Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need fresh ideas and a totally new game plan, appointing Schofield for next year would be madness. Interim coach from within the ranks until end of season then get the best external candidate for 2025. I’m expecting that to be Dean Cox.

Yes but Schofield might prove he is up to the job , has many football people backing him I would imagine .
You think Coxy would be better ?

take the eagles against brisbane while they're still paying $5.25

Bit optimistic to think we'll beat the Lions based on this alone, but shit that would be funny that they finally get on a plane to play us at Optus and we roll them due to these extenuating circumstances. Would seal our fate to play them exclusively at the Gabba for another decade.

Bye Simmo :(
Thank you again for your service and most of all for 2018 which remains the best day of my life.

I was in the minority who wanted him to see out his contract (at least) so my main reaction is emptiness /disappointment even if I understand the decision

Well done from both parties in terms of the way it happened. I found out direct from the club , without any media leak, and am grateful for that.

Matthew Knights coaching record: Cant Wait!!

YearsClubGames (W–L–D)
2008–2010Essendon67 (25–41–1)
2022West Coast1 (0–1–0)

Bit optimistic to think we'll beat the Lions based on this alone, but shit that would be funny that they finally get on a plane to play us at Optus and we roll them due to these extenuating circumstances. Would seal our fate to play them exclusively at the Gabba for another decade.

not uncommon for teams to have a win after a coach gets sacked

Yep, this is likely the end of tenure at the club for most of the assistants too.
Keep Shuey due to his rapport with the players and understanding of the modern game then put a broom through the rest.

Personally I’d want Cox as senior coach, Mark Williams as a development coach then get the rest in consultation with Pyke and Cox, preferably from clubs with recent success and/or a good culture like Sydney, Collingwood and Richmond.

Thank you Simmo!!!!

Was told Sunday final game but that news seems to indicate straight away, perhaps just a farewell at the game.

Keep Shuey due to his rapport with the players and understanding of the modern game then put a broom through the rest.

Personally I’d want Cox as senior coach, Mark Williams as a development coach then get the rest in consultation with Pyke and Cox, preferably from clubs with recent success and/or a good culture like Sydney, Collingwood and Richmond.

there were rumours when hurn retired that he would take a year off then join as an assistant

Yes but Schofield might prove he is up to the job , has many football people backing him I would imagine .
You think Coxy would be better ?
Cox would be better and we need fresh ideas. Schofield would have had significant input into our current setup and game plan yet here we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Simmo.

Really appreciate the blood, sweat and tears you have put into the club from the Eagles Web in 2015 to the 2018 premiership.

All the best for the future!

Hopefully we can give him a good send off this Sunday.

Then the club can get on with the business of getting the best coach for next year onwards.

Thank you Simmo!!!!

Was told Sunday final game but that news seems to indicate straight away, perhaps just a farewell at the game.

Don't think many would be unhappy with him coaching a final game this weekend, tbh. Especially considering it is a home game too.

Have been a massive fan over the journey. I thought he brought our team into the modern game after feeling like we were stagnant with Woosha.

He's handled himself well through this and some of the highlights are:

-Getting the best out of Jeremy McGovern. Gov was headed for the delist pile and Woosha had spoken to him about his preparation with little to no results. Simpson took over saw there was something to work with and challenged Gov to up his professionalism. He is now the player he is today due to that.
-Yeo becoming the mid that we desperately needed to lead the team BBIBTWBLF.
-Handling the exits of Cox, Glass & Priddis. Had the "3 ruck policy" going until he could find a way to let Cox know that he wanted to go with the Lycett & NN combo. Had Glass retire mid season as Simpson said he needed leaders who could take the field and teach. Glass couldnt promise that so stepped down. Priddis had a year to run and had only just signed when Simpson challenged him with a new role that was beyond his abilities and lead to him calling time despite the extra year. Great management.
-the web like defense that utilised Gov's intercepting ability once we had 2 KPD's go down for the season.
-And of course the 2018 premiership. No NN 2/3 of the way through the year but managed to come up with a ruck setup consisting of Lycett and Vardy to finish the season. Backing Rioli and Ryan in that year as younger players getting their start.

A great operator and lots of great memories. Thanks Simmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back