Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugh, reluctant to dip into this thread in the current mood, but like many of the more rational posters - I think yesterday was a watershed moment and the die has been cast.

Simmo strikes me as a lovely bloke, and he's been a terrific servant of the club (despite the claims of some of you utter maniacs) but either: a) the gameplan isn't working, b) Simmo is picking the wrong personnel for the gameplan to work or c) the boys aren't buying into the gameplan.

In any event, the conclusion is the same: it's probably time to go.

In looking at the thread, we seem to be saying it's a question of does he go now, or does he go at season's end? I agree that mid-year sackings seldom create much benefit. Worst case, you get dead cat bounce from your interim coach and you end up hiring Matthew Primus.

However, moving on now would mean we'd be the first team into the open market looking for a new head coach. That's not nothing.

Is there a middle ground here? Simmo announces he's done at season's end - the boys get to play with some freedom between then and now (I mean, how can it be any worse?) and we get to start the recruitment process out in the open without and palace intrigue? I dunno, just asking the question.

Well, agree with pretty much all of this but you're underselling Hawthorn here.

They're a game and % off 5th place.

Don't be surprised to see them knocking on the door of the top 4 at season's end.

Having said that, the effort yesterday was abysmal and shouldn't be excused.

I don’t know if they will finish that high… They have definitely improved for sure, however given they hadn’t won a game outside of VIC/TAS since Round 2, 2022, I was hoping for at least a competitive game…

He is only implementing Simpsons plan. Thats why they get 250K per season and simmo gets 1M per season.
I mean, is he?

He may be a very capable coach but I've seen people shit all over Webster constantly, yet whatever line he coaches seems to do fine.

Schofield coaches the mids directly, so I doubt he'd have no input into what happens in regards to their planning.

I don’t know if they will finish that high… They have definitely improved for sure, however given they hadn’t won a game outside of VIC/TAS since Round 2, 2022, I was hoping for at least a competitive game…
They should be 7th right now, if they didn't shit the bed vs Port.

They're not a bottom 4 side, like everyone seems to think.

What makes you think the message would be drastically different? The candidates for a caretaker coach are already at the club - a large chunk of what we are doing could already be from the brains of Schofield or Knights.
Or it could also be the assistant coaches have to do things Simmo’s way - in other words it’s “my way or the highway” as I understand that’s why Jamie Graham ended up leaving or at least one of the reasons🤔.

Get ready for some hurt feelings

We won the 2018 premiership in spite of Adam Simpson not because of him. Everyone knows that in reality it was Sam Mitchell who should have been on the podium with Shannon Hurn, not Adam Simpson if we were being honest about who was responsbile for what

Its no surprise or coincidence that we fell away right after Sam Mitchell left and 5 years later Sam Mitchells team is running circles all over us in a glorified training drill.

I mean, is he?

He may be a very capable coach but I've seen people shit all over Webster constantly, yet whatever line he coaches seems to do fine.

Schofield coaches the mids directly, so I doubt he'd have no input into what happens in regards to their planning.

Of course he has input mate. But if he sits in MC and says hey Simmo I am sick to death of the inconsistency of player x, I don't want him in the midfield anymore. Then coach Simpson says well bad luck because thats where he is playing then that is not ideal is it.
Now is this happening? I would suspect that assistants certainly have their say, but ultimately it comes down to one man, and that man is the head coach.

You may be right that Schofield certainly is not our next coach and as much as i am a fan of him he has probably been with Simmo to long now. Needs to go elsewhere to be a senior coach.

Is there a middle ground here? Simmo announces he's done at season's end - the boys get to play with some freedom between then and now (I mean, how can it be any worse?) and we get to start the recruitment process out in the open without and palace intrigue? I dunno, just asking the question.
That would be the best outcome.

Clear the air, Simmo gets to go out at the end of the season and we still look for a new coach in the meantime.

We won the 2018 premiership in spite of Adam Simpson not because of him. Everyone knows that in reality it was Sam Mitchell who should have been on the podium with Shannon Hurn, not Adam Simpson if we were being honest about who was responsbile for what

Its no surprise or coincidence that we fell away right after Sam Mitchell left and 5 years later Sam Mitchells team is running circles all over us in a glorified training drill.

Nope I can't have that mate. Simmo was the coach and he gets the credit. Thats how it has to be. And really what do you think Sami Mitchell did? We won the flag because Collingwood beat Richmond in the preliminary final. we were not the best side that year.

If Simpson isn't head coach of WCE, Mitchell never comes to coach and we don't win the flag.

So even if it could be attributed to Mitchell, it would never have happened to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course he has input mate. But if he sits in MC and says hey Simmo I am sick to death of the inconsistency of player x, I don't want him in the midfield anymore. Then coach Simpson says well bad luck because thats where he is playing then that is not ideal is it.
Now is this happening? I would suspect that assistants certainly have their say, but ultimately it comes down to one man, and that man is the head coach.

You may be right that Schofield certainly is not our next coach and as much as i am a fan of him he has probably been with Simmo to long now. Needs to go elsewhere to be a senior coach.
Whilst Simpson probably does indeed have most of the power when it comes to selection, all the coaches(including Horsley) have a say on who they think deserves a shot, so who really knows what's being said behind closed doors?

The only established coach that I want and might be remotely gettable is Chris Scott.

Geelong is winding down, he's been there forever and he might be ready for a new challenge. He's also managed to have sustained success with awful ruckman, perfect fit!

Nope I can't have that mate. Simmo was the coach and he gets the credit. Thats how it has to be. And really what do you think Sami Mitchell did? We won the flag because Collingwood beat Richmond in the preliminary final. we were not the best side that year.
100% agree with the 2nd part

At very least, Simmo was a sum of the parts around him as opposed to the clear driver however. It definetly fell away when Mitchell left. Cant ignore that as the outcome

The only established coach that I want and might be remotely gettable is Chris Scott.

Geelong is winding down, he's been there forever and he might be ready for a new challenge. He's also managed to have sustained success with awful ruckman, perfect fit!
Would much rather give an untried assistant a go.

Long time senior coaches get stuck in their ways far too much and get left behind, be it gameplan, picking the same types, etc.

Need to get someone younger and fresh, with their own ideas.

Simmo gets the credits (in the bank) when we were good and gets the criticism when we're shit.

Premiership is on him, overhauling the gameplan when Mackenzie and Brown went down and steering us to a Grand Final in 2015 is on him, the club falling apart in the hub is on him and whatever the **** we've been shitting out for the last three years is on him too.

Liam Duggan wondering why did it happen m, even after coach speech after game shows that no one knows what’s going on or players simply not good enough to execute.

Simpson saying we have to own it is not good enough. What does that mean? Do players even know how to own it? I can go around saying “I own it” but if I don’t feel it, means shit.

And also, when it comes to owning it, what does NOT OWNING it look like?

Enough meaningless crap. Odds are we aren’t winning another game. Reid can’t handle a tag and can’t handle players needling him to throw him off his game. So that Reid exceptionalism is likely to be offline for rest of season whilst he adapts to all that and stops reacting (or playing for free kicks).

After years of middling draft picks and being on top this is the result.
You don't get to the point we are just because of "years of middling draft picks and being on top". If it were just that we'd be shallow bouncing a 2-3 year rebuild with some top up guns like we've done half a dozen times previously through our history.

What we are doing is basically restarting a club from scratch without draft concessions. Even if we nail every draft pick from now and get every trade spot on I've seen nothing that makes me think Simmo is capable of aligning the talent available into a modern gamestyle. He has overseen years of glaring tactical deficiencies that have never been resolved. Years of shocking player development. Shocking recruitment. Poor fitness standards.

Nothing is changing and nothing will change.

Last edited:
We were the best side and we absolutely demolished Richmond when we played them in the season. We would have beaten them in a grand final. If not for poor kicking, we could have beaten Collingwood by 5 goals and probably would have done the same to the Tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back