Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree, it can have a huge change on the players getting someone in for the last 8 weeks.
The players can be put on notice that they are playing for their careers, the line in the sand has been drawn and inconsistency is a thing of the past for the senior players. There is no more credits for anyone, no more excuses. Football is first, it is your job and thats how it has to be.

Keeping Simmo just engrains in our young kids for another 8 weeks that not being accountable is ok.
New message. New voice. New non negotiables.
IMO you will get that change when you get a new coach. I don't want that change for the last 8 weeks of the season. I think the players at North etc can get used to the "Uh oh new coach...better straighten up a fly right" and therefore the change starts to not bring that natural improvement you get if you waste it on a caretaker in the short term for a slight hit and lower draft pick that could happen due to it if you snag another win or 2.
I like that we let Worsfold coach out until the end despite the last 6 or so games of the season being just as shit as we are seeing now. I would like them to at the very least let Simpson limp to the finish line in this season and then get that natural improvement with change starting pre-season and generate that momentum into a new season.

I think any dissection of or criticism of the gameplan is putting the cart before the horse. The effort and mentality is not there. And it hasn't been there for a long time now. And if that is not there then whatever the gameplan is and however good it might be is irrelevent.

I think what has hapenned is a rot set in in the playing list in 2020 where players began feeling entitled and wanted to pick and choose when to try and when not to. Then in addition to that rot the Covid stuff hapenned followed by a spate of injuries that affected availability. And in an effort to dodge the blame for worsenning results and exonerate themselves the club hierarchy, including Simpson and Nisbett, publicly blamed everything on Covid and injuries and effectively gave the playing group an excuse to not only lose unlimited numbers of games by unlimited margins without any accountability but also to feel sorry for themselves in the process and think they were victims deserving sympathy. The rot that had already begun metastised under the cover of the Covid and injuries excuses. And here we are.

What some younger posters on here with no experience of managing groups of people didn't appreciate at the time is that when you let an attitudinal rot like that set in amongst a group of people it is very, very hard to get out. Some of us were pointing it out that the lack of effort that was very apparent had nothing to do with Covid or injuries. And the longer you ignore it the worse it will get and the more messy it will be to try and clean it up and stamp it out.

The other thing that older posters know from life experience if that when this happens and an organisation gets into this situation, it is almost impossible to fix under the people/management who allowed the problem to flourish in the first place. You need fresh voices and leadership. You need people with no baggage. No pride or ego to defend because they were part of the group who made the decisions that led to this.

We were the best side and we absolutely demolished Richmond when we played them in the season. We would have beaten them in a grand final. If not for poor kicking, we could have beaten Collingwood by 5 goals and probably would have done the same to the Tigers.

Well we will never know, we won and thats all that matters.

IMO you will get that change when you get a new coach. I don't want that change for the last 8 weeks of the season. I think the players at North etc can get used to the "Uh oh new coach...better straighten up a fly right" and therefore the change starts to not bring that natural improvement you get if you waste it on a caretaker in the short term for a slight hit and lower draft pick that could happen due to it if you snag another win or 2.
I like that we let Worsfold coach out until the end despite the last 6 or so games of the season being just as shit as we are seeing now. I would like them to at the very least let Simpson limp to the finish line in this season and then get that natural improvement with change starting pre-season and generate that momentum into a new season.

He will coach out the year as you say, we always prefer to look good than simply get down to business.

I read somewhere that Dean Cox is basically locked in to succeed John Longmire once he calls it quits. So, I think that rules him out.

I honestly cannot take Big C seriously. He is a bit of a clown.

Being groomed to be the next Swans coach, clown or not he is very highly rated at the best team in the comp.

I read somewhere that Dean Cox is basically locked in to succeed John Longmire once he calls it quits. So, I think that rules him out.

True which is why we need to make some moves.

Nope I can't have that mate. Simmo was the coach and he gets the credit. Thats how it has to be. And really what do you think Sami Mitchell did? We won the flag because Collingwood beat Richmond in the preliminary final. we were not the best side that year.
I expect that nonsense from Tigers fans. We smacked Richmond at home in 2018, ran them close at the MCG in 2019 when we were not as good. Could Richmond have beaten us in the grand final? Maybe, maybe not, but they couldn’t even get there anyway. We were the best team in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll have to weigh up how long he'll be sitting behind Horse waiting for him to retire because it's highly unlikely he'll do it when they are competing for flags. Head coaching gigs don't always come up and when they do, there's a dozen or so people competing for the role.

People also said there was no chance West Coast would get Daisy to be the AFLW coach, and yet we did.

That being said, I want the best coach available, and someone who can be a leader of men. If that's Cox, then great. If not, then find someone else who is.

The worst part of all this is that those of us with any credibility could see that he was completely cooked last year, but all the Simpson apologists and fan boys banded together, and made sure he was around for another year.
Our players, club, staff and supporters have had to endure another disgraceful year in WC’s proud history.
Give yourselves a warm round of applause those of you have relentlessly backed him in to the detriment of everyone. Congratulations!

He'll have to weigh up how long he'll be sitting behind Horse waiting for him to retire because it's highly unlikely he'll do it when they are competing for flags. Head coaching gigs don't always come up and when they do, there's a dozen or so people competing for the role.

People also said there was no chance West Coast would get Daisy to be the AFLW coach, and yet we did.

That being said, I want the best coach available, and someone who can be a leader of men. If that's Cox, then great. If not, then find someone else who is.
There's no rush for Cox. Over the next couple of years, he'll likely have a choice between Sydney, West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, and maybe even Adelaide and St Kilda. Tassie will also come up towards the end of that window as they start preparing for their entry into the AFL.

The onus is on us to figure out who the best candidate is and get them in the door.

The worst part of all this is that those of us with any credibility
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

The worst part of all this is that those of us with any credibility could see that he was completely cooked last year, but all the Simpson apologists and fan boys banded together, and made sure he was around for another year.
Our players, club, staff and supporters have had to endure another disgraceful year in WC’s proud history.
Give yourselves a warm round of applause those of you have relentlessly backed him in to the detriment of everyone. Congratulations!
Compared to the previous two years, this year has been a welcome improvement.

Liam Duggan wondering why did it happen m, even after coach speech after game shows that no one knows what’s going on or players simply not good enough to execute.

Simpson saying we have to own it is not good enough. What does that mean? Do players even know how to own it? I can go around saying “I own it” but if I don’t feel it, means shit.

And also, when it comes to owning it, what does NOT OWNING it look like?

Enough meaningless crap. Odds are we aren’t winning another game. Reid can’t handle a tag and can’t handle players needling him to throw him off his game. So that Reid exceptionalism is likely to be offline for rest of season whilst he adapts to all that and stops reacting (or playing for free kicks).

That’s 100% correct about Reid not being able to handle opposition players trying to throw him off his game.

He even comes off a little disrespectful in the way he engages with players who command / deserve / have earned that in-field respect from most of the competition.

Sure, it’s been entertaining at times…but Harley needs to focus on the ball. At all times.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

First question our new coach needs to ask the group;

‘Why do so many of you boys choose to continuously actively ignore Ryan Maric when he is free when openly leading for the ball?’

Based on the Hawks game alone, it would appear Maric is not liked or respected by a few of the slightly more experienced players.

Kick it to free and open Maric?

Nah, let’s kick it to a contest and allow the ball to turn over, again.

That needs to be fixed, asap.

‘Why do so many of you boys choose to continuously actively ignore Ryan Maric when he is free when openly leading for the ball?’

Based on the Hawks game alone, it would appear Maric is not liked or respected by a few of the slightly more experienced players.

There's a simple answer to that: They don't actually look when they kick the ball.

I'm happy that we let Pyke settle in before going to look for a new coach. Simmo has proven he's past it now that he's failing with a fit list. Makes it pretty straightforward to move him on and the industry should be understanding. Sacking him last year would have been pretty chaotic, as we would be trying to find a new coach with management that hadn't even started properly.

It's not limited to Maric they don't look for any creative option and just kick long to a contest.

Simmo has said a few times that they haven't been training ball movement because they want to focus on other fundamentals - I've always found that strange because I feel like ball movement is a pretty important fundamental.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back