Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Adelaide vs Fremantle

Sunday 20th March 2022

Adelaide Oval

1:10pm

I understand from Tonga Bob there are a number of new awards for previews this year. Let me tell you I am feeling quietly confident.

The awards where I think I am a strong chance are:

• 2022 Best preview of an away game in March
  • 2022 Best preview by a person who is obsessed with knitting
  • 2022 Best preview by a person who thinks Brennan Cox should be played forward
I know the competition will be strong in all these categories and I much admire all the other potential previewers, but I just feel things have fallen into place for me this year.

After loading up this preview I will be busy for some time polishing my acceptance speeches, knitting my outfit for the awards' night and plotting how to get JLo to see Brennan as the forward we need.

Last Time They Met

2021 Round 5 Adelaide Oval Dockers 12 12 84 Adelaide 11 6 72

Adelaide’s form was quite good leading in to this match and Tex was in great form. We won the midfield battle, Andy, Dave and our captain all good on the day, Luke Ryan great down back and a big 4 goals from Tabs.

Line-ups

The Dockers have a good level of availability although there are a number of unknowns. Wilson is unavailable. Fyfe’s situation is unknown at the moment. Sturt, Treacy, Aish are unknown due to lack of fitness/match play and Lobb and Tucker are unknown due to injury although the club seemed to intimate Lobb is probably okay. If Lobb and Treacy were both unavailable we would look small up forward other than that we cover the unknowns well enough, except for Fyfe, of course. I expect Lobb and Aish to play.

Adelaide is without Tex, Laird (who won their club best and fairest last year) and Seedsman.

This Week’s Battle

Like the Dockers, Adelaide are rebuilding and field a fairly young, inexperienced team. They won 7 games last year to our 10. Two of their wins came against top 4 teams in Geelong and Melbourne, a bit unbelievable really. Interestingly, Seedsman and Laird were their biggest possession winners in the win over Melbourne, Laird again their biggest possession winner against Geelong with Tex kicking 5. This all bodes well for us I guess.

The Crows played well early in their preseason match against Port, but ended up going down by 6 goals. Rachele was their highest goal scorer with 3.

The Crows lost their clearances, on average, last year and we won the clearances on average. They lost the contested ball, on average, but by a bit less than us. They scored more than us over the year (so what’s new), although we had more scoring shots and inside 50s (so what’s new).

As ever, the midfield battle will have a big influence on the game. If Fyfe plays I expect we can win that, without Fyfe I certainly hope we can break even at least. I hope our Sean has blown out the cobwebs after a forgettable game first up last Sunday.

Our defence should be able to get on top of their forwards, if not then we are not in for a good year.

Their key defenders are inexperienced and if Tabs and Lobb (if he plays) are worth anything they should do well, bringing smaller players into the game. Smith and Doedee are very good mid sized defenders for them. I want to see what Freddie can do with his new found forward craft, and I want him to kick straight.

Prediction

It is a match we need to win, if we want to be in any kind of final’s contention. We should win as long as we convert our chances adequately.

Dockers 9 13 67

Adelaide 8 8 56

heath ledger joker GIF

Awesome stuff dockerfemme!! Your awards are in the mail.

How good is round one hope hey?

I am discovering little ages well.

But **** it. Tabs is a freak whose preseason output consisted entirely of headscratching weirdness. We're better off without him just now. Bring him back cherry ripe for finals. He's the Wild Card.

Lobb appears contractually obliged to disappear for 5 entire games throughout the season. Getting this one out of the way early is just good planning.

Trust the young fellas to get it done.

Make sturt med sub. If Lobb gets worse sub him as Sturt can play tall. If Lobb feels ok throughout the game and plays through at least Sturt is an adequate replacement for any size on the ground.

Simply put Play Lobb and have Sturt on stand by. Obviously Treacy replaces Tabs.

Sturt FF. Treacy CHF. Meek rotates with Darcy in the Fwd line. Our three talls. Then have Shultz, Walters and Colyer at the feet. Switta off the bench.

Make sturt med sub. If Lobb gets worse sub him as Sturt can play tall. If Lobb feels ok throughout the game and plays through at least Sturt is an adequate replacement for any size on the ground.

Simply put Play Lobb and have Sturt on stand by. Obviously Treacy replaces Tabs.

Sturt FF. Treacy CHF. Meek rotates with Darcy in the Fwd line. Our three talls. Then have Shultz, Walters and Colyer at the feet. Switta off the bench.
Literally no chance Sturt will be medical sub. Not only is it a terrible suggestion, JL has already stated they highly prefer midfielders in the sub-role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Tex out allow us to throw Cox forward or will Adelaide use a like-for-like (who that is ??)
Has Hamling been declared AFL fit or are people using Logue to fill the other key back post ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Another banana on the run please Darcy.

Great write up by the way. Love how everyone gets a crack at them throughout the year. Some clever posters on our board.

Lobb and Treacy have to play. Even at 50/50, we need them for structure.
Cox and Treacy even is scary.
Fyfe will come in and play forward.
I really don't think Fyfe will play forward, all the talk coming from Fyfe and JL is that he will be playing midfield exclusively this year, good chance of another brownlow year (the hair). It is a big reason he is looking in such good shape, that last newspaper article he was in even says he lost a bit of the passion to be his best because h was asked to step back for the young mids to get experience.

I really don't think Fyfe will play forward, all the talk coming from Fyfe and JL is that he will be playing midfield exclusively this year, good chance of another brownlow year (the hair). It is a big reason he is looking in such good shape, that last newspaper article he was in even says he lost a bit of the passion to be his best because h was asked to step back for the young mids to get experience.
If Fyfe is still lacking the fitness required for midfield some forward time could work.

If Fyfe is still lacking the fitness required for midfield some forward time could work.
With Rory Laird out the Crows midfield is not great, could afford to put Fyfe at CHF and even if he doesn't kick straight he will give plenty of opportunities to the smaller forwards and take pressure off Lobb if he plays and or whoever plays at FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back