Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Nissy was still top dog we'd see out Simmo's contract in fear of paying him out. Pyke will do what needs to be done.

Dean Cox please.
I'm not so sure.

Simpson talks like he is in full control and has no issue with his future as coach but puts the heat on everyone else at the club.

He's untouchable imo

Yes but the point is, if a senior player like Duggan, Barrass, Cripps - any senior player, doesn't put in enough effort drop them, even if that means bringing in a player who doesn't deserve it. Maybe then each player will think to themselves "shit if I don't try this week I may find myself dropped next week", even if their name is Oscar Allen, Liam Ryan, Liam Duggan etc. That should have happened 2 years ago though but Simpson was so fixated on trying to a win a game, even when the team was no chance of winning he looked past it. Now the whole team is infiltrated with players who try when they feel like it because nothing has been done about it for years, and that is all on the head coach.
I agree. The culture at the club in terms of mentality and effort is so rotten that drastic action needs to be taken. Make it clear that the number 1 metric for getting picked is effort. If you are more talented than the next bloke but he is willing to try harder than you, even if he is not ready for AFL or if he is just flat out clearly not going to be good enough in the long run, then he will get picked in front of you because he willing to give 100% and you aren't.

And we need to do that for a while, not just a week or two, until the playing group gets the message and it sinks in. It is not very often that a club needs to do things as drastic as this. But thats where we are at IMO. Even if playing lesser players leads to a few 100 point losses in the short term we just have to stamp this cancer of half assed efforts out totally. We can't progress in any way until everybody is giving 100% effort all the time again.

I agree. The culture at the club in terms of mentality and effort is so rotten that drastic action needs to be taken. Make it clear that the number 1 metric for getting picked is effort. If you are more talented than the next bloke but he is willing to try harder than you, even if he is not ready for AFL or if he is just flat out clearly not going to be good enough in the long run, then he will get picked in front of you because he willing to give 100% and you aren't.

And we need to do that for a while, not just a week or two, until the playing group gets the message and it sinks in. It is not very often that a club needs to do things as drastic as this. But thats where we are at IMO. Even if playing lesser players leads to a few 100 point losses in the short term we just have to stamp this cancer of half assed efforts out totally. We can't progress in any way until everybody is giving 100% effort all the time again.
A change of head coach will likely lead to effort put in because the coach will actually say to the players, I don't give a **** what you've done in the past, it's about now and into the future. Perform now week in week out or **** off

First time im saying this, but simmo has to go at the end of the year.

And NO i dont think Schofield should be head coach. Hes been here 3 years....and ive seen no changes to how our midfield operates....it still gets molested out the middle
Schofield has a better cv then Dean cox even if cox wins the flag

A change of head coach will likely lead to effort put in because the coach will actually say to the players, I don't give a ** what you've done in the past, it's about now and into the future. Perform now week in week out or ** off
I just watched his presser and he contradicts himself. Openly admits we gotten beaten primarily for work rate but says there is no attitude problem or lack of hunger. And they won't treat the post game analysis any differently to normal because the loss "is not a catastophe". Shows no anger, disappointment, surprise or wounded pride in his face, voice or body language. Offers no pathway forward as to how he is going to change the poor work rate. He won't criticise the players. It is so frustrating. He just needs to go.

Anybody coaching a team dishing up performances like that (with a significantly more experienced team than the opposition) who feels absolutely nothing negative about it afterwards doesn't deserve to be there and in reality probably doesn't even really want to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Don Pyke doesn’t hold a press conference within the next 48 hours, to announce that Adam Simpson has been axed, or ‘has taken it upon himself to step down as coach effective immediately’ then something is seriously wrong at board level.

No coach, of any sport, worldwide, could possibly defend the win / loss stats from Simpson over the past three years.

Schofield has had plenty of chance to prove his mettle with the midfield group (and Schuey clearly isn’t coaching material at any level for that matter). Pyke cannot go either an internal appointment.

WCE need to DO ANYTHING to lure Dean Cox from Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Don Pyke doesn’t hold a press conference within the next 48 hours, to announce that Adam Simpson has been axed, or ‘has taken it upon himself to step down as coach effective immediately’ then something is seriously wrong at board level.

No coach, of any sport, worldwide, could possibly defend the win / loss stats from Simpson over the past three years.

Schofield has had plenty of chance to prove his mettle with the midfield group (and Schuey clearly isn’t coaching material at any level for that matter). Pyke cannot go either an internal appointment.

Only Dean Cox if Sydney win the flag. If cox was an assistant for a club that failed in the big time with 2 grand final losses that's alarm bells

Simmo said near the start of the season, to judge him when he has a healthy list. That was a fair statement after the injury toll we had the past couple of years. Well, the list doesn't get much more healthy than this week, and so Simmo is rightfully going to get judged because his tactics, his preparation, and decision making isn't there.

I don't care about the soft cap stuff. The club can weather the hit financially. But it won't weather another year of this. Thanks Simmo for all you've done, but the time is right to move on.

One alternative to Dean Cox might be Nathan Buckley.

The man has fight in him. These players need a leader of men. Someone who can inspire.

And he trots out the we got a lesson in work rate tripe again…. Why don’t these guys know what work rate is required each week at afl level and it’s nonnegotiable

So the coach hasn't been able to get through to the entire playing group that you need to give effort? Ok.

See ya mate 👋🏼

First time im saying this, but simmo has to go at the end of the year.

And NO i dont think Schofield should be head coach. Hes been here 3 years....and ive seen no changes to how our midfield operates....it still gets molested out the middle

I have been an advocate for Simmo, generally, in the past, but no more. I want him gone asap. With the performance today, it's clear there is a cancer in the club, and we need a new head honcho to root it out. it's not happening under Simmo's watch.

Besides Dean Cox, who do you guys like to replace him? the obvious starting point would be to grab another Sydney assistant or perhaps one from Carlton. Sides that have had a upturn in recent seasons.
Enright might be a good candidate. He was an integral part of a dominant side. Would command respect, tutelage under Bomber Thompson and Chris Scott, currently assistant at Saints under Ross Lyon....

One alternative to Dean Cox might be Nathan Buckley.

The man has fight in him. These players need a leader of men. Someone who can inspire.

I think Cox has fight in him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really do hope that we avoid taking the favourite son route.

Simpson:

"We won't treat this like a catastrophe but challenge the attitude and mindset of the players"

Just lol
Some of the shit he's been saying this season is unbelievable.

Is this the definition of"Gentle Coaching " or what?

I'd have been out there at qtr time 🤬🤬🤬! To the whole group. Sometimes you do need to bake the shit out of the players!

Enright might be a good candidate. He was an integral part of a dominant side. Would command respect, tutelage under Bomber Thompson and Chris Scott, currently assistant at Saints under Ross Lyon....

Interesting. I feel like Pyke would see Enright more of a risk compared to a Buckley (who has coached at the highest level) and Cox (who’s currently senior-assisting the best team in the comp).

Plus, there’s a bit of romance imbedded in the idea of bringing back a premiership eagle to head-up the team. It’s worked before, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back