Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A Crows pre-season game would outdraw a Sheffield Shield final (perhaps not over 5 days). And that is certainly worth the stadium's administrators taking into consideration.

With the AFL intent on starting its real season permanently earlier I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide Oval never hosts another Sheffield Shield final.
I can't wait to hear the outrage from all the 70 year old SACA members if that ends up being the case.

You'd be surprised how often that happens at Adelaide Oval compared to other grounds.
Happened ANZAC Day last year, in the Reserves, and the umpires ended up running off without waving it coz they couldn't get the attention of the operators.
Notice it didn't happen at all the day Port and Melbourne played an AFL game there tho :p

A Crows pre-season game would outdraw a Sheffield Shield final (perhaps not over 5 days). And that is certainly worth the stadium's administrators taking into consideration.

With the AFL intent on starting its real season permanently earlier I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide Oval never hosts another Sheffield Shield final.

And I'm sure they could find some events (e.g. concerts, Socceroos WCQ) between March and September that would outdraw an AFL match, particularly a Port game - happy for the AFL to be moved for that weekend since it's all about getting the most people at the Oval?

And I'm sure they could find some events (e.g. concerts, Socceroos WCQ) between March and September that would outdraw an AFL match, particularly a Port game - happy for the AFL to be moved for that weekend since it's all about getting the most people at the Oval?

Both of those things, and for them to outdraw an afl game as well would be incredibly rare. However the AFL would consistantly crush crowds even in the grand final of sheffield shield. Difference circumstances.

I hope the AFL season starts earlier, if people wanted the sheffield field final at adelaide oval they should of bloody turned up to the game... A longer AFL season would be great

If the concert goes for five days then that would be an issue.

Why would an AFL match be moved for a Socceroos game when they can just schedule it for another day on the same weekend? Unless the FFA wants to try and compete against a Port game like they did two years ago with the Socceroos v New Zealand match which was on the same time as Port v Carlton at AAMI. About 2k more went to the Port game for the record. Also, a concert doesn't necessarily have to be on a weekend either, i.e. Foo Fighters in Adelaide last year. The point is concerts and other big sporting events can easily avoid clashes with football games at AO as the AFL dates are set months in advance.

A vast majority of concerts in Adelaide wouldn't fall on a weekend. Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane are the preferred weekend slots. Non issue there, at least.

A vast majority of concerts in Adelaide wouldn't fall on a weekend. Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane are the preferred weekend slots. Non issue there, at least.

The concert example was just that, an example. I was trying to show that if you take the view that NAB Cup should trump a Sheffield Shield final for use of the Oval on the basis that more people will attend, then you have to be consistent if a scenario arrived during the football season where AFL wasn't the biggest thing in town - I don't think football fans will accept that, but they expect SACA members to. I take the alternative view that the Oval will be the home of both SA cricket and football so a showpiece for the SACA should take precedence over a mickey-mouse Cup game.

I hope that the football and cricket factions within the SMA are a little more accommodating of each other than some people (almost entirely from the football side) are in this thread. Port fans in particular should show a little more gratitude to the SACA members who voted for the Oval redevelopment - without that vote this financial salvation for their club wouldn't have happened.

So 800 bucks for 12 crows games, a few days of the test and a 1 dayer or 2.

At the moment this costs me 300 for saca, 230 for AFC (+ gold on top), 25 bucks for away port game. So about 560. And I have 2 crows gold memberships at the moment.

When you add gold membership on top (and lose your second crows membership in this case), I still can't see the value personally. Hopefully the paperwork arrives tomorrow to peruse.

So 800 bucks for 12 crows games, a few days of the test and a 1 dayer or 2.
No. Incorrect.
$800 for all AFL minor round, all SANFL including finals, Tests, ODIs, T20Is, First-Class, One-Day Domestic and T20 Domestic.
What you're going to use it for vs what it's actually giving you makes a big difference in value.

No. Incorrect.
$800 for all AFL minor round, all SANFL including finals, Tests, ODIs, T20Is, First-Class, One-Day Domestic and T20 Domestic.
What you're going to use it for vs what it's actually giving you makes a big difference in value.

no, i was comparing what i see now and what i pay now, vs what i will see and pay with SMA AOUM. it was a personal evaluation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no, i was comparing what i see now and what i pay now, vs what i will see and pay with SMA AOUM. it was a personal evaluation.
Ok no worries, sounded like that's what you thought it offered to you
Don't want the wrong ideas getting out haha

Don't want it, don't get it - simple as that.

I will be sticking to the Essential Crows Membership because the Ultimate Membership IMO is a big waste of money

Don't want it, don't get it - simple as that.

I will be sticking to the Essential Crows Membership because the Ultimate Membership IMO is a big waste of money

damn straight. no finals admission included just sealed the deal.

and i like how they brushed over the "extra events"... you get first chance to spend more money not included in your membership to concerts, rugby and soccer games! ha

damn straight. no finals admission included just sealed the deal.

and i like how they brushed over the "extra events"... you get first chance to spend more money not included in your membership to concerts, rugby and soccer games! ha
Well it IS a membership of a group run by footy and cricket, unlike what it's been compared to (Etihad's Medallion Club), which is separately owned for the now.

Can't believe we are spending over 500 million on a stadium that just has three stands and a 100 year old scoreboard. We really should be building a stadium like Etihad and putting the scoreboard in our museum, or even creating our very own SA sporting museum as we've been lucky enough to see so many great sporting moments.

But why? AO has a carpet of a playing surface, high-rated pitches, a city location, etc etc
Why would we swap that for a concrete bowl with a roof, and a plethora of problems including the need to artificially grow the grass. Sports played on grass (which grows outdoors) are meant to be played outdoors.
Adelaide's weather doesn't warrant a roofed stadium. If you're too soft to sit through a warm day of cricket or a cold game of footy, you won't want to sit at Etihad either, it's pretty warm in there in summer with the roof shut (it's just a giant heat catcher) and it's pretty frigid with the wind whistling round the seats in winter (sure you don't get wet but that's what winter sport is sometimes about).

And the scoreboard. Nothing wrong with that scoreboard at all. IMO for footy it shows as much info as anywhere else. The replay screens show all the extra stuff and the scoreboard shows the scores. For cricket it shows as much as the WACA (Bellerive's electronic big one is ok), and more than the MCG where you have to wait for the operator to show it on the scoreboard or screen to tell you what Ponting got out for 5 wickets ago.

Why would we want to build a total concrete colosseum? Separate stands and a hill keeps it open, stops it becoming so. Doesn't make it any less world-class. Makes it more so in ways as it retains some heritage aspects which don't affect the quality of the experience, whilst bringing sporting stadia in Adelaide to today's levels.

And the AdelaideNow posters are starting to invade BigFooty :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of the tree hugging traditionalists that live here.

The decision not to build the double-sided grandstand for Clipsal and Victoria Park racecourse kept us well and truly in the dark ages. Now we have a really big paddock... to go with the other 20 paddocks around the CBD.

But why? AO has a carpet of a playing surface, high-rated pitches, a city location, etc etc
Why would we swap that for a concrete bowl with a roof, and a plethora of problems including the need to artificially grow the grass. Sports played on grass (which grows outdoors) are meant to be played outdoors.
Adelaide's weather doesn't warrant a roofed stadium. If you're too soft to sit through a warm day of cricket or a cold game of footy, you won't want to sit at Etihad either, it's pretty warm in there in summer with the roof shut (it's just a giant heat catcher) and it's pretty frigid with the wind whistling round the seats in winter (sure you don't get wet but that's what winter sport is sometimes about).

And the scoreboard. Nothing wrong with that scoreboard at all. IMO for footy it shows as much info as anywhere else. The replay screens show all the extra stuff and the scoreboard shows the scores. For cricket it shows as much as the WACA (Bellerive's electronic big one is ok), and more than the MCG where you have to wait for the operator to show it on the scoreboard or screen to tell you what Ponting got out for 5 wickets ago.

Why would we want to build a total concrete colosseum? Separate stands and a hill keeps it open, stops it becoming so. Doesn't make it any less world-class. Makes it more so in ways as it retains some heritage aspects which don't affect the quality of the experience, whilst bringing sporting stadia in Adelaide to today's levels.

I agree that AO has a carpet like surface, but is it really a big deal if we had a substandard surface for a few years. I like the Adelaide Oval the way it was and believe it should of been kept as it was for cricket (great surface, good capacity close to 40k). But building a new stadium around the CBD was Adelaide's chance to join the 21st century, you can't tell me that this stadium is world class, to be world class it has be to all seater, well designed with a capacity >60.

We'd want to build a total concrete Colosseum because it keeps the atmosphere inside the ground. It's an amazing buzz to watch a game at a packed Etihad because of this, the new AO will also lose this atmospehere. We never had good atmosphere at AAMI and now we won't have any at AO.

Can't believe we are spending over 500 million on a stadium that just has three stands and a 100 year old scoreboard. We really should be building a stadium like Etihad and putting the scoreboard in our museum, or even creating our very own SA sporting museum as we've been lucky enough to see so many great sporting moments.

REALLY? the design is quite spectacular and is also ultra modern. stadiums do not have to be nondescript boxes any more. Braga stadium would never have been built if stadiums could have no life. It only has 2 stands, not at all connected, one end is open, the other a rock wall. considered a masterpiece of stadium design. AO will have character, it won't be anodyne. it doesn't need to be the MCG, the MCG is like that because it needs to hold 100k, AO will be fine at 55k and the architects can leave an end open, disconnect the stands etc.

the old scoreboard is there, that end is left open. easier not to move it both physically and from a legal pov. probably only half the ground will be able to see it anyway, those in the western stand and maybe half the southern stand and it is unlikely to be used during AFL games. and it ties the new AO to the old. there will also be 3 (that's right 3) large video screens, not to mention the 4 billions or so LCDs that will be in every nook and cranny. So it's not as if they are just completely ignoring modern tech and leaving you with nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back