News ACT government to look into four GWS Giants games at Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Its irrelevant IMO.

Its all about the TV market and the business model.

Fact is little doubt GWS probably makes more money over time than in Canberra than Western Sydney. They probably get a kick back as well.

It might change if GWS hit top 4 and beyond and the Sydney crowd get on board in terms of ground audience.

I actually thing 4 games in Canberra is a smart move in a unnecessarily saturated Sydney market atm.

The argument is you would pick up a bigger slice of the Canberra, Southern NSW market prior to becoming successful enough to draw on bigger attendances in Sydney

It all comes back to the 20 year argument or generational change, will GWS in the coming years have enough influence and put enough work in to generate enough support in the ACT and Southern NSW, i personally think the academies get the kids in, which in turn gets the parents, Southern NSW and the ACT in general are reasonably strong areas for the game, but in general the people who have traditionally followed it already have teams, unlike WS.

WS is almost a blank canvas, so even though as i have pointed out the Canberra connection has seen an obvious improvement in the game there, has it been to the detriment of the brand and game out in West ?...... possibly ..... the detractors of GWS and there are plenty, will seize on anything.

I think GWS playing home games in Canberra is a bit of a conundrum, on some levels it makes sense on some it seems stupid.

I think they could attract over 4000 regularly at Narrandera. Canberra is more Union IMO so it is the type of market that could grow for Aussie Rules. Have a lot of transitional people from Victoria, WA and wherever else via public service. It would be interesting the flight schedules to because Manuka is not to far away from Canberra airport.

Taxis are expensive as hell but if AFL/Act govt could charter busses could be an attractive model for visiting Melbourne diehard supporters.

Eg. might get few thousand VICS via flights to Manuka on a AFL sponsored deal, see the capital as well. It would be interesting because it would be easier to attract visitor crowds to Canberra on special flights than Western Sydney I would have thought
Not as stupid as it sounds as the Airport has the capacity and convenience set up and is hospitality driven due to the political support activity.

you could even do it as a one-off type of event as a trial and error.

I nearly went to the GWS Melbourne match but it clashed with the Richmond Bulldogs match on Fox.

In hindsight perhaps you should have gone ;), what i would be interested in, is how many Melbourne fans flew up and how many GWS fans drove/flew down and what was the Canberra turn up.

From living in Canberra for quite a few years i met maybe a couple of Melbourne fans and one of them was a bloke i went to school with and he was definetly the odd man out, i knew more Fitzroy fans in Canberra.

Ambitious target, but I understand what he is saying that if the grand stand seating was to start becoming more popular, you would need to buy a membership to be guaranteed a seat.

Very ambitious, but we are only talking about 3 or 4 game memberships, they would really have to rely on the fixturing throwing up a few big Melbourne teams and keeping a ANZAC day fixture, the ANZAC day game would work for me, a few beers at Eastlake footy club, some footy, back to the club for a few more schooners and a couple of wins at 2 up to pay for it all ;).

In hindsight perhaps you should have gone ;), what i would be interested in, is how many Melbourne fans flew up and how many GWS fans drove/flew down and what was the Canberra turn up.

From living in Canberra for quite a few years i met maybe a couple of Melbourne fans and one of them was a bloke i went to school with and he was definetly the odd man out, i knew more Fitzroy fans in Canberra.

Went to a Bulldogs GWS match at Manuka and was surprised by the turnout at the Manuka oval by the Bulldogs supporters.

The point is the airport is not that far away from the ground, Buses could be organised and you could package for maybe a couple of thousand Vic supporters to come up,airlines get in on a cheaper deal, see a few sites in Canberra as well for a few days with the Capital attractions. Not as silly as it sounds as a kick starter

It all comes back to the 20 year argument or generational change, will GWS in the coming years have enough influence and put enough work in to generate enough support in the ACT and Southern NSW, i personally think the academies get the kids in, which in turn gets the parents, Southern NSW and the ACT in general are reasonably strong areas for the game, but in general the people who have traditionally followed it already have teams, unlike WS.

WS is almost a blank canvas, so even though as i have pointed out the Canberra connection has seen an obvious improvement in the game there, has it been to the detriment of the brand and game out in West ?...... possibly ..... the detractors of GWS and there are plenty, will seize on anything.

I think GWS playing home games in Canberra is a bit of a conundrum, on some levels it makes sense on some it seems stupid.

It gets back to identity and sustainability though. GWS needs to tap into southern NSW where it can. This is partially its life blood. So when you talk about Canberra it is really about the region.

The trouble with the Swans is it is too elitist and too Sydney centric. GWS needs to have a more regional focus which identifies itself with the grass roots and lifeblood of the game. Many people will go to Canberra every now and then from the Riverina and Albury area simply because it is only 2-3 hours away. Remember a 3 hour drive in the country is not a long trip. GWS needs to be more people focused and community orientated IMO to separate itself from the Swans.

Some are talking about peeling the academy area away from footy strongholds in Riverina but the area is important for the lifeblood of the GWS's identity and to create a club with a fabric of meaning and purpose. So okay their might be a slight advantage with the Riverina linkage but it is an advantage that can be grown and developed for the whole AFL community from GWS's support. So even though GWS might get an advantage of a Hopper or 2 coming to GWS, it is an advantage which benefits the AFL overall in terms of its development as well as GWS. Frankly if I was GWS I would try and keep that type of linkage because I think it is critical to the development of the GWS ethos and soul and people want to push for a level playing field GWS can lose other advantages elsewhere.

Put it this way. I was born in Riverina in the 70's and my father played Aussie Rules. I grew up on the Rugby league boundary but I was a bit like Kiern Jack in that Aussie Rules suited me but I had my father's passion for Aussie Rules to draw on. When I grew up, there was no Sydney, Adelaide, West Coast or Brisbane, there was a bit of state footy and Carey was a unknown in North Wagga. I followed the Tigers because they were going strong at the time and the colours, song etc.., my Father followed Essendon because of his local teams colours and my Brother followed Carlton because they were fairly strong to I imagine but you have to ask him. If we had of grown up now most likely we would be following GWS. People like me and my father and others, even though we have other teams we support, still have an interest in Sydney and GWS in particular because it draws on and supports the areas we grew up in and lived and so forth. Values like loyalty counts for more in country regional areas so it is definitely something GWS can and should drawn on for the mutual benefit of GWS and the area in terms of the longevity and prosperity of both IMO.

I just think in GWS's infancy, the Canberra/southern NSW market should not be ignored because the club needs as much strength it can get to draw on for its own health and benefit not to mention direction! In this regard an extra game down South would not be a bad idea IMO atm.

I come from the same area as Carey, frankly I am not buying the argument GWS will not be around for a longer time. I actually think GWS has a better chance to continue and survive than the Swans! I actually regard the Swans as a executive plaything for power brokers not a football club and doomed to fail over time. Wouldn't be the first thing the duck said/did that made no sense but I thought what he said had practically no foundation, and tbh I am not sure what agenda he was pushing if any at all, or on who's behalf! To be honest I see GWS as a peoples club and to draw the people in you need to embrace them. A FIFO mining company model does not work to get the attention of the community. You need to expose yourself to them with regularlity to be considered part of the fabric of the territory and region, you need to earn your right to be considered local.

At the moment, this will seem a stretch for some, but GWS and its fight, in a way, represents a microcosm of the global battle between main street and wall street. It is in the AFL's broader interest for GWS to survive and to tap into the passions of main street to broaden its fan base, develop its product and grow the game!

Last edited:
It gets back to identity and sustainability though. GWS needs to tap into southern NSW where it can. This is partially its life blood. So when you talk about Canberra it is really about the region.

The trouble with the Swans is it is too elitist and too Sydney centric. GWS needs to have a more regional focus which identifies itself with the grass roots and lifeblood of the game. Many people will go to Canberra every now and then from the Riverina and Albury area simply because it is only 2-3 hours away. Remember a 3 hour drive in the country is not a long trip. GWS needs to be more people focused and community orientated IMO to separate itself from the Swans.

Some are talking about peeling the academy area away from footy strongholds in Riverina but the area is important for the lifeblood of the GWS's identity and to create a club with a fabric of meaning and purpose. So okay their might be a slight advantage with the Riverina linkage but it is an advantage that can be grown and developed for the whole AFL community from GWS's support. So even though GWS might get an advantage of a Hopper or 2 coming to GWS, it is an advantage which benefits the AFL overall in terms of its development as well as GWS. Frankly if I was GWS I would try and keep that type of linkage because I think it is critical to the development of the GWS ethos and soul and people want to push for a level playing field GWS can lose other advantages elsewhere.

Put it this way. I was born in Riverina in the 70's and my father played Aussie Rules. I grew up on the Rugby league boundary but I was a bit like Kiern Jack in that Aussie Rules suited me but I had my father's passion for Aussie Rules to draw on. When I grew up, there was no Sydney, Adelaide, West Coast or Brisbane, there was a bit of state footy and Carey was a unknown in North Wagga. I followed the Tigers because they were going strong at the time and the colours, song etc.., my Father followed Essendon because of his local teams colours and my Brother followed Carlton because they were fairly strong to I imagine but you have to ask him. If we had of grown up now most likely we would be following GWS. People like me and my father and others, even though we have other teams we support, still have an interest in Sydney and GWS in particular because it draws on and supports the areas we grew up in and lived and so forth. Values like loyalty counts for more in country regional areas so it is definitely something GWS can and should drawn on for the mutual benefit of GWS and the area in terms of the longevity and prosperity of both IMO.

I just think in GWS's infancy, the Canberra/southern NSW market should not be ignored because the club needs as much strength it can get to draw on for its own health and benefit not to mention direction! In this regard an extra game down South would not be a bad idea IMO atm.

I come from the same area as Carey, frankly I am not buying the argument GWS will not be around for a longer time. I actually think GWS has a better chance to continue and survive than the Swans! I actually regard the Swans as a executive plaything for power brokers not a football club and doomed to fail over time. Wouldn't be the first thing the duck said/did that made no sense but I thought what he said had practically no foundation, and tbh I am not sure what agenda he was pushing if any at all, or on who's behalf! To be honest I see GWS as a peoples club and to draw the people in you need to embrace them. A FIFO mining company model does not work to get the attention of the community. You need to expose yourself to them with regularlity to be considered part of the fabric of the territory and region, you need to earn your right to be considered local.

At the moment, this will seem a stretch for some, but GWS and its fight, in a way, represents a microcosm of the global battle between main street and wall street. It is in the AFL's broader interest for GWS to survive and to tap into the passions of main street to broaden its fan base, develop its product and grow the game!

The Riverina and southern NSW is not being ignored. That's why we hold community clinics and school visits throughout the region - usually led by the boys who come from down that way, but the others are all involved too. This was the first year we didn't play a NAB game in the area (no idea why) but expect more going forward.

there is a definite commitment to more than just Canberra and there is a definite community engagement with the Riverina region.

The Riverina and southern NSW is not being ignored. That's why we hold community clinics and school visits throughout the region - usually led by the boys who come from down that way, but the others are all involved too. This was the first year we didn't play a NAB game in the area (no idea why) but expect more going forward.

there is a definite commitment to more than just Canberra and there is a definite community engagement with the Riverina region.

In fact, a couple of years back, NRL fans were up in arms to discover that the Wagga city council were paying GWS a couple of hundred grand to play a practice game there, or a NEAFL game, or something similar.

long term the club needs a "true" home ground.
a solution to the current setup means more games in Western Sydney not less.
its good and all to say its about supporting regional areas but at the end of the day GWS need bumps on seats up in Sydney for the majority of their games.

the club can not hope to attract long term growth with a divided base, ATM the fact that showground is unavailable due to the easter show means they have justification. But its tough enough to attract supporters with 3 less games per year and still paying $180. Reducing that to 7 games per year. when GWS is competing against Parramatta, the bulldogs and Wanderers for supporters.

every single one of these clubs has cheaper membership and they are playing home games locally while the Giants don't get home games until after easter.

Canberra, the Riverina, anywhere that isn't Western Sydney are all secondary markets. The primary Market is Western Sydney, right now there's logistical issues with playing all home games in Sydney but long term GWS have sort them out.

your ignorance of Sydney as a market is exposed here, Western Sydney is that market you speak of. $180 is a lot of money to put on footy for many people out west and the pride that many westies have about living out west means that the wider community will not accept a club that isn't seen as full committed to Western Sydney. West tigers have already shown what happens to a club that isn't seen as fully committed to Western Sydney nets.
compare that to the eels who present some of the strongest crowds in the NRL not matter where they finish on the ladder.

Yes the giants need to grow there footprint and build secondary markets but no at the expense of Western Sydney. 4 games is too much, 3 is manageable but long term they need to be spread out through the season. Ideal no more then 2 games should be sold as the giants look to solidify the Western Sydney base.

Where GWS strength lies will be we're every Western Sydney club in every code, strengths lies, The east vs west. that has everything you want the elitist inner city vs the new knockabouts from out west. thats what the primary market is concerned about. Already the shit given been the two clubs leading into a derby is fairly callous and its barely even mentioned.

You don't quite understand the Sydney market. as noted by potting the Swans, who are the largest Club of any football club of League Union and Soccer anywhere north of melbourne.

Canberra-based footy fan here.

I won't get to watch the Geelong game later in the season, but the Giants have really turned it on in the ACT so far. They've played some great footy. It's been a privilege to watch them and I'm looking forward to seeing as much of them as I can over the next few years.

And hopefully Cameron works on the bicycle-kick. That would have been something if it'd gone in.

Cheers.

I won't get to watch the Geelong game later in the season, but the Giants have really turned it on in the ACT so far. They've played some great footy. It's been a privilege to watch them and I'm looking forward to seeing as much of them as I can over the next few years.

And hopefully Cameron works on the bicycle-kick. That would have been something if it'd gone in.

Cheers.
The bicycle kick was quite something anyway. I am sure he is going to get no end of sh.. for it too. If only it had gone in. These are the tales you can tell your kids..."I was there when...."

Cheers.
Wonder where the corner flag was for him to punch had the kick gone in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very jealous that the Canberra supporters were given first crack at attending an open post match presser. Even moreso after a great win. Luck, lucky bastards!

This was a great idea from Dave Matthews and the guys. I hope they do it again, and this time at Spotless after another big win. Would be a good tradition for the club to keep doing a couple of times a year.

BTW, how good is LC at handling the media?

Very jealous that the Canberra supporters were given first crack at attending an open post match presser. Even moreso after a great win. Luck, lucky bastards!

It's been enormous, enjoyable, a real buzz, to be at both games. The team is turning Manuka around, they can make it a stronghold.
Now if we could only get all those Canberra based AFL supporters, who follow their childhood VFL teams, out of their lounge rooms and over to the game, we'd soon be maxxing out Manuka with 15,000.

Sure it was brisk last night, but barracking from the stands sure beats shouting at the tele. C'mob Canberra, more bums on seats at the game.

This was a great idea from Dave Matthews and the guys. I hope they do it again, and this time at Spotless after another big win. Would be a good tradition for the club to keep doing a couple of times a year.

BTW, how good is LC at handling the media?

would be good to see, but its very much a publicity thing and as such its only possible because the game had stuff all reporters people present. the more you guys win the more you will be taken seriously and as such the big wins mean the media rocks up in droves and there's less room for the open presser.

would be good to see, but its very much a publicity thing and as such its only possible because the game had stuff all reporters people present. the more you guys win the more you will be taken seriously and as such the big wins mean the media rocks up in droves and there's less room for the open presser.
Not quite true. My understanding is they moved the presser to the Chairman's Lounge, a function area. Quite an easy thing to repeat at any other venue arund Australia. Most clubs could orchestrate such a thing. You wouldn't want to do it too regularly and set up an expectation with fans. Imagine having your disgruntled supporters there for a presser after a fifth insipid loss or something like that.

It's been enormous, enjoyable, a real buzz, to be at both games. The team is turning Manuka around, they can make it a stronghold.
Now if we could only get all those Canberra based AFL supporters, who follow their childhood VFL teams, out of their lounge rooms and over to the game, we'd soon be maxxing out Manuka with 15,000.

Sure it was brisk last night, but barracking from the stands sure beats shouting at the tele. C'mob Canberra, more bums on seats at the game.

The only way to build a good supporter base is be competitive, GWS also has the problem of converting Canberrans who have barracked for Melbourne teams for multiple generations and getting them out to watch and of course getting Canberrans to relate to a team that is called GWS.

It is all about the kiddies :)

Manuka Oval, despite its lights, is not suitable for a night game in winter.
I'm already ready for the inevitable flu after the Geelong game here.

Saw how close my Dad lives to Manuka this weekend. Definitely all for more games there now, provided they give us all free ear-muffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back