ABC's Clint Weeldon in Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter maxwell

Debutant
Dec 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You got to feel sorry for Clint Weeldon in the ABC sports office in Perth.

For many years he lived in the shadows of Glen Mitchell, a bloke George Grjlusic called 'The Oracle' because of his encyclopedic knowledge of sport.

But when Mitchell resigned after a mental breakdown last year he was replaced by a bloke called
Corbin Middlemass.

The guy is only 21 or soemthing like that.

He is already putting Weeldon in the shade as a caller and ABC management has got this young bloke hosting their main 2-hour sports talkback show on Saturday mornings.

Probably says soemthing about how the ABC view this kid's ability compared to his boss but I find it a bit hard to be lectured to or have my sporting outlook shaped by a 21yo.

Not as good as when Mitchell was there even though he could be a bit cranky.

But I reckon this Corbin kid is bound for higher stuff.

Keep an eye and hear on him.

Think he could be the ABC's next Gerard Whateley!

I admit Middlemass can call but I find it very odd that ABC management has him hosting their major two-hour radio sport talkback show each Saturday.

For those in the 'east', Sportstalk has been an institution down through the years, hosted at various times by George Grljusic, Dennis Cometti, Glen Mitchell & Wally Foreman - men who all had decades of knowledge.

Whilst I admit Clint Weeldon doesn't hold a candle to any of those surely he would be a better option than Middlemass.

He wasn't even born when the Eagles entered the AFL and would have NO memory at all of their 1992 & '94 flags.

He would have been about 4 when the Dockers were born.

And he would only know the likes of Dennis Lillee, Greg Chappel, Tony Lockettl and Jim Stynes through reading about them.

The ABC might not rate Weeldon and reckon this kid is better but please, give us a host who has a bit of history and experience about him.

Just leave him to work on his commentary.

I admit Middlemass can call but I find it very odd that ABC management has him hosting their major two-hour radio sport talkback show each Saturday.

For those in the 'east', Sportstalk has been an institution down through the years, hosted at various times by George Grljusic, Dennis Cometti, Glen Mitchell & Wally Foreman - men who all had decades of knowledge.

Whilst I admit Clint Weeldon doesn't hold a candle to any of those surely he would be a better option than Middlemass.

He wasn't even born when the Eagles entered the AFL and would have NO memory at all of their 1992 & '94 flags.

He would have been about 4 when the Dockers were born.

And he would only know the likes of Dennis Lillee, Greg Chappel, Tony Lockettl and Jim Stynes through reading about them.

The ABC might not rate Weeldon and reckon this kid is better but please, give us a host who has a bit of history and experience about him.

Just leave him to work on his commentary.

Who's Middlemass related to at ABC??

Who's Middlemass related to at ABC??

No one, as far as I know.

When Mitchell resigned, they needed a second caller. Middlemass had been doing some great work on SportFM 91.3 over here and got the call. ABC Perth has a history of giving young callers a gig. They did it to Glen Mitchell, Drew Morphett (way back in the day), Clinton Grybas and Dan Lonergan.

Remove this Banner Ad

ABC's Clint Weeldon in Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back