Adelaide free to participate in draft..

Remove this Banner Ad

They lose Tippett for nothing, that is their 'penalty'. That is MORE than enough. Lets be honest in an open market Tippett commands a top 5 pick. They lose him for zero.
Ridiculous. Tippet was going anyway and he was worth pick 22 and white. Plus it gave them extra cap space to resign dangerfield. Should the afl get rid of him too?

I'd be disappointed if I was crows fan, since losing draft picks looks inevitable you'd want to lose them in a year where your first pick is in the 20's.

Agreed. Adelaide only planned to take a single player in this draft so it's not like a win to delay this unless the club thinks it can achieve a better outcome than losing it's first round pick next year.

Agreed. Adelaide only planned to take a single player in this draft so it's not like a win to delay this unless the club thinks it can achieve a better outcome than losing it's first round pick next year.

I thought clubs were required to take a minimum of three players at the draft?

I'd be disappointed if I was crows fan, since losing draft picks looks inevitable you'd want to lose them in a year where your first pick is in the 20's.
Exactly.

The Crows will get their justice and it will be served upon them in heaps.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are right to be angry at cheaters.
Haha, cheaters?

I guess even if someone is innocent in a murder, but is questioned heavily and so the public think they did it, they are all of a sudden murderers regardless of innocence? Hasn't this type of scenario just occurred during a case in Melbourne currently going?

Probably should wait until the case is heard and the public knows exactly what has gone down before labeling the club cheaters.

Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people couldn't give a **** about the actual commission hearing and will continue to slag the club based off reports by the media. Aren't the media always wrong in Port's case, why the sudden change of tune now it is the Crows?:rolleyes:

Perfectly reasonable, the Crows have not been found guilty of anything, yet, and have asked for an extension to prepare their cases. The AFL can't change the date of the draft anymore than they can punish the Crows before they have had the chance to present their case.

This post may have been different if Adelaide had won the prelim. ;)

Geez people are sooks.

I'm not sure how this is any better for the Crows

First and foremost no party has been found guilty yet. Harper in particular has only had a few days to orgainse representation and to know his charge. You can't exactly punish any party without guilt - and by the sounds of it all parties are challenging.

Now onto why this is potentially worse for the Crows - let's say the charges are upheld and the penalty is to be removed from the ND completely.

That would mean they lose picks 20, 54 and 64 this year. Considering they have already traded out some picks for a player - it would be less of a penalty, as well as having finished 3rd in a draft still compromised by numerous 1st round compensation picks.

Now consider they finish 6th next year - they'll potentially lose picks 13, 31 & 49

Tell me which is worse for Adelaide?

Don't know that Adelaide are really escaping penalty as people are saying. The key is the fact that the Club, Trigg and Reid are all getting seperate representation. If it is a tactic to stall, then not much of an issue.

But if they have actually decided on seperate representation then it's because they are now disagreeing, and then some stuff could really come out and is definitely not a good thing for the club.

With Carlton's infractions, draft picks were an acceptable penalty as they were struggling at the time. But with Adelaide, although still very severe, they won't stop them from short term success. If the AFL find them guilty expect Premiership point penalties, as the AFL will not want a club found guilty of cheating playing in finals/grand finals.

The postponement is good news for AFC, gives us time to mount a proper defence (and keep our picks in this year's draft).

A penalty for next year's draft may or may not happen, less likely to happen now there are lawyers involved to keep the AFL accountable for its processes, verdict and penalties.

You are all going to be disappointed when it turns out this is a storm in a tea-cup, fuelled by media stories leaked (by AFL or Tippett camp) to CW and EQ.

You don't know the FACTS, and you don't know our DEFENCE.

Sensible people will be reserving judgement.

I wouldn't blame this administration solely for the allowance given to the Crows to go in the draft. The Oakley administration turned a blind eye to Carlton and Essendon's cheating to win 1993 and 1995 respectively and it wasn't until the Jackson era that the whopper punishment was handed out. Hopefully Adrian is using his good lawyer skills to allow natural justice to take place before implementing a penalty that could have ramifications for the AFL if found to be unmerited.

Carlton were not over the cap in 1995. As much as you offended Cats fans like to repeatedly say, there was no finding of us cheating in a premiership year. Essendon, on the other hand....

Allowing Adelaide to take part in the draft is an absolute disgrace if they are found guilty of salary cap cheating. We were nearly destroyed and sanctioned when we were on our knees. Adelaide is in the premiership hunt yet the AFL are already mitigating any possible penalty they receive.

The AFL is making things up as they please. Bunch of clowns.

Oh, ok then.
The adjournment is some ways pointless because, unlike Melbourne, they have gone to the AFL and said punish us we are guilty of paying Tippett under a secret agreement.

The question is therefore over penalty not guilt. Adelaide presumably will try to say naughty Trigg etc but this would not have absolved them from a penalty.

The penalty would, it seems have been harsh, a 6 figure fine and stripping of draft picks but Adelaide didn't have great draft picks to begin with.

Maybe they wanted to ensure that Callinan and Crouch got added to their list this year before taking a whack next year but all that would do is having Adelaide take the rope that the AFL is giving them and the AFL hanging them with that same rope.

The request for an adjournment seems to be a pointless delaying of the inevitable.

With the news of at least one additional similar case just coming out, it's not unreasonable to wait for everything to be on the table before handing down their punishment, just is happening with Melbourne.

It sucks they (both) get through this draft unpunished, but better to take time and do it right.

I'm thinking that perhaps it's been discovered the well runs deeper than Tippett and the AFL wants to investigate further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide free to participate in draft..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back