Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Has he completed all certificates required yet?
If the certificate is compulsory then i doubt very much that he hasn't got it, he's been and assistant at Collingwood
for the last 4 yrs and a midfield coach at that.
Does anyone know where it is stated the you require a certificate to be a senior coach.

Gee Will Schofield's chip on his shoulder is pathetic. What a debbie downer on our coaching position. Its like hes gone full Ken Judge on the club

Gee Will Schofield's chip on his shoulder is pathetic. What a debbie downer on our coaching position. Its like hes gone full Ken Judge on the club

I don't really mind him being a bit of a salty prick usually, criticism is largely overblown. But definitely went into insufferable areas on shelter today. Been watching Cornes a bit too closely

Still wary about appointing a caretaker full time.

Good article on the caretaker coaches between 2000-2022. Of the 10 that got the job fulltime, only Roos went on to win a flag although a few others were
relatively successful (Thomas, Harvey, Ratten, Craig)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised Peter Sumich has not been mentioned to coach for the next 2 seasons.

I think he could be good as the man just to oversee the Eagles, as they settle the list out.
He'd be great if you don't want to nurture a good culture

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the certificate is compulsory then i doubt very much that he hasn't got it, he's been and assistant at Collingwood
for the last 4 yrs and a midfield coach at that.
Does anyone know where it is stated the you require a certificate to be a senior coach.
We might as well get Shuey or Hurn as our head coach.

We might as well get Shuey or Hurn as our head coach.

One’s been coaching for multiple years, the others have done a combined one year.

One’s experienced how other clubs are run, the others have spent their entire playing and (in the case of Shuey) coaching career at West Coast.

This is part of why I dislike Tom Morris. Credit where it’s due, he’s good at getting news on what’s happening but he’s just a slime bucket

It’s clear what Buckley is trying to say - he wasn’t interested in going back to coaching yet so the chat he had with Pyke was more general in nature. That meant that reports he’d “spurned” the eagles were incorrect because he’d never considered it

But thick head Morris wasn’t having that and kept pushing the narrative that Buckley had turned his back on them because that’s the one more likely to get attention

One’s been coaching for multiple years, the others have done a combined one year.

One’s experienced how other clubs are run, the others have spent their entire playing and (in the case of Shuey) coaching career at West Coast.
That is just an example of unqualified vs unqualified(and how can we justified to say the older Hurn who has been in the footy industry longer and a premiership captain be less experienced). Some organisation might use a bookkeeper as accountant and electrician as engineer but I don't think the WCE should use anyone that has not been fully qualified as head coach (and I am not saying Selwood is not qualified but I just questioned if he has completed the basic academic qualification for this job).
The formal selection process should and would definitely look at this.

Last edited:
That is just an example of unqualified vs unqualified(and how can we justified to say the older Hurn who has been in the footy industry longer and a premiership captain be less experienced). Some organisation might use a bookkeeper as accountant and electrician as engineer but I don't think the WCE should use anyone that has not been fully qualified as head coach (and I am not saying Selwood is not qualified but I just questioned if he has completed the basic academic qualification for this job).
The formal selection process should and would definitely look at this.

This is a role where they should be far more concerned about the “experience” section of a candidate’s resume than the “qualifications” section, in my opinion.

This is a role where they should be far more concerned about the “experience” section of a candidate’s resume than the “qualifications” section, in my opinion.
I disagree. I think both fundamental knowledge and experience are important. There is a good reason why AFL has implemented this 4 levels of coaching course .
I would be very very surprised if Selwood get invited to this job.

I disagree. I think both fundamental knowledge and experience are important. There is a good reason why AFL has implemented this 4 levels of coaching course .
I would be very very surprised if Selwood get invited to this job.

Based on a quick search, only a handful of current coaches have done that course. And that excludes recent appointees like Sam Mitchell, Craig McRae and Adem Yze.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back