Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link

Arguably the most significant guernsey allocation for 2009 was saved for Tasmanian key position prospect Aaron Conelius who chose the Club’s famous number 44.

Cornelius’ new number has been worn by two of the Club’s all-time greats in Nigel Lappin (279 games) and Richard Osborne (187 games).

Club Champion, All-Australian and triple premiership player Lappin took great pride in wearing the number 44 guernsey with for the past 15 seasons before announcing his retirement at the end of 2008.

Link

Lions rookie Cornelius takes Lappin's famous No.44
Andrew Hamilton
December 03, 2008 11:00pm

ANONYMITY shot to pieces ... recruit Aaron Cornelius, left, will carry the No.44 on his Lions jersey, a number held dear by Lions fans after it was worn with distinction by club favourite Nigel Lappin. Picture: Annette Dew

FOURTH round draft picks can arrive at a club safe in the knowledge they'll be anonomous for their first season - not so new Lion Aaron Cornelius.

Cornelius, taken with Brisbane's fourth selection, number 57 overall, has ensured Lions' diehards will know who he is sraight away by taking on the famous number 44, worn with distinction in three Brisbane premierships by favourite son Nigel Lappin.

It was a decision he admits was taken with a degree of nerves.

"There certainly was, I've been around the club for just a day and a bit and already I've heard a lot of people talk about him, it is a big number to take on board but hopefully I can do the club proud," he said.

"I actually picked 13 to start off with, but then I changed my mind."

Jumper number aside, Brisbane believes Cornelius isn't your typical late selection and hopes the strapping 18-year-old Tasmanian might make an impression for on-field deeds sooner than might be expected.

scaled.php

Link

Rich was joined on the track yesterday by his fellow five pick-ups from the NAB AFL Draft, including tall Tasmanian forward Aaron Cornelius, who Voss believes may turn out to be a steal at No. 57.

"I don't know what our expectation was necessarily coming into the draft, but we definitely came out of it pretty favourably," Voss said.

"Even down to Aaron Cornelius, who we rated in the top-30 but were able to get at pick 57. To be able to get him was a bonus.

"Probably our key focus when we came into the draft was how we bolster our midfield and get a little bit more size and pace."

scaled.php

This seemed a fairly good balanced review of Cornelius.

Aaron Cornelius - 2008 AFL Draftee Profile
Posted by Stewart Brown
November 15, 2008

Aaron Cornelius is a tall forward who along with Mitch Robinson is the leading Tasmanian candidate in this year’s National Draft. He was named in the Under 18 All-Australian team after his performances at the recent Under 18 Championships.

Height: 192cm
Weight: 84kg
Position: Forward
Club: Glenorchy/Tassie Devils (VFL)
Who we think he may turn out like: Ryan O’Keefe
Who we hope he doesn’t turn out like: Danny Roach
AFL Club Supported: St Kilda

Cornelius is the best young forward to come out of Tasmania since Jack Riewoldt. His major strength is his marking, whether it is on the lead or in a contested situation. He has shown the ability to play both deep at Full Forward or up the ground at Centre Half Forward. If he is to play Centre Half Forward in the AFL then he will need to work hard on his endurance.
Not only is Cornelius good in the air but he has great ability when the ball hits the ground and is very good at reading the play. His foot skills are pretty good but he can become a bit erratic when kicking for goal, especially from longer distances.
Cornelius has the advantage over many of the other draftees that he has already played a lot of senior football, both in the VFL for the Tassie Devils and in the Tasmanian local competition for Glenorchy. This will help him to convert to football at the highest level as he has the experience of playing against hardened bodies.
An area in Cornelius game that needs some work is his work is his defensive side. He is also not overly quick for his size, so this is where he will really need to work on his endurance as he unlikely to beat many of his opponents over short distances or on straight line leads.
Cornelius is an outside chance to be picked up in the first round but it is more than likely he will be a second round pick.

cornelius3bm4.jpg

Link

Dominic students drafted to the big time
Posted by: mtaylor
Dec 08, 2008 - 03:33 PM

Dominic College, Glenorchy, has a rich tradition of producing quality AFL footballers and this continued on the weekend, with Liam Jones (Vice School Captain 2007) being drafted to the Western Bulldogs at pick 32 and Aaron Cornelius (Vice School Captain 2006) being drafted to the Brisbane Lions at pick 57. With only four Tasmanians drafted this year it is remarkable that two attended the same school.

Aaron Cornelius is attending Guilford Young College and has played a lot of senior football with both Tasmania in the VFL and with Glenorchy Football Club. Aaron was destined to be picked up since halfway through last year, when he consistently matched up with AFL listed players as a 17 year old.
“I followed Paul Williams, (who played for Sydney in the AFL) as a role model because he was an ex Dominic boy and Peter and Nathan Street too. Paul Williams came down to the school once after he won the grand final, so we got to see him, which was great,” Cornelius said.
“I had a fantastic time here… I think it’s a really great school,” Cornelius commented when reflecting on his time at Dominic College.
Liam and Aaron join Simon Wiggins (Carlton) who is the other Dominic College Old Scholar currently playing in the AFL since Peter Street was recently delisted by the Western Bulldogs.
Others who have attended the College and who have played AFL/VFL football include, Paul Williams, Ian Stewart, Paul Hudson, Anthony Lovell, James Manson, and Patrick Wiggins.
The College community congratulates Liam and Aaron and wishes them well for their AFL futures.

aaroncorneliussx7.jpg

Link

Voss praises Tassie recruits
By: ADAM SMITH

Aaron Cornelius and Bart McCulloch join fellow locals Justin Sherman and Tom Collier on the Lions list, giving the club the biggest Tasmanian representation of the 16 teams.
Voss admitted while McCulloch -- a back-up ruckman to Jamie Charman and Matt Leuenberger -- had been on the radar to get drafted he did not expect Cornelius to still be available.
Brisbane's main focus was netting midfielders and the club secured boom youngster Daniel Rich at No.7, despite the Western Australian touted as a top-three pick in the lead-up.
``We thought he [Cornelius] would go top 30 for sure, so we got a couple of little bonus prizes along the way,'' Voss said.
``It was actually quite interesting. We had Bart in that round where we picked up Aaron and what eventuated was Aaron was still around.
``So we went with him, with the cost we may not get another ruckman but it just so happened Bart was still around so we jumped at the chance.
``At the time when we were going through our discussions, we weren't thinking Aaron was in our sights just because we thought he would go much earlier and our key focus was getting midfielders.''
Some recruiters likened Cornelius -- a 192cm forward with clean hands -- to Sydney's Ryan O'Keefe and he could fill a post alongside twin-towers Jonathon Brown and Daniel Bradshaw on a half-forward flank.
Voss also flagged McCulloch's prospects should either of his first choice ruckmen get injured.
``By default he may end up getting his opportunity quite early. We hope our ruckmen are going to come through the season unscathed but they get knocked around a fair bit,'' Voss said.

cornelius3hy7.jpg

A couple of interesting posts:

This time 6 months ago I would have said Corny would be a top 10 pick.

But after his Draft Camp (which I hear had Brisbane pretty dissapointed..), and a reasonably poor carnival, I would say he will go mid second round.

Has amazing hands, is tallish, but quite skinny.

As for the Brad Fisher comparison, I have no idea.

Anyone see the Mercury newspaper article on Aaron Cornelius today - the article starts off "The magical Aaron Cornelius was yesterday rated the best young forward in Australian football and the stand-out forward line tall heading into November's AFL draft"

The Tassie coach Andrew Mellor gives him a huge wrap "I reckon he's a top forward" "He's got qualities that I haven't seen in players from the other states" "He can do things the others can't" Mellor said
"He's one of the best forward talls I've seen in junior footy for many years - I'd say since Tom Hawkins (Geelong), but Aaron's got more class"
Great article and photo of Aaron, he struggled for a couple of games mid championships but had two great last games Saturday and yesterday, put him right back up into the top 10

Huge wrap for him, he has a great set of hands and very clean, saw him do an article on ABC great kid and speaks really well - he's in my top 5

From last year:

Coaching dads focus on priorities
]By: JAMES BRESNEHAN
14/9/07

Not Glenorchy pair Michael Bowden and David Cornelius.
It will be strictly business for the Magpies' assistant coaches as they orchestrate what they hope will be a winning strategy against Clarence in the Southern Premier League grand final at North Hobart tomorrow.
Their teenage sons Jaye Bowden, 18, and Aaron Cornelius, 17, are key players for the Pies. So good are the pair that they are both expected to be drafted by AFL clubs -- Jaye this year and Aaron in 2008.
As assistant coaches, Michael and David conduct moves and strategies as games unfold.
That leaves Glenorchy's playing coach David Newett to focus on his onfield contribution.
But the pair won't be tempted to lose concentration admiring their skilful sons in the grand final.
``It's a hard one having your kid in the team,'' Cornelius said yesterday.
``Sometimes we have got to step out of selection when our boys are involved, but it's all business right to the very end of the match.''
Cornelius played 140 games for New Norfolk, but Aaron is a Glenorchy prodigy having grown up a few streets from KGV.
He played in the Pies under 17 premiership two years ago, its reserves premiership last season and is hoping to complete the hat-trick this year.
Aaron also represented Tasmania in the Mariners this season, won an all-Australian guernsey at the national championships and debuted with the Devils in the VFL.
His height, athleticism and strong marking have AFL talent scouts circling even though he is not eligible to be drafted until next year.

cornelius3mh2.jpg

May 14, 2008

Co-captains Aaron Cornelius and Tom Salter speak of their pride in "a traditional football" state, where many believe they have more right to an AFL team than the proposed West Sydney franchise.

"It's embedded in us," says Cornelius, a key forward of class who will surely make his AFL mark. "Before every game, we get in the room together, take off our jumpers and look each other in the eye, then we put the map on and go out and play for Tasmania. It's a really big thing."

cornelius1nl5.jpg

Tom Salter and Aaron Cornelius

July 09, 2008

Aaron Cornelius from Glenorchy - also near Hobart - made the most of his highly limited opportunties, and showed that he could develop into a handy forward or, given his strong marking skills, possibly even a Ryan Griffin-like running flanker.

cornelius5fk1.jpg

This from earlier in the year:

Choosing the Devil: Cornelius flagged as top-10 draft pick
May 2008

Casey Scorpions coach Greg Hutchison left Bellerive Oval last month disappointed his side had lost but convinced he had seen a potential top-10 draft prospect.
After watching teenager Aaron Cornelius kick four goals to catapult Tasmania to a 19-point win over his side, Hutchison had no doubt the Devils key forward would be on an AFL list next season.
"He's a top-10 draft pick for sure,"Hutchison said.
"He was simply outstanding against us. He's got great hands, is very good overhead, attacks the ball. There's a lot to like about him."
Hutchison is not alone is his assessment.
Cornelius, 17, created such an impression at last year's NAB AFL Under-18 Champtionships that he was named fullforward in the All-Australian team and gained an AIS-AFL Academy scholarship.
During its tour to South Africa, the Academy squad played against a gybrid team from Perth. Cornelius played on Fremantle's Michael Johnson most observers agreed he did extremely well.
Tasmania coach Daryn Cresswell is more tempered in his assessment, but acknowledges Cornelius oozes talent.
"He may have the best pair of hands I've seen," Cresswell said.
But Cresswell was quick to point out Cornelius has several deficiences that he needs to work on. He said Cornelius had been inconsistent this season, but that was expected given it was his first full season against matureaged players. Creswell said he gave Cornelius an introduction to VFL last last year to help him gain a feel of the competition.
In one of those matches, Cornelius played on Mitch Thorpe, a Tasmanian who was Hawthorn's first selection at the 2006 NAB AFL National Draft. Cornelius held him to one goal.
"He was one of the players I had in my plans for 2008 right from the end of last season," Creswell said.
Cornelius missed the round six match against North Mallat because he was representing Tasmania in the qualifying rounds for the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. His availability in the coming weeks will depend on the seccuss of the Tassie Mariners, who Cornelius co-captains.
While he ay be a name of most recruiters' lips, Cornelius is not getting too far ahead of himself.
The Year 12 student was "really enjoying" playing in the VFL and said it was "a bit of a thrill" to play on "blokes that you see the next week on TV playing in the AFL".
"It's all pretty exciting," Cornelius said.
And, for that matter, so is Aaron Cornelius.

cornelius4as1.jpg

Voss

“Aaron will play. Depending on where guys end up, he could play a bit of time back, could play some time forward.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Cornelius, he gets double and triple teamed playing for Tassie, and then he gets double and triple teamed in his first hitout at senior level.

I liked the look of him though, as he showed the odd touch of class. Needs to work on his endurance but he's more ready for senior footy than I had anticipated.

I liked the look of him though, as he showed the odd touch of class. Needs to work on his endurance but he's more ready for senior footy than I had anticipated.
I also thought his positioning and aerial work was good.

My initial impression was that he may be far too light to play this year, but on reflection he is a chance to play that small forward role at some point- can see him bobbing up with some goals in a winning side.

I also thought his positioning and aerial work was good.

My initial impression was that he may be far too light to play this year, but on reflection he is a chance to play that small forward role at some point- can see him bobbing up with some goals in a winning side.

More like light forward role - by comparison:

Fevola - 191 cm....100kg

Pavlich - 191.cm....100kg

LLoyd - 192 cm....93kg

Cornelius - 192 cm...86 kg

I am becoming very pleased with his selection in the draft - a couple of years to bulk up and maybe grow a little - we all know talls need some time - showed us some good signs last night.

His tap down to Harding was really smart football.

I just watched the replay of that play on Fox now and I remember saying to myself 'Cornelius should get credit for that one'. He should at the very least get an assist. Harding did kick it very well through the goals, though;)

I thought he did ok last night. Got a lucky free kick to begin with but threw himself into a few contests, which is a good sign. Definitely won't see him in the regular season, though.

will only take an injury to brown or braddy for him to get a gig, you put some big forwards to take the pressure of him and hell do ok, dont worry about that

will only take an injury to brown or braddy for him to get a gig, you put some big forwards to take the pressure of him and hell do ok, dont worry about that

I'd think Scott Clouston would be ahead of Cornelius if that were to happen - touch wood it doesn't, though:eek:

More like light forward role

I know he is quite tall, but my reference to "small forward" was in the context of him not being a bruiser like Brown, Bradshaw and the others you mentioned. I certainly don't see him as a crumber, but I think we all saw a lot to like at this very early stage.

I know he is quite tall, but my reference to "small forward" was in the context of him not being a bruiser like Brown, Bradshaw and the others you mentioned. I certainly don't see him as a crumber, but I think we all saw a lot to like at this very early stage.

Agree entirely with you Judge - was just making the point that he has the stature to at least be the equal of Lloyd in size eventually and maybe develop into a quality KPP in time - but of course the recruiters knew that when he was drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back