Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you feel a touch to soon for West Coast? He is more than ready and has probably been senior coach ready for some years now.
Now I am not saying we should appoint him as he unfortunately for him has been part of Adams team. I was just curious why you thought not ready for West Coast?
I don't think his media performance was that good. He clearly had his scripted lines on the "journey", and didn't seem to be able to deviate from that. He would struggle with any media pressure.

Don pyke is also not a good media performer. Both are substandard in this regard compared to Simpson, Worsfold and nisbett.

I don't think his media performance was that good. He clearly had his scripted lines on the "journey", and didn't seem to be able to deviate from that. He would struggle with any media pressure.

Don pyke is also not a good media performer. Both are substandard in this regard compared to Simpson, Worsfold and nisbett.
We’re after a coach not a Tim Gossage

One thing that concerns me in regards the recent Adam Simpson departure, is the close personal friendship that Simpson had developed with Langer, he was very lucky to survive at the end of 2023 and I dare say Langer would have had a fair bit of input into that decision.
In my opinion there was a definite conflict of interest there, which needed to be addressed.
I hope Pyke has or is addressing the problem.

One thing that concerns me in regards the recent Adam Simpson departure, is the close personal friendship that Simpson had developed with Langer, he was very lucky to survive at the end of 2023 and I dare say Langer would have had a fair bit of input into that decision.
In my opinion there was a definite conflict of interest there, which needed to be addressed.
No matter who was coaching I think it would have been a tough year. I actually think it was a prudent decision for Simmo to take the baulk of the heat for the year. Schofield could go 0 and 7 and no one is going to bat an eyelid.

You are spot on about the conflict of interest. I want Dean Cox coaching next year but having Pyke as part of the selection process is again a conflict of interest. I said in an earlier post I hope IF he his appointed then his strong relationship with Pyke will be beneficial to the club but I hope it doesn’t influence any part of the selection process even though I personally want that to be the end result. If Langer had such a strong personal relationship with Simpson then like any well governed business he should have stepped aside from that particular decision making process which should have been made on merit and not emotion.

Agree with this. journo kind of called him out on it as well 'well you're already using the language' to which a few people in the room laughed

When Schofield rocked up for the presser i thought WTF they've dragged in some ugly tattooed homeless tramp off the streets.
Was not a good look, they could have at least dressed him up a bit and hidden the tatts..
For the sake of the club i hope he can coach the whole team better than he's coached the midfield.
If he wasn't next in line who else could they have given it to ?
Knights and Webster would have been far far worse

When Schofield rocked up for the presser i thought WTF they've dragged in some ugly tattooed homeless tramp off the streets.
Was not a good look, they could have at least dressed him up a bit and hidden the tatts..
For the sake of the club i hope he can coach the whole team better than he's coached the midfield.
Haha hidden the tatts??
Settle down Nanna, maybe you should knit him some blue and yellow arm sleeves or something

I assume we have to bring back the suit or at least long sleeve business shirt and club tie which was the home game, game day attire of the coach and coaching staff back then.

1720832474991.jpeg

Whilst those were the days ❤️ time does move on!

Can gauge your age bracket.

It’s remarkable that you’ve been able to switch on the computer or browse on your phone

Some ripping humour this morning.

He spoke very well, with a great deal of respect. He won’t struggle with any media pressure.
You watched something vastly different than I did.
Fortunately performing in the media is not important. Football is all that is important. Media is for politicians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GRH1-QAXMAATNpF

Not sure about prickly but Cox has always come across as a bit arrogant and a FIGJAM to me.
Just needs to drink Chardonnay and he's a perfect fit for the Eagles!?

But seriously, after several years as assistant coach, he would've had some of those traits ironed out in the group process, especially at Sydney...(if those traits actually existed)

Last edited:

you could say the same thing about Pyke though too couldnt you? worked together and ultimately kept him on.

That said, I think the financials played the biggest part in simpson not being sacked last season.

I think he is known generally to have a fairly prickly personality.

I had a family friend who was a nurse (she has since died of brain cancer) who was a senior nurse at the clinic where all the players go (or used to go to before Optus was built) for medical assessments post game if necessary and she was always saying that Cox was extremely rude and unpleasant to deal with. Much more so than any other player.

Thats just an anecdotal story but it marries up with general public perception of him. And i don't really care if he is prickly if he is going to get better results at the job than anybody else. But i definately don't think he is known as a very affable or personable individual.
Pity he a bit raspy then. I worked with his dad up in Dampier many years ago and he was a genuine gentleman. Pity Dean didn’t follow his dads footsteps.

Time for my write up.

I find it very sad, I'll get that part in a sec.

I've been a staunch supporter of Simmo, to the end, and all he has done for the club.

I trusted that he would turn around many things, as we turned over the list:
  • Standards, non-negotables, repercussions
  • Game day selection integrity
  • Rewarding WAFL form and in a position that plays to their relative strengths
  • Abolishment of the Credits

By and large, the changes never came. Appears I had my head stuck in the sand.

Sad, because it happens with every coach at the tail end, unable to change. Sad, because his destiny was in his hands and he was unable to change. I thought this time would be different. It wasn't.

Thanks for the memories Simmo and best of luck in your new phase of life and the family.

Regarding Cox and others in line for the coaching role - No matter what your current situation, it's a very tempting proposition, arguably the biggest AFL club and a $Mill a year, plus-plus; and a long tenure depending on performance. I reckon Buckley would be a great coach, be ironic, he is also single (?) in regards to moving...

Regarding Cox and others in line for the coaching role - No matter what your current situation, it's a very tempting proposition, arguably the biggest AFL club and a $Mill a year, plus-plus; and a long tenure depending on performance. I reckon Buckley would be a great coach, be ironic, he is also single (?) in regards to moving...
Buckley was a terrible coach. A lesser team started to dominate, literally the next season after he was given the boot. He's had a platform to defend his legacy on fox but even Collingwood fans don't wish him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back