Recommitted Aaron Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand Francis is happy being at Essendon now and is currently in talks for a new contract but if Shiel is the missing piece of the Essendon midfield puzzle, I feel you guys will be willing to sacrifice a promising player in a position where you have depth to get him in a year earlier since you guys are not far off being a very solid team. If not for bad luck, you guys would already be in the final 8 this year. Of course, if you feel Shiel is not the player you are after then fair enough as well.

In terms of defence you have good KPD stock in Hooker, Hartley and Ambrose with Hurley being a flexible intercept marker as well. Other intercept marking options include Gleeson when he comes back, Francis, Dea and Ridley in development. Your small/medium defenders I rate among the best with Saad, McKenna and McGrath who can go in defence and on the wing.

With such an abundance of choices in defence, I thought letting Francis go might be a worthwhile sacrifice to build your midfield. The picks would satisfy GWS and port get a promising intercept marker (which I think they dont really have) at the expense of sliding down 13 picks.
Not gonna happen when we've invested so much in him and he's finally happy here and starting to show how good he can be.

The thing that amazes me about this is GWS being willing to give up Shiel. Essendon would have been OK with or without Francis but I don't see why GWS would give up Shiel whilst he's still contracted regardless of the offer. Your team could win a premiership next year with him there.
The assumption is that we are willing to give up Shiel. I dont think any GWS supporter wants Shiel to go, but at least for me it is always better to prepare for the worst as our list management staff would probably be doing as well. I have an interest in list management and trading, hence the hypothesis. However, would much prefer we can keep Shiel 2019 and onwards.

I understand Francis is happy being at Essendon now and is currently in talks for a new contract but if Shiel is the missing piece of the Essendon midfield puzzle, I feel you guys will be willing to sacrifice a promising player in a position where you have depth to get him in a year earlier since you guys are not far off being a very solid team. If not for bad luck, you guys would already be in the final 8 this year. Of course, if you feel Shiel is not the player you are after then fair enough as well.

In terms of defence you have good KPD stock in Hooker, Hartley and Ambrose with Hurley being a flexible intercept marker as well. Other intercept marking options include Gleeson when he comes back, Francis, Dea and Ridley in development. Your small/medium defenders I rate among the best with Saad, McKenna and McGrath who can go in defence and on the wing.

With such an abundance of choices in defence, I thought letting Francis go might be a worthwhile sacrifice to build your midfield. The picks would satisfy GWS and port get a promising intercept marker (which I think they dont really have) at the expense of sliding down 13 picks.
Hooker, Hurley, Francis, Gleeson, Ridley/Dea, McKenna and Saad are our best 22 going forward. McGrath is a winger atm, rotates with McKenna and Saad on a week to week basis.

We have enough picks to pay Paul without robbing Peter, so the scenario you're suggesting does not appear to serve any particular purpose.

Hooker, Hurley, Francis, Gleeson, Ridley/Dea, McKenna and Saad are our best 22 going forward. McGrath is a winger atm, rotates with McKenna and Saad on a week to week basis.

We have enough picks to pay Paul without robbing Peter, so the scenario you're suggesting does not appear to serve any particular purpose.
My opinion is we would ask for 2 early-mid first round picks in 2018 if Shiel were to leave this year with a second potentially coming back from us. Of course I dont expect Essendon to want to pay that price so I was trying to work around that by suggesting Francis since he has previously been on the fringe. He has begun to show more promise this year and if you view him as a required cog to the team going forward, im sure other options will be considered IF Shiel wants out.

My opinion is we would ask for 2 early-mid first round picks in 2018 if Shiel were to leave this year with a second potentially coming back from us. Of course I dont expect Essendon to want to pay that price so I was trying to work around that by suggesting Francis since he has previously been on the fringe. He has begun to show more promise this year and if you view him as a required cog to the team going forward, im sure other options will be considered IF Shiel wants out.
We have this year's and next year's first rounders and this year's second rounder (which is tied to your ladder finish) to play with already. If you wanted next year's second we could probably work something out if we can get another second back instead (since there's a rule that you have to have either your future first round or a future pick in all the other rounds). Last I heard he's not entertaining any offers this year anyway :shrug:

But that's a story for another thread.

We have this year's and next year's first rounders and this year's second rounder (which is tied to your ladder finish) to play with already. If you wanted next year's second we could probably work something out if we can get another second back instead (since there's a rule that you have to have either your future first round or a future pick in all the other rounds). Last I heard he's not entertaining any offers this year anyway :shrug:

But that's a story for another thread.
I wouldnt be too keen on 2019 picks from Essendon since I predict you guys to rise up near the pointy end of the ladder. Shiel apparently not entertaining offers either so hoping GWS doesnt force him out.

I can't see us pushing him out the door, even for Shiel
We were hot on him in his draft year, and he's looking happy. Even if a straight trade was on the table, i can't see us upsetting the apple cart.

If 8 & 10 for Shiel and 23 is what the Giants would be after, i'd give up our 2018 and 2019 1sts.
Assuming you'd look to cash in Shiel now vs risking him going as an FA next year.

If we get Shiel it will be for picks and maybe a fringe player who won't hurt the GWS salary cap. The cost will be somewhere between Treloar's cost (who was 3 years younger with better stats) and the 2019 FA compo GWS will get. Exactly where in that spectrum would be down to haggling.

I can't see us pushing him out the door, even for Shiel
We were hot on him in his draft year, and he's looking happy. Even if a straight trade was on the table, i can't see us upsetting the apple cart.

If 8 & 10 for Shiel and 23 is what the Giants would be after, i'd give up our 2018 and 2019 1sts.
Assuming you'd look to cash in Shiel now vs risking him going as an FA next year.
did I read 8 & 10 for shiel and a 2nd coming back??...Crows..get on the phone and make it happen as he would complete our midfield and with a full strength team next year..we would be looking very good imo

did I read 8 & 10 for shiel and a 2nd coming back??...Crows..get on the phone and make it happen as he would complete our midfield and with a full strength team next year..we would be looking very good imo

Except he doesn't want to go to Adelaide therefore the deal would never happen.

There's no way in hell essendon will trade Francis to gws for shiel, he would refuse to go. He's just settled in at the Don's, a team he supported his whole life and still has had trouble doing that...

At best, you'll receive pick 8 and a fringe player like mckernan... shiel is a little overrated and gws dont hold the upper hand in the scenario as much as they think they do... there salary cap is squeezing, they can try to keep shiel but what would they lose if they keep him on his big contract... 3 players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on topic, as a failed early draft pick you probably need to look at Jimmy Toumpas to determine Francis' value.

He went for two forth rounders and a 3 pick second round downgrade.

Looks about right.

giphy.gif

Honestly, as of right now, I wouldn't trade Francis for Curnow. Not saying Curnow isn't better at this point in time, though

Well done, Eth...

Egg could well and truly be on your face in a couple of years

Or one.

Jade please.

We've both been around a long time now - there's no point trying to deny you're as biased and irrational as it gets around here.

Stop trying to kid yourself, because you're not fooling anyone else. The sole reason why you'd take Francis over Curnow at this stage is because you're an Essendon fan.

Now whilst I'm happy to admit being a biased fella on occasion, the reason/s (plural) that I would have taken Francis were well founded.

He was, and is, extremely talented, an absurd mark of the ball, a beautiful kick, reads the play as well as anyone in the game - and all this was visible before he appeared at AFL level.

What he lacked was fitness and application.

Poor attitude is probably the hardest thing to fix. Not everyone is cut out to be an AFL footballer.

This kid is.

Not sure about you but posting doesn't take much effort.

Happy for anyone to hold any opinion they wish, but let's call a spade a spade. There's only one reason why Francis is held in such high esteem by Jade, and it'd clearly be a very different case if he wore a different team's colours.

Now here's the thing, I would probably have known less about him, if he was in another teams colours.

But here we are.

Should he not be congratulated for his terrific form over the past few weeks?

I know you were!

But shhhhh, I'm not done yet.... ;)

mate I love that you believe that but at this stage there is no evidence to suggest that it's going to be the case, look I could be wrong.
But to say you would not trade Francis for c curnow at this stage of their careers you are either a troll or naive

Or right.

You must be drunk then..

Constantly, but I keep drunk stumbling in to facts.

May have elite ability but that's a ******* stretch

Have a look at the other bloke

Yeah ok.

Has shown zero, worth very little.

**** it, I think we'll keep him.

Carlisle for Francis..?

He may win your B&F, and you'd still scramble to do this deal...

Watts is an immediate upgrade on Francis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some really funny posts in this thread.

Francis has shown the last 3 weeks why Essendon supporters rate him so highly. It's understandable that opposition supporters with terrible football knowledge couldn't quite see the talent he possessed, but I think people are now slowly starting to realise how good he will be after watching him at AFL level.

Has finished the year very well. Good on him.

Let's hope he gets a chance over the next few years to show what he's got during September.
Very classy post mate.

Fwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back