Game Day Adelaide v Brisbane, Sun 28/6/20 @1.15pm => FACE/OFF: OH HOWE ARE THE MYGHTIE OUERTHROWEN

Brisbane winning margin? Will a senior get recalled? Who will debut? What tattoo should I get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely zero chance of catching them off guard. Sadly Charlie is yet another ex player who really dislikes his old club. Lyons hasn’t been as vocal but can’t imagine any love lost there either. And CEY tops it off if he plays.

They will be frothing at the chance for a big kill.

Absolutely zero chance of catching them off guard. Sadly Charlie is yet another ex player who really dislikes his old club. Lyons hasn’t been as vocal but can’t imagine any love lost there either. And CEY tops it off if he plays.

They will be frothing at the chance for a big kill.

Roo will be in another Twitter war...

Why not use Marty as a senior assistant then?
He's a bloody back to back winning sanfl coach before the age of 40.
I suspect Mattner, and maybe Bassett too, are not part of Roo's Boys' Club. That nepotism is the only explanation for Brett Burton's rise and the retaining of the failed Hart, for example.

Interesting, and salient.

What happens at the end of the year if Sloane says, I gave everything for this club, but I want a premiership, trade me to Collingwood?

You pack his bags for him and get the draft pick, right?

So I looked through the list, and the oldies who would want out:

Tom Lynch, 29y 9m
Rory Sloane, 30y 3m
Daniel Talia, 28y 8m
Kyle Hartigan, 28y 7m
Brodie Smith, 28y 5m
The Crouch brothers, as a package, ~ 26y - not old but would have currency

No one else we have, would be picked up. So, we should have taken these guys aside, told them about "Footy grief", told them we're open to moving them on for the right price (and only for the right price)

FACE/OFF: Adelaide v Brisbane, Sun 28/6/20 @1.15pm =>
OH HOWE ARE THE MYGHTIE OUERTHROWEN

View attachment 897217

It has finally happened. For years, I'd write a FACE/OFF thread versus Brisbane, safe in the knowledge we were probably a better team. I had fun writing them - there was a Billy Joel song one, a long rambling one that referenced Pokemon GO, Die Hard and the Money Pit, and a really fun one that was a Choose Your Own Adventure game:

2014 - With Billy Joel parody song: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-lions-round-20-sun-aug-10th-1-10pm.1071954/
2015 - A Tale Of Two Cities: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-brisbane-round-13-4-15-june-27-2015.1101633/
2016 - The Magnificent 7 vs Suicide Squad: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/face-off-–-adelaide-v-brisbane…-or-the-magnificent-seven-15-v-suicide-squad.1140072/
2017 - Choose Your Own Adventure: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-off-adventure-adelaide-vs-brisbane.1159237/
2018 - Greatest Hits Package: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-face-off-crows-v-lions-7pm-saturday-21-7.1199098/
2019 - took a year off while to write my debut novel, "The Animal We Built Ourselves", i plan to finish soon and release it. Serious. It's the last thing I plan to do with my life.

but now it's 2020. It's been a ******* crazy year in the world, and that's putting it mildly. There's a pandemic, a near total financial collapse, global protests around Black Lives Matter, and my own impending mortality. It's enough for somebody to just go, "fu** it". But I digress - like I said, "safe in the knowledge we "were probably a better team."

...and now I've never felt less safe about this statement. We've seen our respective teams in the last year. No one who isn't legally of sound mind thinks we're a better team than we were. For instance, here's the betting for next weekend's game as of 3am Monday 22/6/20:

View attachment 897128

Note how Brisbane are overwhelming favourites? What's our record for the last ten years? (https://finalsiren.com/PreviousGames.asp)

View attachment 897120

By my count, that's 10-3. You'd be happy with that kind of streak against anyone. So what happened? For me, it was hubris. Mid-table finishes and "make the 8 and anything can happen" and a board that never cleaned up after itself, an SANFL that treated us as a cash cow, a CEO not worth the bucket of spit here in my office (yes, i have a spit bucket, the dexamethasone causes excessive salivation), and a legal structure that prohibited engagement by the wider supporter base. A deadly cocktail. Now we have a list bereft of talent, untried coaches, an operations stacked with people too insular to trust. Having failed to grease the wheels, we have ground to a halt.

So yes - Lo, How Are The Mighty Overthrown!

So Gil Scott-Heron famously sang, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised". But it looks now that he was wrong-ish, bnecause we're going to watch our club fall apart on TV every weekend for the rest of the year. Hell, it will be livestreamed on Twitter. So, I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Deaneus!, why aren't we a better team anymore? Can you point out where you think it went wrong?

First, the Players:

Peeps. You fall into a few categories here. There are those of you who aren't good enough. Some of you are one-way runners. Some of you are young and been shut out of the team due to piss-poor selection policies. Some of you are going to get screwed through no fault of your own. Some of you are going to get better deals than you deserve. There are good things in some of you - Doedee, Fogarty, Hamill, McHenry, Jones , McAsey - the core of a good side is there but we will need patience, and there are draft picks coming. Keep the faith, for there are dark times ahead, but there will be a premiership. The rest of you, have a think about what you want to do and where you want to be next year. I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Second, the Coaches:

Do we even have any coaches? We have Nicksy, who must be shaking his head. Interim coach, here we come. We also have

Defence: Marty Mattner, left for greener pastures.
Midfield: Mick Godden, is still here.
Forward: Ben Hart, on suspension, he can't hurt us anymore.
Ruck: Matthew Clarke, still on the team
Development: Heath Younie, still here too i think.

We don't appear to have a gameplan, or at least our players can't execute it, so the coaches have got their work cut out for them. Bad times at the OK Corral. I did see this though I thought I'd show you:

It looks good that all of our coaches bar the first two have winning records, until you marry that against our lack of premiership success.

Third, the Admin & Board:

Uh. It's always hard to criticise, because we don't see what actually happens, we only see the result. So IMHO, let me now dump on all these people:

Fagan (CEO) - well, he replaced Trigg so that's a tick, sponsorship revenues ballooned as he leveraged the club; and he was CEO and got us a coveted AFLW license and 2 cups. I think he's been hamstrung by others talking up their footying, but administratively he's done the job, i think.
Chapman (Chairman) - i promise to tell you the truth. Wait I can't.
Roo - hmmm... svengali or savior?
Jameson - hmmm. On the board by name recognition.
The rest of the board - *crickets*
Smart (Chief Operating Officer) - classic example of a bloke who's only ever failed upwards. He's probably Just Right for the job.
Adam Kelly (Head of Football) - it's a bit early but at least we know he's busy
Daniel Jackson (Leadership Development Manager) - too early but he's got some stuff to do

There's a few people in that list that need to go. We need a big broom.

Fourth, the Supporters:

Thought you'd get away with it? Nope. It's bad enough we get idiots on Facebook constantly backing the club. If anything, we should be backing *over* the club with a dumptruck. These people need to be given short shrift, and ridiculed.

In the seminal masterwork of Alan Moore, V for Vendetta, Moore ******* stabs the audience with a broadsword through the chest, as he often does. You're probably used to the movie, where ultra-hottie Natalie Portman shaves her head and leads the fight against the *bad government*. Great movie but IMHO it chickens out of THE CENTRAL POINT OF THE BOOK.

View attachment 897133View attachment 897134View attachment 897210

The centre of the story Moore wrote which Hioolywood bastardised, is that we have bad government because we keep voting it in. For something to be right, it is *our responsibilty*. That was his whole message - your freedom is your own, and you are responsible for it, so educate yourselves and take charge of your lives. The world is full of people who say they have your best interests at heart, and it's bullshit. Stand up and be counted, or you end up with human-shaped piles of sh*t like Donald Trump taking away your rights. Never forget you live in a police state, and never forget the government should fear *you*. The mandate to govern is with your consent. Withdraw your consent and fight back!

View attachment 897136
selection night turned nasty when Mackay got a recall

Yes, I know they're unelected positions here at the footy club, the ones that need changing. And you know how you do it? You COMPLAIN. You WHINE and b*tch and MOAN until it's just easier for people like Chapman to do the right thing, or stand aside. Chapman's already said he's leaving, and sure maybe the club needs him to steward us through this most difficult hour... But I'm not just talking about the club. I'm talking about everywhere. If you don't like something about the world, change it.

this is our proud club right now

And Brisbane?

They're in 5th spot, 2-1, 107%, and a list that makes me salivate: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-brisbane-lions

Deaneus's final outcome:
- a big name to be dropped
- another debutant
- Gibbs or Mackay to come in
- Brisbane by 10 goals at least

I will post later in the week via my alter-ego Gamblor, and it will be glorious.
Don't forget to vote in the poll above, so I can release the winning design of my "Why Not Get a Face Tattoo?" Competition

And so you know it's really me...

Terrific rant, mate, lol.

I fear you might've used up too much of your precious time on the 2020 Crows who are not worth it. I agree that supporters should be voting with their feet and not spending their hard-earned, Covid-diminished $s on the Crows until this incompetent Administration get the message, forcing Chapman (who thinks he's so good he can choose his own time of leaving)/ Roo/ Hass/ Hart (and other Roo-sycophant barnacles) to get lost.
What were your thoughts on Talia's "least-competitive Crows" comments? Captain Sloane is conspicuously silent.
I loved Greenwood's opening Tweet, but Roo's "only 10 possessions" cheap shot was indicative of the worst of current Crows mentality --- I mean, which of our current Crows has the intensity to lay 13 tackles, with those 10 all-contested possessions?

*crickets chirping*

Fwiw, I think Brisbane will have one of their biggest wins against us, inflicting yet another horror loss on Talia's hapless peers. The word is out --- run hard against the Crows, pressure and tackle and they will fold, which are three things which Brisbane does well. I feel sorry for Nicks for the mess he's bought into, but at the same time I suspect he has a talent for saying what people (read: Roo et al) want to hear, which is only useful when it's backed by action. Unfortunately, I have not seen any Nicks-driven changes to team structure, or game changes/moves to halt and turn the tide of opposition dominance.
I can't see any kind of Nicks' game plan. If there is one, the players are not buying it. Shame on them.

Thinking of you mate , all the best!

What happens at the end of the year if Sloane says, I gave everything for this club, but I want a premiership, trade me to Collingwood?

So I looked through the list, and the oldies who would want out:

Tom Lynch, 29y 9m
Rory Sloane, 30y 3m
Daniel Talia, 28y 8m
Kyle Hartigan, 28y 7m
Brodie Smith, 28y 5m
The Crouch brothers, as a package, ~ 26y - not old but would have currency

No one else we have, would be picked up. So, we should have taken these guys aside, told them about "Footy grief", told them we're open to moving them on for the right price (and only for the right price)
I still think that if these guys can get into the right the head space they'll be important in helping transition the young fellas.

... told them we're open to moving them on for the right price (and only for the right price) .
Aaaaah mate, if only we had someone smart enough and tough enough to negotiate that right price!!

I wouldn't blame any player, senior or not, for leaving this absolute train-wreck to chase a Flag.
P.S. edit: I doubt that Hartigan would have currency; his kicking (like most of the current mob) is dreadful. The Crows dismal uncontested possession numbers say our disposals are not finding other Crows.

Fwiw, I think Brisbane will have one of their biggest wins against us, inflicting yet another horror loss on Talia's hapless peers.
Brisbane during the time of their 3 peat inflicted a couple of absolute beltings. 1 was around 180 points. I genuinely hope they don't get remotely close to that.

1 was around 180 points. I genuinely hope they don't get remotely close to that.
When did they beat us by around 30 goals?
I wasn't thinking of that Brisbane, though, fair point. I think a 15-goal drubbing is on the cards this Sunday, unless Nicks pulls off some kind of miracle change/s in game plan and player attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did they beat us by around 30 goals?
I wasn't thinking of that Brisbane, though, fair point. I think a 15-goal drubbing is on the cards this Sunday, unless Nicks pulls off some kind of miracle change/s in game plan and player attitude.
2004 .. edit: they kicked 189 points to Adelaide's 48 .. so they only won by a lousy 141 points

Terrific rant, mate, lol.

I fear you might've used up too much of your precious time on the 2020 Crows who are not worth it. I agree that supporters should be voting with their feet and not spending their hard-earned, Covid-diminished $s on the Crows until this incompetent Administration get the message, forcing Chapman (who thinks he's so good he can choose his own time of leaving)/ Roo/ Hass/ Hart (and other Roo-sycophant barnacles) to get lost.

Nope, I'm good. Confined to the house since surgery, it's been perfect timing. I've got the $60 hold my seat deal going.

What were your thoughts on Talia's "least-competitive Crows" comments? Captain Sloane is conspicuously silent.

Talia can always be relied upon to tell it like it is. I think they'll wheel Sloane out later in the week to talk about how they're hurting.

I loved Greenwood's opening Tweet, but Roo's "only 10 possessions" cheap shot was indicative of the worst of current Crows mentality --- I mean, which of our current Crows has the intensity to lay 13 tackles, with those 10 all-contested possessions?

Yup, we're looking at the wrong stuff and we don't care to apologise for it.

Hugh Greenwood, 11 disposals, 7K 4H, 1 mark, 13 tackles, 8 clearances, 2 goal assists

Which Crows midfielder did better than this?

Mate, we're playing AFL Fantasy and everyone else is looking at the scoreboard... where we got done by 53 points. As for too old, not in next premiership - we got a few in that boat now.

Fwiw, I think Brisbane will have one of their biggest wins against us, inflicting yet another horror loss on Talia's hapless peers. The word is out --- run hard against the Crows, pressure and tackle and they will fold, which are three things which Brisbane does well. I feel sorry for Nicks for the mess he's bought into, but at the same time I suspect he has a talent for saying what people (read: Roo et al) want to hear, which is only useful when it's backed by action. Unfortunately, I have not seen any Nicks-driven changes to team structure, or game changes/moves to halt and turn the tide of opposition dominance.
I can't see any kind of Nicks' game plan. If there is one, the players are not buying it. Shame on them.

Oh shall ye reap what ye sew

If Sloane wanted out ( and I have had a bit of thought on this), he'd want to tear up his contract to get traded, otherwise, we would need to pick up big dollars

I think Murphy has nailed it, especially here:
" I would wonder if behind closed doors if Matthew Nicks and those players are coming together to look after each other and go ‘we’re not here for a premiership, we’re here to help these young kids build to something else’.” ".
It's a powerful motivational tool that might get the Seniors out of their funk.

Edit: P.S. they need to stop thinking that they 'deserved' a Premiership, too.
World of difference between feeling 'deserving' ("after everything that's happened, we're owed") and earning.

Last edited:
As he does regularly, Titus O'Reilly has put the damning full stop on the Roo-Greenwood stoush

"It’s true that Hugh Greenwood is not going to be playing in the Crows next premiership side, no one currently alive is"

Bit rough coming from a Dees supporter! Pot kettle black maybe?

Brisbane are enjoying their football (remember how that was?) and are in love with their coach. Should be a cruise for them.
I can't wait to see our players standing with ball in hand undecided and frustrated looking from side to side waiting for any indication upfield that someone is even slightly interested (and doesn't have his back to the play)in wanting to present and scrap for the ball......

Lions easily.

80+ Not joking.

Crows will go so hard they will over-commit, get injured doing so, collide into each other, be made to look stupid after working so hard, only to see the ball whisked away effortlessly for a no-drama-stock-standard-easy Brisbane goal, time after time. Charlie Cameron to kick 5...or more. Bookmark it all.

View attachment 897450

I'll be putting a few dollars around the 80+ region. This season is about a bit of a punt, I blame Gamblor, watching the kids, death riding GWS and keeping up to date with the draft thread because we're going in with serious currency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Adelaide v Brisbane, Sun 28/6/20 @1.15pm => FACE/OFF: OH HOWE ARE THE MYGHTIE OUERTHROWEN

Back