Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess he's still had to compete with quite a few players for the sort of role that he'd offer. It's always going to be hard to nail a key forward role ahead of Brown and Bradshaw, and we've probably just been able to scrape through with the players we've selected in defense. It's probably been a case of six of one, half-a-dozen of the other, with regards to was selected out of Cornelius, Notting, Roe and Henderson. I think the selectors got it right though, which isn't to say that Cornelius wouldn't have performed alright had he been selected instead.

Considering he's a first year player, Cornelius has been lucky to get a run in a team with an established line-up of key position players (which isn't to say that it wasn't deserved, but probably more a case of him benefitting from players being out injured).

It was good to see him nail a couple of goals in the game against St.Kilda. He looked very enthusiastic and proved capable of turning that into good football. He looks a good future prospect and I'm looking forward to seeing him crack the seniors a bit more over the next few years. It seems that his form and attitude in the reserves has been promising.

If everything goes to plan, I imagine that 2011 might be the year that he'd be getting regular senior games. :thumbsu:

Cant fathom why Vossy dropped him.

A few reasons:

1) The Lions have a lot of key position depth

2) The players he replaced in the side have returned from injury

3) He is fairly skinny and he needs to grow a body

4) Voss has stated he doesn't want to blood too many new players at the one time.

he played pretty well against st kilda in parts i thought

i missed the last quarter between the saints and the lions, but the first three quarters played in that match was masterful coaching and the perfect way to beat the saints

I was at the reserves game at the weekend and the player that I thought Cornelius really reminded me of is Russell Robertson (although I have no idea what their height difference is). He has a good leap and just a natural forward. I think in years to come, Cornelius will be best suited being the third tall type of player and not the focal point, which with a player of his skill will be especially dangerous.

Brisbane Lions website lists Cornelius as having not played a senior game in 2009. They appear to have forgotten about the St.Kilda game. I thought it was quite memorable actually, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing Aaron as a regular in the seniors next year.

Go Lions!

Brisbane Lions website lists Cornelius as having not played a senior game in 2009. They appear to have forgotten about the St.Kilda game. I thought it was quite memorable actually, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing Aaron as a regular in the seniors next year.

Go Lions!

I would be shocked if Acorn was a regular next year, in fact would be surprised if he plays more than half a dozen games.

Saying that, I was very impressed with his debut game against the Saints, especially when he went forward.

No need to rush the kid, letting him develop and mature at the lower level will pay dividends for the club.

He takes a great contested grab and has good postioning, which are somethings that I dont think can be taught.

Needs to improve strength, endurance and kicking - all of which are workable over time.

Unlike what a certain richmond fan thinks, developing KPP players is a process that takes time (unless of course you are a freak like JB).

Go Lions!

The website's player and coaching staff profiles aren't updated that regularly so no surprise to not see it up yet.

He intrigues me as a player because he is said to be a key position prospect but his size counteracts that. Want to see more games from him before I determine anything.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/88558/default.aspx

IT'S NOT going to be easy to break into the Brisbane Lions forward line this year if you're a young key forward.

The club has already got the best power forward in the game in skipper Jonathan Brown, and despite losing fellow spearhead Daniel Bradshaw, the recruitment of controversial Carlton goal-kicking machine Brendan Fevola should more than fill that gap.

But second-year Lion Aaron Cornelius knows that it's about putting his head down and working away, which he's doing, although he's surprised with some of the results he's getting.

Interesting to hear that he's grown to 194cm and is now 90kgs.

Yeah, a lot of people (including myself) had him pencilled in as a third tall.

If he continues to grow like this, and gain weight, he may be able to play a genuine focal role up forward eventually.

With Henderson gone, Cornelius is a very, very important part of our future.

Heard a lot about him through some blokes at my club who used to play for Glenorchy. Saw him in action in the 2008 SFL Grand Final where he won his 2nd premiership medal with Glenorchy.

He wasn't on fire that day but the wraps on him from people that were big.

Hopefully he can fulfill some of that potential.

Yeah, a lot of people (including myself) had him pencilled in as a third tall.

If he continues to grow like this, and gain weight, he may be able to play a genuine focal role up forward eventually.

With Henderson gone, Cornelius is a very, very important part of our future.

This has been very much on my mind lately - I'll say it again... did NOT like seeing Herderson go.

It is not hard to see Cornelius getting Seniors experience this year considering Bradshaw was obviously going to be a regular in the team (not sure where) before his departure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Cornelius is that above and beyond the physical aspects he is a goal kicker. He knows where the goals are and innately knows where to move to. Still great to hear that he is up to 194. He is now a good couple of inches taller than Fev

It would seem that he essentially takes over Henderson's role, playing as a first reserve tall, filling in forward or back depending on injuries. If he comes in and out of the side playing 10 or so games, I think he will have progressed well.

It would seem that he essentially takes over Henderson's role, playing as a first reserve tall, filling in forward or back depending on injuries.

Spot on. It is pretty much the perfect situation to be in for a KPP player at his stage of development.

Senior experience up front and down back, and plenty of time in the reserves to address the finer points of his game and build confidence.

Exciting to hear he's still growing and packing on the weight. Was a bit worried he might be one of those muscle-resistant types.

Clark / Cornelius = our future forward line?

IMO with the departure of Hendo, if Aaron doesn't come good then we're really gonna struggle from around 2013 with a dearth of mature tall forwards.

The thing about Cornelius is that above and beyond the physical aspects he is a goal kicker. He knows where the goals are and innately knows where to move to. Still great to hear that he is up to 194. He is now a good couple of inches taller than Fev
And 3cm taller than Bradshaw, a player who I believe you compared Cornelius to.

Exciting to hear he's still growing and packing on the weight. Was a bit worried he might be one of those muscle-resistant types.

Clark / Cornelius = our future forward line?

IMO with the departure of Hendo, if Aaron doesn't come good then we're really gonna struggle from around 2013 with a dearth of mature tall forwards.

Don't forget Clark, Bart, Retzlaff, McKeever, McCauley. There is KPP potential there. Oh... and that Staker bloke. :/

I do think we need to look at taking the best key forward available with our first pick this year though. Going to be hard though with the Gold Coast and WS18 raping and pillaging the next 4 drafts.

This has been very much on my mind lately - I'll say it again... did NOT like seeing Herderson go.

I think I can say that none of us did. That said, having A-Corn makes me rest a lot easier. 194 & still growing. Like many I had him pencilled in as a 3rd tall option, but may have to reassess that.

Whilst not trying to put Hendo down, the small amount I saw of A-Corn he seemed to have more of a natural forward's instincts. All of this is based on perception but, IMO, he will be an important part of our team in the future.

Thats the first thing I thought about him Quigley. Hard to say how athletic or tall or strong he can be, but going from the game he played, you could see he was a natural goal kicker. Time will tell and all that whether he can develop the physical and athletic attributes to complement that ability.

2010 Player Questionnaire

cornelius.jpg

Love this quote:
Lions hot for round one: Sherman
ACorn said:
"The quicker ball movement could have an added benefit, with rookie forward Aaron Cornelius predicting it will mean the return of the speccie.

"Playing forward, you miss the guys that are able to take the speccies like Modra and Ablett, but hopefully we'll see a bit of that this year as the ball is coming in a lot quicker," he said.

"Hopefully if I get in there I will try to, but for the time being I reckon I'll be taking them in the reserves."

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back