Game Day Adelaide Crows SANFL Vs Richmond Tigers VFL

When will Dowling get subbed off?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When Dowling took that mark with 3 mins left you could see his eyes were spinning and he rushed it. Where were the senior players telling him to take a breath and compose himself?

Exactly.

We’ve got a leadership group of hundreds, most of whom play forward and nobody can give a debutant a word of encouragement?

It’s like an incident earlier when at a repeat stoppage Berry got driven into the ground and the umpire whistled. Two Richmond players picked Nankervis up, while Berry had to climb back to his feet by himself. There are two many players who aren’t playing team football.

Our list isn't good enough to win a premiership, certainly.

However, it's a hell of a lot better than the garbage we're putting on the park at the moment.
It's absolutely good enough to at least be making finals. David King loves Nicks as a coach and Dunstall oversaw the review which led to us hiring Nicks as coach, both aren't looking at this objectively.

As a comparison, we have Port covered in the forward and back half quite comfortably in terms of talent, while they have the clear edge in the midfield; that's still been enough for them to sit top 4 most of the season as we languish in the bottom 4. Dawson, Soligo and Rankine as the main midfield trio for us is far better than we've had for a few years too.

Absolutely butchering the final years for Tex and it's sad to see him have to likely go out with the club in absolute shambles.

Over the last 4 years we have recruited
Dawson
Rankine
RT
Pedlar
Rachele
Soligo
Nankervis
Murray
Keane
Hinge
MM
Curtin
Dowling
Taylor
Cook
Schoenberg
Fog recruited at end of 2017 but clearly is also part of our future

There's good enough talent here to be at least pushing finals on a regular basis now and continue to fill remaining gaps to become a flag contender. There is absolutely no excuse to be sitting bottom 4 at the midway point of year 5 under Nicks, absolutely none.

Some top picks used on average players through the years

Fisher McCasey: Pick 6 (quit)
Chayce Jones: Pick 9 (spud)
Ned McHenry: Pick 16 (spud)
Jordan Galluchi: Pick 15 (delisted)
Luke Pedlar: pick 11 (maybe)
Wayne Milera: Pick 11 (meh)
From the McAsey retirement we got Nick Murray for nothing. While we missed Serong, at least we made up for it by drafting Soligo a couple of years later.

Gallucci was from a far different time when we were actually contending, not going to lump that one into the conversation.

Pedlar needs to get his body right, still time here and clearly has the talent. Milera has been decent but his body continually breaks down unfortunately, I don't think this was a bad pick.

Chayce and Ned, well yeah, not great.

Our players don't improve after drafting. They all get worse.

No we probably haven't picked the best players, but the fact nobody develops into better players (Rachele and Thilthorpe being prime examples) isn't a drafting thing.
To be fair to Thilthorpe he’s showed a bit for a young key position player and injuries this year hasn’t helped his cause. Rachele is over rated in my opinion but again, very early on for him. But he’s not a genuine midfielder which is what we needed to draft

To be fair to Thilthorpe he’s showed a bit for a young key position player and injuries this year hasn’t helped his cause. Rachele is over rated in my opinion but again, very early on for him. But he’s not a genuine midfielder which is what we needed to draft
Hasn't been many decent genuine mids come out of that draft after our pick (maybe NWM who was 2nd on our list).

Probably why we went at JHF. No F/S we might've got him or Daicos.

This will get me banned I know… I dislike Richmond being a big rival of ours…. But I have seen very few games where the umpires have been so biased as tonight. Looked up the umpires and 2 of 3 are from S.A.
Wow.
Only in Adelaide this happens. 😂
Did you read the analysis a guy did last year with regard to the supposed bias in umpiring.

-When Vic teams play a non-vic team at the non-vic teams home ground the home teams gets 57% of the decisions in their favor.

-When a Vic teams plays a non-vic team in melb or Geel the home team gets 77% of the decisions in their favor.

Yep, bloody cheating south australians.

Gotta say I'm not a Hamish hater like a lot on here ...

We seem to be terrible and helping players take the next step in their development.

If you wanna see something horrible - watch the Micd up videos of Nicks, holy toledo.

Imagine being Rankine / Soligo / Rachele / Dawson / Michalanney / Worrel / Curtin and knowing that your coaches are unable to help you improve to absolute top shelf. Looking at other club's coaching line-up and seeing the possibilities.

I'm yet to see a stat that proves that an individual recruiter is the reason for the great players a club end up with.

Could be wrong, but I think the club has bigger issues to address than Hamish.

No doubt.

But here’s the thing… it’s entirely possible for recruitment to be below par and for development to suck too

Only Marty level window lickers think it’s all recruitment, when it’s plainly not. We’ve selected a bunch of players roughly where they were expected to go - then we seem to have blown some and not; when we have a decent player we set the development-o-meter ray to reverse

It's absolutely good enough to at least be making finals. David King loves Nicks as a coach and Dunstall oversaw the review which led to us hiring Nicks as coach, both aren't looking at this objectively.

Sorry what? They’re not looking objectively but you are????

David King has been plenty critical and Dunstall (and Pavlich) had nothing to do with Nicks appointment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if you don’t understand the word “evidence”
Both your positions are without hard evidence.

It’s literally impossible to know if player x would be a better player if they’d spent y years developing elsewhere instead of at Adelaide, because that can never ever happen.

The best indicator is seeing how players who leave for other clubs go (and vice versa). We haven’t had any leave and go to great heights at their new clubs in the last few years (I think?).

Rankine and Dawson have improved since coming here recently, Hately didn’t.

The trouble is we may be recruiting the so E if right players, but not utilising/developing them correctly. Something seems off behind closed doors. Prime example is Milera. Aside from the injuries, he has never lived up to his full potential.

It’s literally impossible to know if player x would be a better player if they’d spent y years developing elsewhere instead of at Adelaide, because that can never ever happen.

The best indicator is seeing how players who leave for other clubs go (and vice versa). We haven’t had any leave and go to great heights at their new clubs in the last few years (I think?).

No, this is just another silly, reductive misunderstanding of concept.

You’ve not grasped the principle that development is the realm of coaching; they take what they given. Recruitment is the seed, the potential.

Both play a part, and the EVIDENCE is the cumulative weight of outcomes.

It is impossible for a recruitment team to get it all wrong or all right - and it is impossible for a development function to fail to make any high end talent better

Only a swivel eyed loon would claim that a players failure to develop is all down to the wrong player being picked - particularly when so many players were highly rated and went where expected. That’s just not a serious opinion from serious people

Equally, some players just have it and the worst development and coaching can’t hold them back.

The burden for the recruitment team is how few wins, relative to their competitors, they can point to.

Given the higher than usual level of highly rated players, taken around consensus, that have fallen flat here it’s undeniable that our development is miles off the pace

It’s also possible to believe that, and also note the lack of recruitment wins en masse over time indicate that our recruitment isn’t what it needs to be and should change

The odds say that better quality inputs are being fed into the kitchen than our development chefs are turning out

200w-35.gif

Moonwatcher

6 No sexually suggestive content, swearing, bikini and lingerie images, racist material, gore and injuries etc.
  • We have readers from all walks of life, accessing the site from home and work. Be considerate.
  • Don't quote posts with this content in it. You are just making it worse. Report the content using the REPORT button.
  • We also have advertisers who apply rules about where their ads can be displayed. More details of forbidden content can be found here.
Just got a bikini babes on the beach video ad.

Get back to us when you have worked out what development means in the context of AFL players, because it is obvious that you aren't there yet if you're offering this up.

BRB I'm going to use Wayne Carey as an example for our poor development of players.

Get back to us when you have worked out what development means in the context of AFL players, because it is obvious that you aren't there yet if you're offering this up.

BRB I'm going to use Wayne Carey as an example for our poor development of players.
Neither Rankine or Dawson came here as mids.

They developed into mids here.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

After having 4 days to place the appropriate heads on pikes as the feintest glimmer of hope I thought that was the best we've seen Butts play for quite a long time.

Also thought in a kind of weird way Borlase looked kind of good in front of the ball. Presented well and always made a contest. In that respect he could have a career like Himmelberg's in only plays 0-10 a season but can provide passing to adequate relief up forward and down back (and didn't event hate what he did around the ground in the ruck).

Keane's handball to himself was also joyous.

Back