Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep that was my understanding of the problem with it, but surely even an ordinary rectangular stadium would be better than it just going to waste? Not being from South Australia I wouldn't know, but it seems like just playing SANFL games there is a bit of a waste

you cant just move bits around to make a rectangle. it would require knocking down the whole thing and starting from scratch.

they have a rectangular stadium in adelaide, it they feel the need to add capacity it can be done there. significantly cheaper than starting again at AAMI or if they want to start again, somewhere that's not close to anywhere else will be a better option.

also AAMI is getting on and would need a lot of maintenance to keep it habitable, easier and cheaper to just knock it down. it's going the way of Waverely. The Crows will train there, people will live on the rest of it and everyone plays at AO.

Although a South Australian woman I was talking to that didn't barrack for either crows or power said opposition supporters have a good chance of getting spat on, so maybe I should keep the scarf at home.

Just as much chance as getting spat on at any other stadium in this country. Fallacy. Ive seen some brilliant, funny, and sometimes heated interaction between Port and opposition supporters at footy park, i've never seen or heard of anyone spitting on others. Bring your passion and banter, we love it :thumbsu:

Love how it looks.

Just on West Lakes, I reckon Westfield is eyeing it off to expand the shopping centre across the road and using the carpark!

I doubt it. Westfield just underwent a redevelopment and there hasn't been any talk of further expansion. Besides Westfield Marion and Tea Tree Plaza would surely be redeveloped before any more's done at West Lakes in the foreseeable future?

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/grandstands-will-go-in-aami-rebirth/story-e6frea6u-1226021786480

I have heard West Lake mall is going to be redeveloped within 18 months.
I've heard similar.
Some of the land is definitely being sold off for housing developments which makes sense. It's prime real estate and AAMI will barely be used now...plenty of other suburban grounds are surrounded by houses and it causes no massive issues (Unley, Glenelg etc)
As for using it for Soccer/Rugby etc Hindmarsh does the job well enough for that and it's in a better location than AAMI for public transport.

Noticed that Adelaide Oval football memberships include 40 MCG games in the AFL members. Are AFL members allowed to buy guest tickets to Adelaide Oval? I assume that SACA and MCC members can't buy guest tickets for the football.

Noticed that Adelaide Oval football memberships include 40 MCG games in the AFL members. Are AFL members allowed to buy guest tickets to Adelaide Oval? I assume that SACA and MCC members can't buy guest tickets for the football.
I think MCC has reciprocal rights there, not sure though

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Did you not see the Federal Election coverage, where Rupert compelled them to be pro-Liberal...

The Advertiser was one of only two newspapers to editorialise for Labor for 2010 election.

Only an idiot would have backed Labor for 2013 election.

It's fun to believe in conspiracies but they don't work when facts are considered. The Australian backed Rudd in 2007. It's only when the world discovered how unhinged he was that The Australian backed off him.

The Advertiser is a wind sock, and goes which way the electorate goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people want to use the term crowval let them use it. It's more creative than 'Port Adelaide Oval'.

Haha the Crows actually use it on their Facebook page. Can you believe that? There's creative and then there's tacky. Both 'Adelaide Crowval' and 'Port Adelaide Oval' colloquialisms are shithouse.

This whole 'it's my Oval', 'no it's mine!' crap is stupid. It's South Australia's Oval.

So.

Port Adelaide or the Crows should be able to Brand it any way they like. That will then allow for consumers to differentiate the ground.

Why do they need to differentiate it? It's just petty and stupid, much like clubs trying to change the end names at Etihad, no one but the die hards acknowledge it nor give a shit.

How's it anything different to the cattery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Because 'The Cattery' actually makes sense. It's the home of the Cats and the name 'cattery' is literally a place in which a large number of cats reside. Plus it's an historical colloquialism, rather than the half-arsed tacky attempts at claiming ownership of a shared facility that both Crows and Power fans are employing.

Because 'The Cattery' actually makes sense. It's the home of the Cats and the name 'cattery' is literally a place in which a large number of cats reside. Plus it's an historical colloquialism, rather than the half-arsed tacky attempts at claiming ownership of a shared facility that both Crows and Power fans are employing.

They're all shit, nauseating names. A bit like how w***ers would call Subi 'the House of Pain.' Call it what you want. It's a weird thing to care about in the slightest – clubs are all about marketing now and the place that club plays will be marketed to.

People will bitch about anything.

Having been initially sceptical about the development when I first heard about it (before I started to follow AFL), the recent test really won me over. The photos posted on here looked great and watching the Ashes test led me to think that the designers succeeded in pulling off the same trick as Lord's, in modernising and improving the ground whilst retaining enough historical character and charm. Now, of course, I am much more aware of the need to combine footy and cricket and as such I cannot wait for the first AFL game at the new Adelaide Oval. Well done South Australia.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get into the oval and access the stands on non event days. There's a photo I'd love to take that would require getting into one of the elevated levels of the stands. Don't think it would work in western so for now would need to be south with the higher the tier the better.

Is it fair to assume though they lock up access to anything higher than the ground level, even on training days etc or on those days would you be likely to wander around including those levels?

Was interested when I read a post regarding cricket support from each city and I remember it ranking it Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane in that order (I think). I did some research based on the previous ashes attendance on the first 4 days of the tests and Adelaide came out clearly on top, even with un unfinished stadium and the MCG's record attendance.

2013/14 Ashes Attendances per capita:

Adelaide: 1 in every 37th person
Melbourne (Day 1): 1 in every 47th person
Brisbane: 1 in every 71st person
Perth: 1 in every 99th person

If you were to say that Adelaide supports cricket more than Melbourne you would be laughed at but these stats seem to point in that direction... It would have probably been 1 in every 32nd person if AO seated 50k. Very interesting.

btw for those who say that Melbourne doesn't have a stadium that is big enough for it to compete with Adelaide in terms of attendance per capita, day 1 of the boxing day test wasn't sold out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back