was in and stayed there, he has not looked back

I see Rockliff as a completely different example. Rocky was made to earn his chance and took it with both hands. It wasn't the case that he was kept in the side when he wasn't worthy, it was the case that he made it impossible for him to be kept out of the side.

Cornelius should earn his chances and be rewarded if he takes them. If he doesn't then he doesn't deserve any free kicks.

Jed Adcock

Adcock said that youngsters Aaron Cornelius and Bryce Retzlaff had been particularly impressive in the Lions Reserves and could well be placed to fill the roles left by Brown and Staker.

“Aaron has been playing well in the Reserves and he is definitely a good opportunity to come and take that role in the forward line, along with Bryce Retzlaff,” Adcock said.

cornelius6.jpg

It would seem that Acorn is only a "needs based" selection at the moment rather than a "performance based" selection according to Voss in his post-match interview today. He is obviously not doing enough according to the coach/s. A real shame given his potential. Is he lazy?

It would seem that Acorn is only a "needs based" selection at the moment rather than a "performance based" selection according to Voss in his post-match interview today. He is obviously not doing enough according to the coach/s. A real shame given his potential. Is he lazy?

well Brown gets away with applying no defensive pressure. Voss just needs to get him in the team and see if he can make a impact with his strong hands and good kick for goal.

well Brown gets away with applying no defensive pressure.

That is because Brown uses his stamina to run his opponents ragged.

You have to have the runs on the board to get to play like that.

That is because Brown uses his stamina to run his opponents ragged.

You have to have the runs on the board to get to play like that.

Brown actually uses more body work & smart leads these days rather then that gut busting run that you still see the likes of reiwoldt making...I just think Cornelius showed heaps last year with the few games he was given. considering our severe lack of targets up forward holding cornelius back for "defensive aspects" of his game is just strange. defnsive aspects just aren't a key part of any key forwards game.

It's a shame if that's the case. This the time for Cornelius to show his worth to our team but even with a skeleton of a forward line, he still can't get a game because, as Voss also mentioned in his presser, he hasn't shown enough to get a call-up the the seniors.

Browny still covers near midfielder miles with his constant movement and repeat leads. He uses his body when deep, otherwise Browny is still very much a leading forward. Whilst Brown may not chase and tackle, the ground he covers makes sure he keeps his direct opponent pretty honest, because if they run off Brown, he is going to find the ball.

Acorn does not have that ability. He is a great mark and can kick a goal, but this suits him playing more deep, and i don't think there is a spot deep in our forward line for someone with his limited skill set. If he works hard, there is certainly a lot of talent to work with.

Brown actually uses more body work & smart leads these days rather then that gut busting run that you still see the likes of reiwoldt making...I just think Cornelius showed heaps last year with the few games he was given. considering our severe lack of targets up forward holding cornelius back for "defensive aspects" of his game is just strange. defnsive aspects just aren't a key part of any key forwards game.

As I mentioned in the match thread... I've never seen Cornelius singled out specifically for lack of a defensive game.

Poor endurance and a poor work ethic on the other hand...

I sometimes get the feeling Cornelius just wants to stand in the goal square and take hangers. Works pretty bloody well for him at AFLQ level... it is not going to cut it in the big league. As Lehmo said... the spot is waiting for him. It's a shame he isn't showing the hunger to take it.

As I mentioned in the match thread... I've never seen Cornelius singled out specifically for lack of a defensive game.

Poor endurance and a poor work ethic on the other hand...

I sometimes get the feeling Cornelius just wants to stand in the goal square and take hangers. Works pretty bloody well for him at AFLQ level... it is not going to cut it in the big league. As Lehmo said... the spot is waiting for him. It's a shame he isn't showing the hunger to take it.

ok, that makes more sense. So do people think he is a while off playing for the lions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok, that makes more sense. So do people think he is a while off playing for the lions?

Voss's words in the press conference were telling.

Saying that if selected, Cornelius would be a "needs" selection rather than a "performance" selection. A last resort.

I have Retzlaff ahead of him. 50 percent less talent, 200% more effort.

Voss's words in the press conference were telling.

Saying that if selected, Cornelius would be a "needs" selection rather than a "performance" selection. A last resort.

I have Retzlaff ahead of him. 50 percent less talent, 200% more effort.

:thumbsu: For anyone still suggesting Cornelius, watch the press conference. Didn't sound like Voss wants to give Cornelius a game anytime soon.

NEAFL Round 1 vs Morningside

[FONT=&quot]Caleb Brown was strong at full-back.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] He controlled Aaron Cornelius early although the big Lion booted three second half goals and did kick three on the full as well. Cornelius had his number taken by the umpire in the final quarter.[/FONT]

cornelius8.jpg

Michael Voss

Cornelius was considered by some the obvious candidate to fill in up forward when skipper Jonathan Brown went down last week, but Voss says he hasn't earned a game."If he does it will be on needs only," he said.
"He hasn't done enough to warrant it, sometimes it comes down to needs and he may be the lucky one who gets a needs-based selection."

mmm...cornelius is in his 3rd year. he would want to get his act together. It is not often a coach slams a rookie player in the media. doesn't look good.
We can only assume that Voss knows something we don't - like that Cornelius responds to a major kick up the arse. The sad fact is that if he doesn't get (and take) his chance soon, he'll be looking for a job selling shelving in Bunnings.

I sometimes get the feeling Cornelius just wants to stand in the goal square and take hangers. Works pretty bloody well for him at AFLQ level... it is not going to cut it in the big league.

Used to work OK for Braddy too... ;)

NEAFL Round 1 vs Morningside

[FONT=&quot]Lions players Aaron Cornelius and Sam Sheldon are ineligible for the Grogan Medal but are free to play in Saturday’s match against Labrador at Cooke-Murphy Oval after making early guilty pleas to Level 2 striking charges.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The early pleas gave both 62.5 carryover points if they face the match review panel or tribunal again.[/FONT]

We can only assume that Voss knows something we don't - like that Cornelius responds to a major kick up the arse. The sad fact is that if he doesn't get (and take) his chance soon, he'll be looking for a job selling shelving in Bunnings.

yeah you are proberly right...the good old fashion rocket before getting his chance. Cornelius will know to well that he can't be a passenger if selected. so it will be interesting to see how he responses

yeah you are proberly right...the good old fashion rocket before getting his chance. Cornelius will know to well that he can't be a passenger if selected. so it will be interesting to see how he responses

Being a fellow Tasmanian, I have been a firm supporter. I also think he has a fair bit to offer us- potentially. However, based on my inexpert observations on Sunday, I must say that promoting him right now might well be counterproductive, seeing he seems to me to be travelling so poorly. One more bad performance and that might mark his cards.

I don't know the bloke so this is only my humble opinion. I don't whether the a kick in the arse approach is the way to motivate him. He seems to be a player who needs a supportive arm around the shoulder rather than the boot.

On the positive side, he has great skills- a one grab mark, big, strong, a reasonable and longish kick. Negatives- a very poor turn reminiscent of an oil tanker, a non existent defensive mind set, not very quick and more importantly slow off the mark. I've said before that, like Drummond, he needs expert sprint tuition and I stand by this opinion.

come on aaron !!! mate ive taken heaps pushing your barrow now its your turn to give me some cred !!! so boy grab the opportunity and kick the living crap out of it !!!!!!

pending you get the gig this week or next show the faithfull and the coach what you can do , give em heaps lad !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back