Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon you'll really get to watch the play unfold from the Riverbank Stand too. Mark on the goal line at the other end you'll have a great view from that height, even if you are a bit of a distance away.

Nothing is available to SACA Members in footy season. Unless they also have a Crows/Power/AO/SANFL/AFL membership, or whatever membership gets you into the Bradman Pavilion.
SACA get one tiny bay where the red seats are in the western stand. Not the top level of red seats, the ground level.

SACA get one tiny bay where the red seats are in the western stand. Not the top level of red seats, the ground level.
Haven't heard anything at all about that? Can't imagine football giving away some of the best seats in the house to cricket.

Haven't heard anything at all about that? Can't imagine football giving away some of the best seats in the house to cricket.
SACA get the red section, really don't know why when it's meant to be "AFL time" in the year..

http://adelaideoval.com.au/130/western-stand-reserved-seating.aspx

131030-Revised-2-stand-western.gif

SACA get the red section, really don't know why when it's meant to be "AFL time" in the year..

http://adelaideoval.com.au/130/western-stand-reserved-seating.aspx

131030-Revised-2-stand-western.gif
Here we go, from the site too (I never considered getting an AO membership as my own footy and work commitments in winter make it not worth the money):
What is the SACA seating coloured in red?
The area in Bay 209 marked red on the Reserved Seating map is allocated to guests of the SACA Room on AFL match days.

I guess the SACA Committee Room will remain that at all events. Guess the SANFL and SMA would have similar rooms somewhere in the venue.

Here we go, from the site too (I never considered getting an AO membership as my own footy and work commitments in winter make it not worth the money):

I guess the SACA Committee Room will remain that at all events. Guess the SANFL and SMA would have similar rooms somewhere in the venue.
Dont both footy clubs have access to their boxes for the cricket? If so the saca having an area for the football is hardly surprising

I hope that Perth can learn from AO and work towards making drop in pitches (start stockpiling the WACA pitch soil). Even if they need to put springs under the topsoil to achieve bounce. :)

Every other test venue in the country will be an AFL ground also apart from Perth. Cannibalise the WACA soil, and make a year round mega stadium.

I have no idea about Adelaide games just Port Adelaide games.
The Adelaide Oval SMA is now in a position to advise all Members of the Western Stand Reserved Seating layout, prices and application process for the 2014 AFL Premiership Season at Adelaide Oval. Season Reserved Seat upgrades are an optional extra which can be added to your membership.
There is info further down giving prices for Season Reserved Seats for either level 2 or 3 for both Crows and Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the new look Adelaide Oval, on TV look's like one of the best designed stadiums in the country IMO.

It's one of the best (if not the best) looking stadiums in Aus imo. :thumbsu:

This is now my favourite ground in Australia, and it is going to be sensational for football. It has been my first trip to the Adelaide Oval and I picked up a SACA membership just for the Ashes but reckon I'll keep it to come back next year.

I never went to Footy park and never had any intention of going. Most of us Victorians viewed it as the least attractive interstate road trip in the country and at the bottom of any bucket list to visit, but will definitely go over for a footy game now. Although a South Australian woman I was talking to that didn't barrack for either crows or power said opposition supporters have a good chance of getting spat on, so maybe I should keep the scarf at home.

Couldn't agree more with the posts above, the way they've kept the old charm but made it a truly elite stadium is sensational. Only issue I'd have is the capacity is arguably a little bit small when the grounds finished, ideally in the long term Adelaide probably would like/need around a 65,000 capacity ground. But with the old scoreboard/grass hill I guess that would always be difficult to achieve.

It's a shame about AAMI Stadium in a way, a 51,000 capacity stadium just going to waste. My understanding is Adelaide will continue to train there, but the surrounding land and eventually the stadium itself will be sold off for development? Surely it'd be worth the SA Govt keeping it, and even transforming it into a rectangular stadium or something?

This is now my favourite ground in Australia, and it is going to be sensational for football. It has been my first trip to the Adelaide Oval and I picked up a SACA membership just for the Ashes but reckon I'll keep it to come back next year.

I never went to Footy park and never had any intention of going. Most of us Victorians viewed it as the least attractive interstate road trip in the country and at the bottom of any bucket list to visit, but will definitely go over for a footy game now. Although a South Australian woman I was talking to that didn't barrack for either crows or power said opposition supporters have a good chance of getting spat on, so maybe I should keep the scarf at home.

Urban myth IMO - she's probably never even been to AAMI. I've been to many games as a away/neutral supporter + Showdowns and never seen any trouble. You'd have to be acting like a total tool and do some serious goading to have someone spit on you.

It's a shame about AAMI Stadium in a way, a 51,000 capacity stadium just going to waste. My understanding is Adelaide will continue to train there, but the surrounding land and eventually the stadium itself will be sold off for development? Surely it'd be worth the SA Govt keeping it, and even transforming it into a rectangular stadium or something?
Problem with AAMI is its location. Rectangular sports aren't amazingly popular in Adelaide, and asking people to travel to West Lakes for an NRL match would work counter to the wish of having a reasonable crowd at the match.
The 50,000 capacity is also countered by the seating-bowl over the coliseum seating of a modern stadium. To have the view the height of say, the front row of the red seats in the western stand, at AAMI, you'd be another 5-10 rows further back. The ground doesn't meet modern stadium experience expectations and there's no cosmetic fix to a structural issue such as the seating bowl.

Problem with AAMI is its location. Rectangular sports aren't amazingly popular in Adelaide, and asking people to travel to West Lakes for an NRL match would work counter to the wish of having a reasonable crowd at the match.
The 50,000 capacity is also countered by the seating-bowl over the coliseum seating of a modern stadium. To have the view the height of say, the front row of the red seats in the western stand, at AAMI, you'd be another 5-10 rows further back. The ground doesn't meet modern stadium experience expectations and there's no cosmetic fix to a structural issue such as the seating bowl.
Yep that was my understanding of the problem with it, but surely even an ordinary rectangular stadium would be better than it just going to waste? Not being from South Australia I wouldn't know, but it seems like just playing SANFL games there is a bit of a waste

Yep that was my understanding of the problem with it, but surely even an ordinary rectangular stadium would be better than it just going to waste? Not being from South Australia I wouldn't know, but it seems like just playing SANFL games there is a bit of a waste

I think it will eventually go the way of waverly, most stands torn down, land sold off for housing etc

I can't think of anything I'd want to un-waste it with, really. Footy? No. I think it's too big for SANFL matches (Finals are just ok, still only get 6-7,000 people depending on matchups). Cricket? No way in hell. Rectangular sports? Not in current form, and if we built a rectangular stadium there the fact remains that Hindmarsh is in the fringe of the city and thus in a much better location. The only reason it was useful was because the AFL had nowhere else to go, and now they do, so it has no use except for Bon Jovi - and I'd bet if AO was already complete that wouldn't be at AAMI either.
The venue served its purpose for 30 years or so. Elite sport in SA has moved on to bigger and better things and using AAMI for anything is going backwards.

Not to have your typical South Australian whinge here, whilst I'm a massive supporter of the development and the viewing is fantastic, I spent a couple of days in the Southern stand and think there still are some design flaws. I sat on level 3 (which was really level 2) and I was particularly thinking from a Footy point of view, but getting in and out and the toilets are still a bit of an issue. Whilst I'm not sure whether this had a lot to with people not knowing where to go and not used to the venue, I can see the stampede at the end of quarters to get in and out and go to the toilets will be an issue. There are stairs at end of the stand but centrally you have to through the bar. At the end of a session at the cricket it took somewhere between 5-10 minutes to get out of the seating area of the stand. This will be a huge problem at footy games. Also the toilets on this level again seemed horribly inadequate. Does anyone agree with this?

Would really depend who they have there. For the cricket it's an enclosure. They put more people in there than actual seats and use the bar as standing room. For footy (power games at least) it's platinum seating. Each seat is assigned, so I'm guessing there won't be many more people in the area than there are seats in level 3. Also yes, would have to do with people being lost and the (lessened but still there nonetheless) bottlenecks where they're scanning you in and out of the Members area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back