Preview Round 5 2024 - GWS Giants vs St Kilda, 1.45 pm Saturday 13 April @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The Gather Round win puts GWS Giants first on the ladder (on percentage) with a 4-0 win/loss record. Uncharted territory for our club. We join Carlton (first time 4-0 since 1995) & Geelong (first time 4-0 since 2017) on that mark, while thanks to opening round there are actually 5 teams on 16 premiership points, though Sydney and Melbourne are 4-1. Why am I saying that? Well, my point is that while it's a great start for us, the ladder is crowded & it's still early in the season, so we cannot afford to rest on our laurels nor think we are better than we actually are.

And for much of the game against the Gold Coast Suns, they matched or beat us, particularly in the contest and clearance battle. They moved the ball quickly at times, and found marking targets inside their F50. So, we'll need to up the ante in all facets of our game, but particularly the midfield, for the game against Saints. While they might not be the best midfield combination in the competition, with guys like Jack Steele working at the coalface, and running players such as NWM who can spread from the contest, they will pose a challenge notwithstanding their 2-2 current standing. A bit like the Suns, underestimate them at our peril.

The good for GWS in round 4 was that the midfield did push through its problems to take control of the contest in the last quarter. Briggs and Cogs were probably the main drivers behind that. And they will need to replicate that next week, while let's hope that Tom Green bounces back from a subdued performance. From Adam Kingsley's comments a few days ago, Callan Ward might be a possibility to return to the team for this game, and I would think that Kingers would appreciate his presence in the middle.

The forward line functioned well, as it has this whole season, racking up another 100+ scoreline on the back of a good spread of goalkickers across talls and smalls. As in the game against Collingwood, we converted our chances accurately, which certainly helped our cause. Hogan continued his impressive year, and almost held several other marks. Toby was back to his crafty best, while continuing to create for others. Unfortunately, he is on MRO watch for his tackle on Mac Andrew. While I don't think there was much in it at all, unfortunately the way the MRO is - and given some similarity to Tom Green's actions that handed him a 1-game suspension last year - he's likely to spend a week on the sideline.

The defensive team had a funny game. They weren't poor, but they weren't at their best either, partially down to Suns actually having some good methods of entry into our D50. Himmelberg got plenty of ball but made a few errors that led to goals. Buckley was excellent, and probably just shaded Sam Taylor today. Whitfield and Ash did some good things, but also made some errors. Overall, they probably just need to tweak their performance by a few extra percentage points.

So, what about potential changes? There doesn't seem to be any injuries, so it's probably just the chance that Toby misses from suspension. And Ward might be available to come back in. Might there be a straight swap? What if Toby doesn't miss and Ward is available, does he come back in for someone else, in which case, who? Harvey Thomas might be the logical choice - after 3 pretty good games, he was a bit quieter today. If Ward doesn't get up, who else might come in? Darcy Jones possibly, Toby McMullin perhaps. A bit to play out this week. Any chance of unforced changes? Well, I can't rule them out, but Kingers doesn't seem to be one to drop players readily, so despite some mutterings in the game thread, I'd be surprised if there are too many changes. I could see an adjustment to the sub, depending on what happens with Toby and Cal Ward.

What are your thoughts?

Unfortunately I think Toby gets a week off from that tackle. There wasn't much in it, but they've been pretty consistent with punishing tackles like that.

So given that, I'd swap Greene out for Jones. Assuming he's had adequate preparation I think it'd be a good time to give him a debut. They were certainly talking him up during the pre-season and I'd be excited to see what he can do.

If Ward is back I would put him in for Thomas (Ward takes XO's spot, XO takes Thomas' spot). That would give us a bit more grunt around the ball and in the forward line which I think we were missing a bit against GC.

Peatling probably stays as the sub? Though if I had my way, I'd prefer Haynes.

The Match Review findings for Sunday's round four games are in

Toby Greene during GWS's match against Gold Coast in R4, 2024.
GREATER Western Sydney skipper Toby Greene is free to play St Kilda this weekend after he was cleared for his tackle on Gold Coast's Mac Andrew on Sunday.

Greene was expected to come under scrutiny for the tackle on Andrew, which sparked a scuffle and led to the Giants skipper receiving a reversed free kick.

But the incident was not referenced in the Match Review Officer's report that was released on Monday.

Toby with no charge to answer
Animated GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think Thomas has had a good run and needs a spell so swap him for Jones. Ward for Wehr if he is ready with Callaghan/XO/Kelly playing wing. I suspect Haynes might be back to sub this week too

I'd probably take Ward in for Wehr if we are sure he's good to go. No point risking him early. He will get to that 300 games anyway.
I'd probably still run with Thomas for a little longer until we see more of Jones in the 2s.
Nice having a he options.

I think Ross the Boss will turn this into a cogmire. And if the weather is cold and windy, it sure won't be a high scoring game. Who would the game breaker if so?
This is my fear. Lyon turning the game into a defensive slog to keep it close.
Daniels, then Bedford for game breaking moments. Then Toby can have a midfield run if they keep him quiet up forward.

I think Ross the Boss will turn this into a cogmire. And if the weather is cold and windy, it sure won't be a high scoring game. Who would the game breaker if so?
21° clear skies and light winds. Manuka has very similar dimensions to the mcg, and it’s a fast deck usually. Would be surprised to see the saints try and slow it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back