Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly the idea of having a new home for Tennis, Basketball and netball in the same vicinity of a new Adelaide Oval should have been part of the plan from the start. I never understood how it wasnt for the money involved - its not like Basketball and tennis use the facility at Mile End.
I'm pretty sure that a memorial drive redevelopment was on the cards when they first announced the redevelopment but got scrapped due to the costs. You can see it in this pic
adwl.jpg

It's such a pity they skimped on this, Memorial Drive's such a dive looking venue now. I really hope one day it's leveled and a decent multipurpose/Tennis venue's built there!

It's not just about building a multi purpose venue, the states tennis facilities are a complete joke compared to Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney. All 3 have comprehensive centres with 20+ courts available to the public, with different surfaces available.

The only venue we have that's close to this is Next Gen, which is privately owned, costs $1000+ to join and has hard court surfaces that haven't been replace in 10 years.

The ideal scenario would be to replace memorial drive centre court with a 10,000 seat multi purpose venue alongside an upgraded tennis centre that Tennis SA would own.

The most recent aerial photo, taken on the 9th of Jan. You can zoom in by clicking on the image.

adelaide_oval_2014_eagle.jpg

Also, I don't think the 36ers and Lightning want to play in an entertainment venue.

From memory, the 36ers were expected to play at the Entertainment Centre when it first opened but BASA opted to build their own facility, and even when Adelaide Arena was facing foreclosure recently, the 36ers were reluctant to move to the Entertainment Centre due to the costs of having to use a portable court and having home games scheduled around other events.

A multi-purpose sport venue that augments NetballSA Stadium, Adelaide Arena and Memorial Drive into one venue at the doorstep to Adelaide Oval would be fantastic. It could even be operated by the SMA (even if basketball, netball and tennis get board positions on the SMA) and make the Adelaide Oval precinct a true multi-purpose sport facility. It might also help the respective sport's bottom line. Could even have a retractable roof so tennis can still be outdoors and netball and basketball indoors.

Jesus, why would those associations want the SACA's and SANFL's grubby little mits all over their sports?

To me it doesn't look like there is enough room for a multi purpose 10,000 seater there, I also think with Netball and a Basketball, due to the shorter durations, car parking would be an issue. I know I sound like a bit of a nay sayer on this one, but I'm not sure it would work.

They stuffed up on the roof at the Southern End not covering the entire first tier which are supposed to be premium seats.
Centre bay of seats, right behind the goals, will be fine :p
It's already an effing huge roof even without covering the 1-2% of seats on the ends of the stand (which are fairly open to the elements anyway).

They stuffed up on the roof at the Southern End not covering the entire first tier which are supposed to be premium seats.

I don't think this is correct. The first tier of the southern end is the Silver membership option for us, which is the 2nd cheapest season ticket membership option after GA. Unless you're talking about the red seats which I refer to as the 2nd tier?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think this is correct. The first tier of the southern end is the Silver membership option for us, which is the 2nd cheapest season ticket membership option after GA. Unless you're talking about the red seats which I refer to as the 2nd tier?
Which is called Level 3 :p

Level 1 - fence seats & kiosks
Level 2 - office kind of space
Level 3 - red seats
Level 4 - Corporate/TV
Level 5 - green seats

Well the red seats. I'm sitting in them smack bang in the middle so I'll be ok but I'm sure someone that has paid the same amount thinking they're under cover and not will be pissed off. But not my problem ;)

Been a bit of talk of SA jumpers and Adelaide Oval this week...

484001-good-mark-.jpg

So I thought I'd post an image from the olden days, of SA playing Victoria in 1905. SA in the black and white stripes, Victoria with a sash.

So the story goes Collingwood was so impressed by the design that it was used as inspiration for our jumper in the 1890's.

And of course Port Adelaide changed from magenta to B&W stripes in 1903 though with a slightly different design.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back