Ablett senior versus Ablett junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ablett v Ablett-Who is the greatest?

Young Gaz coming up to his 200th game.. I remember his dad kicking 7 goals at Waverley Park against Carlton for his 200th game.. Ablett Snr was a freak in every way and that's what I loved about the guy..There will ever be only one Gary Ablett..

Bloody oath. There is Gary Ablett and then there is Jnr.

Re: Ablett v Ablett-Who is the greatest?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen, Me, if you don't to answer the question, then YOU go to another board. I only want people who are going to answer the question to post here.i don't care what you want

I know that you hate both of their guts, and have always been jealous of Jnr, (his money, his fame, his talent, none of which you havehow do you know this, you don't, so personal attacks show your insecurities). But don't you dare tell me which board I should be on.

The question pertains to two players who played for Geelong. One is retired, one has left (unfortunatelynot according to him). But I don't see how asking this question is disrespectful to other Geelong players.

Mooney has no relevance to the question, so I don't understand why you would mention him here. I haven't shown any disrespect to loyal Geelong players, but what do they have to do with the immediate question?you mentioned in them in a previous post in this thread which i have enclosed below. Maybe you need to read what you post

If you like, for you, I will ask, who is greater- Jimmy Bartel v Joel Selwood?
But that's not what the topic of conversation was yesterday. I was only trying to be relevant you are not. I am very pleased about the players who have stayed at the club, and am pleased to see that Jimmy is set to ignore GWS's advances and re-sign with Geelong. But I don't back away from the fact that I wish Ablett had stayed as well. That's my opinion.and bartel has let money go, something that judas couldn't do

BTW, Gary Snr was never disloyal to us not true, he signed a contract to leave. If you say how he wasn't part of Geelong for a couple of years after he retired, that is because he wasn't coming back while that sack of shit Gary Ayres was still coaching the club. If you blame Ablett snr for that, then you have to blame Bairstow, Couch and Brownless as well, who all also met the axe at the hands of meglomaniac Ayres, and were estranged from the club. Also, if you think Ayres was not at fault, then ask Adelaide their opinion of him, specificially Shaun Rehn and Andrew MacLeod.

Since you admire loyalty, I will put you down as that you favour Ablett Snr, then!

Malcolm Blight stated that he believed that Gary Ablett jnr was a better player than Gary Ablett snr.

"The H-S then asked who do you think is better-Gary Ablett snr or Gary Ablett jnr?"

I think the Geelong team in the 80-90's would have suffered more from Gary snr absence than the current Geelong team seem to without Gary jnr.

However, Gary snr would be handy for us today, as he can play up forward, where we are deficient, and then we could move the useless twins of Mooney and Hawkins out of the forward line.

I am interested in who other Geelong supporters think is better of the two.
hendo are you ever wrong

really interesting debate and I really enjoy seeing articles on the comparisons, it's healthy for the Geelong footy club to keep getting it's healthy share of advertising from both snr and jnr. Two awesome players and both are naturally strong athletes, not sure what jnr would bench but his upper body strength along with the centre core through that backside and legs is a reason why he's so dominant alike his father. It's almost impossible to compare players considering the differences of play in today's era but there is no question that jnr has performed consistently well in the biggest/most important games in football. His father was also able to will himself into contests when the team was needing something special. I reckon this debate will continue for many, many years ahead but one of the main reasons why snr is not judged to be the better player between Carey and himself is because of the premierships. Winning the holy grail is what set's apart some from the rest although you can argue snr almost got one in 1989. I have his performances in finals footy and his 1992, 1994 finals series is a true testiment to his big match greatness, although in 1994 he did play directly at full-forward. It's a shame the Geelong football club consistently shit the bed in grand finals throughout the 90's. No backline and limited supply from the midfield apart from Couch was always our downside. I personally believe Ablett best season of footy was in 1992 where he played just like Dale Thomas has been today, all over the ground. He should have won a browlow medal that year but ended up getting suspended. Geelong weren't quite a top side during the 1980's and it was in the 80's that snr was truly at his best and alot of his greatest performances have never been captured on film. Athletically snr had the hangtime and vertical leap that had him on top of packs every week along with the speed to burn off opponents when on the ground but jnr has 2 premiership medals which will always be rated the highest priority when comparing players. I reckon snr will always remain the greatest because if he played in the game today he'd still be the best player in the game

I was at that game. Round 22, 1986 at the MCG versus Richmond.

I think he kicked 6 that day. Or 8. One of the two. :)

i think that's the amazing thing about ablett snr. those amazing individual performances that make so many cats fans jump up proudly and say 'i was there that day'. the geelong v essendon game at the MCG where he kicked 14 and salmon kicked 10 will be the one that always sticks out for me.

I would like to say that Gary Snr gave all Geelong fans( that were witness to) something that they will never forget.
The grace and style that he was able to bring to the football world, amidst the hard, tough and sometimes brutal tackling and scraggling, left us all breathless.
He gave no quarter and received the none from some of his opponents, but, they all admired him for the power and versatility of his talent.
Gary Lyon will never say that Snr was any good 'cause he won't get over the fact that he copped one from Gary and the fact that he would never be the player that he was.
I have met Gary Snr on a few occasions during his career and was always taken aback with his contrite and unassuming manner when asked about his "God" given talent.
He took time out of his day when he met me at Kardinia Park so that I could have some photos of him with my truck in front of the Hickey stand. He even autographed it on the bonnet. He asked that the photos would never be sold to anyone and that, has been the case. They are a treasured position that link me with one of the greatest players ever.
I was mortified when he "retired" the first time and it was looking like it was going to stick. It was one of the best days when he returned to continue on where he left off.
It took a person, who was a stain on the history of the Geelong Football Club, to finish off the legend that was Gary Ablett. This by his jealous and and belittling attitude of the fact that Gazza could have a quiet time during training and then turn it on like a tap on game day.
The day that Ayres was sent packing was the day Geelong went forward.
I honestly think that I will never see anyone better than Gary Snr was, but, junior has a mighty good chance of making a dent in that theory.
All in all, we must just sit back and remember that we have seen excellence, not just once, but twice in a Geelong jumper.

Go the mighty Cats........

The final couple of years of GAJ's career will be pretty telling. I think because Sr was so good after 30, the prevailing memory we all have of him is that he was just a freak for SOOO long. And he was.
But starting from 2007, Jr made 8 straight AA teams, and all things being equal probably would have made 9 if he didn't get hurt last year. That's phenomenal, and a true demonstration of longevity. And even now, when he's copping it for being below his best, and not leading properly etc, he's getting down and dirty more than ever - only had 26 and 24 touches in the last two weeks, but he's had 12 and 13 tackles, 8 and 11 clearances, and 27 of those 50 touches have been contested.

No-one that watched Sr's career would ever claim that there has been a player as gifted in general on a football field. But achievement wise and in terms of making the most of what talent he's got and getting the best out of himself, I think Jr has pretty much equalled him.

Still taking Senior.
We see in today's game just how much skill is required to kick the goals and he did it in his sleep. Some of his best performances of all time were from very few possession games. 10, 15, 17 touches but there were ultimately 8 or 10 marks. Check out some of his State Of Origin matches on YouTube.

Had contested marks been documented in his day, he would have equaled Hawkins in that department and this was a guy who stood 6ft tall.
He kicked 2 goals in 2 minutes, 3 goals in a quarter and that was consistent for Senior.
Lance Franklin does this often as well but he couldn't do it in the air.

Junior is now ahead of Greg Williams in my opinion. I only saw the second half of Diesel's career and he was everything Junior was except the blistering speed.
If only Tom Hafey had not gone to Sydney and taken Williams with him, I think Geelong would have won a premiership with him in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett senior versus Ablett junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Back