Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Please explain to me how my post has ANYTHING to do with cricket members getting into footy games at Adelaide Oval?
That's the kind of posting that makes me angry.
All I was saying is that it's a SPORTS VENUE that mainly will host cricket in summer and footy in winter.
Don't quote my post about that and use it as a blasting-point for the first-world injustices affecting your life.

YOU hittadapost wanted to build a bridge, did you see a chasm ?

Perhaps you just dont like cricket being called to account, called for needing to weasel in on the bums on seats that footy gets, that cricket got in the 1930s ... freeloading on AFL is an artform for vested interests posta !!

YOU hittadapost wanted to build a bridge, did you see a chasm ?

Perhaps you just dont like cricket being called to account, called for needing to weasel in on the bums on seats that footy gets, that cricket got in the 1930s ... freeloading on AFL is an artform for vested interests posta !!
All I was saying was we can debate for ages and pages about if its a footy ground or a cricket ground or is it a stadium or a park or a ground or whatver...but for all the debate it's gonna make no difference at all as to the fact that we're on the way to getting a great new venue for sport in Adelaide.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/149829/default.aspx

Screen.jpg

Northern.jpg

Screen-back.jpg

Southern.jpg

AO_captions(1).jpg

Got to work in the scoreboard once. It was the best day ever with Les Burdett coming up to the scoreboard to have a chat with us :)

Yep, In year 10 I did work experience at the SACA administration office and Oval grounds crew and was lucky enough to arrange it for the week of the Test Match. One day was working the scoreboard. It gets bloody hot in there and walking up and down the 4 levels of steps makes it a very long day.

Fun yes but very hard work being the lackey school kid.

Yep, In year 10 I did work experience at the SACA administration office and Oval grounds crew and was lucky enough to arrange it for the week of the Test Match. One day was working the scoreboard. It gets bloody hot in there and walking up and down the 4 levels of steps makes it a very long day.

Fun yes but very hard work being the lackey school kid.
Yes very hard work especially at the change of innings. I was lucky enough to get to go for a walk through the change rooms as well(of the old stands).
I was pretty lucky the that the day I did worked in there it wasnt too hot but I can imagine how hot it would get.

Are they going to upgrade the video screen quality at the northern end? When you compare the screen quality of that one to the new AAMI Stadium southern end screen there's a notable difference.

Here we go
How I'd use the AO Scoreboard for an AFL Game:
afln.png

The match time and the clock would be on the replay screen
And I'd have a MCG-style scoreboard on the front of the southern end of the Western stand too, with a replay screen right next to that also.
Very basic...the actual match at the ground down the "Bowlers" section, and the other AFL matches going on being updated regularly down the "Batsmen" section.
I've invested in some white inserts to complement the black ones they use in the cricket, and some yellow ones, to help differentiate between the cricket stuff and anything else.

I know it's unlikely we'll see Round 1 of the NAB Cup at AO, but anyway:
nabweek1.png

Obviously, this is at the end of the 3rd game...each game is scored out in full while it's being played, then moved down.
For a normal game of NAB Cup, also would work for International rules and rugby codes ([Goals, Overs, Behinds, Points] or [Tries, Conversions, Field Goals, Penalties, Points...just add another row]):
nabnormal.png

"Scores Correct" only generally used in Aussie Rules far as I can tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most fun was the "Super Over" for a drawn T20 match:
superover.png

Basically when each team nominates their bowler and 3 batsmen you put their names in
Team totals for the over go where the "not out" batsmen normally go
As fielders are involved (taking catches/run outs) their name gets added on the "bowlers" list so their number can be used for how the batsmen got out...so as normal you can read that Klinger was caught by Thornely off Lee for 2...but it was 1/2 not 2/2 as the scoreboard technically says.
Probably a bit complex but I was proud that I could cram it all on there :p

The most fun was the "Super Over" for a drawn T20 match:
superover.png

Basically when each team nominates their bowler and 3 batsmen you put their names in
Team totals for the over go where the "not out" batsmen normally go
As fielders are involved (taking catches/run outs) their name gets added on the "bowlers" list so their number can be used for how the batsmen got out...so as normal you can read that Klinger was caught by Thornely off Lee for 2...but it was 1/2 not 2/2 as the scoreboard technically says.
Probably a bit complex but I was proud that I could cram it all on there :p
Would they have enough time to get that up between the end of the 2nd innings and the start of the super over?

Would they have enough time to get that up between the end of the 2nd innings and the start of the super over?
Well I dunno.
Only time I remember a SO at AO was an U18s T20 the other year before a Redbacks T20 game
and they just put the team names in the Batsmen spot on the left like I've done, but didn't do all the extra details.
But all the names would be ready, they'd just need to move them. Still, unlikely there'd be time.
Get the broadcasters to demand more ads between the last over of the match and the SO :p

Oh the other thing I wanted to point out about my use of the scoreboard...like with cricket games, and they haven't done this for other sports at AO before, the teams' nicknames (Crows, Power, Reds, Sharks or whatever) go on the top like Redbacks or Strikers, then when used in the actual scoreboard the actual names are used (Adelaide, Port Adel., Adelaide United, Cronulla) like South Australia or Adelaide. I like how they've done that and miss it when they don't for footy etc.

I strongly agree with this. Although like many others are saying, ultimate memberships should be scrapped altogether. If it wasn't of football being played at the MCG, Cricket Victoria would probably be bankrupt. Right now the SACA is in millions of debt and how do they plan to get out of this debt? Yep, through football games.

Wrong to compare CricVic at the MCG & SACA at Adelaide Oval, the MCC manage the G. Its why CricVic prefer the Junction Oval.

And only in Adelaide.
Not that the concept is any different, but Adelaide seems to be the only place where they put it on the scoreboard.

Well there you go :)
I've only ever seen Aussie Rules in Adelaide and I know it goes on the "main scoreboard" (above the Crows' entrance) at AAMI Stadium once the Goal Umpires confirm the scores. Also seen similar to how I've done it at AO during SANFL matches there. It's entirely optional :)

And only in Adelaide.

Not that the concept is any different, but Adelaide seems to be the only place where they put it on the scoreboard.

I've seen it on a couple of the old VFL scoreboards as well. The MCG (pre-redevelopment) and early Docklands days used to indicate 'scores correct' by changing the colour of the scores on the scoreboard from white to yellow.

I've never seen it on suburban SANFL ground scoreboards either - normally the scoreboard attendant simply waves to the goal umpires to confirm they've acknowledged the confirmation from the goal umpires.

I've seen it on a couple of the old VFL scoreboards as well. The MCG (pre-redevelopment) and early Docklands days used to indicate 'scores correct' by changing the colour of the scores on the scoreboard from white to yellow.

I've never seen it on suburban SANFL ground scoreboards either - normally the scoreboard attendant simply waves to the goal umpires to confirm they've acknowledged the confirmation from the goal umpires.

i think its probably become totally irrelevant. Who do the in-house video get their scores from? they probably have someone do it in house, but they'd also have an official AFL XML feed of the stats from champion data with the scores, as well as an eye on the TV coverage.

it isn't just a couple of 12y olds in an old thing putting up metal plates on hooks any more.

i think its probably become totally irrelevant. Who do the in-house video get their scores from? they probably have someone do it in house, but they'd also have an official AFL XML feed of the stats from champion data with the scores, as well as an eye on the TV coverage.

it isn't just a couple of 12y olds in an old thing putting up metal plates on hooks any more.
That's all true, but consider this situation:
A few years ago at the SCG (this is probably mid-2000's, so decent technology going around), the ball was rushed over the behind line, Goal Umpire goes through the motions but never gets the "All-Clear" from the Field Umpire, thus he is unable to signal the score. Play went on and the GU didn't chase the FU like he should have (got sacked for this too, from memory). Score didn't count coz it was never actually awarded by the GU. High chance the TV station could have added that score to their card. Champion Data would have got it right. So say the scoreboard operator saw the ball go through and added it on.

At Adelaide Oval I've seen it happen that they've wound a number a little too far so it read 5 instead of 4...technically score not correct and the Goal Umpires went and asked the operators to fix before they waved it correct.

So, possibly redundant but I like the "official confirmation" that it gives to the audience.

At Adelaide Oval I've seen it happen that they've wound a number a little too far so it read 5 instead of 4...technically score not correct and the Goal Umpires went and asked the operators to fix before they waved it correct.

You'd be surprised how often that happens at Adelaide Oval compared to other grounds.

Well seeing that the Redbacks are shit, I can't see them hosting the final anytime soon (Wrinkles might not even be around by the time we host it next). Surely the AFL could be flexible in scheduling and book the NAB Cup at Adelaide Oval and if remarkably the Redbacks are host, just schedule the match at AAMI?

A Crows pre-season game would outdraw a Sheffield Shield final (perhaps not over 5 days). And that is certainly worth the stadium's administrators taking into consideration.

With the AFL intent on starting its real season permanently earlier I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide Oval never hosts another Sheffield Shield final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back