macca69

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was wondering which young players you think will step up next year and make a bit of an impact, hear a lot about most clubs youth, but have hardly heard anything about Adelaide's future guns, who will and wont make it at AFL level? thanx for your help.

Fergus Watts
Nathan Van Berlo
Chris Knights
Ivan Maric
and possibly John Meesen are the boys that should get a fair bit of time at AFL level next year.

Of those, I would expect Fergus Watts to have the biggest impact and along with Knights might give the rising star award one mighty shake.

Stiffy_18 said:
Fergus Watts
Nathan Van Berlo
Chris Knights
Ivan Maric
and possibly John Meesen are the boys that should get a fair bit of time at AFL level next year.

Of those, I would expect Fergus Watts to have the biggest impact and along with Knights might give the rising star award one mighty shake.

But I heard that Fergus may be or wanst to leave AFC? I honestly have no clue, please tell me, you seem to know lots about it all.

abs

Watts will go home, I don't think NC wants him. If we rated him, he's be emergency this week - he's really been going well with WWT. NC rates Stephens aghead of Watts and he has barely played in the past two months. Soemthing is wrong here.

crowsgirl91 said:
But I heard that Fergus may be or wanst to leave AFC? I honestly have no clue, please tell me, you seem to know lots about it all.

abs
I do know the club is trying to sign him up. The club does want him but I really don't know if he wants to stay.

Time will tell on this one though. I genuinely hope he stays and the club feels the same way. It will be interesting to see how Fergus feels.

wattsup said:
Watts will go home, I don't think NC wants him. If we rated him, he's be emergency this week - he's really been going well with WWT. NC rates Stephens aghead of Watts and he has barely played in the past two months. Soemthing is wrong here.
Stevens is as emergency ahead of Watts for 2 reasons:

1) He is more experienced
2) He has proven at AFL level that he can play both ends of the ground

Cut throat SF against Port Adelaide is not the time to bring in a young tall with a total of 5 games AFL experience.

Stiffy_18 said:
Stevens is as emergency ahead of Watts for 2 reasons:

1) He is more experienced
2) He has proven at AFL level that he can play both ends of the ground

Cut throat SF against Port Adelaide is not the time to bring in a young tall with a total of 5 games AFL experience.

Correct Stiffy.

2006 will be the year for Watts.

Stevens mightn't even be around then.

macca23 said:
Correct Stiffy.

2006 will be the year for Watts.

Stevens mightn't even be around then.
Not sure about that one.

I reckon he stays on for at least another year. Considring the depth of this year's draft is poor, as is the quality (especially in talls) and the fact that we can already put a line through at least 2 talls for next season Stevens (ret.) and Hudson (inj), then its only logical that you make minimum changes to the list and you keep a tall or 2 that are handy but not much more.

I think Stevens stays for at least another year. Even though he hasn't played AFL games this year, he has been very good in SANFL this year. Especially before he broke his hand.

Stiffy_18 said:
I do know the club is trying to sign him up. The club does want him but I really don't know if he wants to stay.

Time will tell on this one though. I genuinely hope he stays and the club feels the same way. It will be interesting to see how Fergus feels.

I hope he stays but if he was part of our plans for 06 and beyond he would have played against Hawthorn

Markthirtytwo said:
I think the Count will become a permanent fixture in the 22 next year.

What position do you think the Count is most suited too??

My ins and outs for next year are as follow:

Reilly - Must be given more time in 2006. Let's see if he has what it takes. I would give him Burtons wing and use Burton as a pincvh hitting forward off the bench.

VB

Knights for Skipworth

Hinge for Doughty - Hinge is my smokey for 2006. Love his work ethic/courage, however needs to find consistency. Use him as our second tagger. Let's not forget Pearce was pretty much wallowing away in the ressies before he had 2-3 good senior games and then straight into the Power.

Maric for Clarke - Use Clarke as a backup to cover injuries. At the risk of stating the obvious, Calrkes around the ground work is non-existent.

Watts - Must become a permanent fixture in 2006.

Kruger - My other smokey. Provided he stays on our list, give this guy some game time to see if he has what it takes. He will be 23 next year. :eek:

Stiffy_18 said:

If Watts does want to go home, do you think we will be able to trade him back for at least pick13?? I'm hoping he doesn't as he has really showed something for the Eagles this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiffy_18 said:
Fergus Watts
Nathan Van Berlo
Chris Knights
Ivan Maric

Throw in Jericho too & I reckon your on the money Stiffy. Whilst all won't play 22 games, it is likely at 2-3 will play most of the year. There will be a real opportunity for Maric or Messon, given Huddo's injury. Watts should be cherry-ripe after a solid pre-season. Knights & VB will put some real pressure on some of our fringe players.

SpringChoke said:
Hinge for Doughty - Hinge is my smokey for 2006. Love his work ethic/courage, however needs to find consistency. Use him as our second tagger. Let's not forget Pearce was pretty much wallowing away in the ressies before he had 2-3 good senior games and then straight into the Power.

Kruger - My other smokey. Provided he stays on our list, give this guy some game time to see if he has what it takes. He will be 23 next year. :eek:
I reckon Hinge will be a very handy player, but IMO is another year away. If Krueger is fit, he may play some games, but he would need some injuries to force his way into the side, with Watts ahead of him.

wattsup said:
Think you find Craig & Watts get on OK. Craig is making him earn his spot & he should get his opportunity next year. Remember, he needs to force his way ahead of 1 of Kenny, Perrie & Trent.

Kane McGoodwin said:
Think you find Craig & Watts get on OK. Craig is making him earn his spot & he should get his opportunity next year. Remember, he needs to force his way ahead of 1 of Kenny, Perrie & Trent.
And that is a good grounding for the kid - it forces him to concentrate on his defficiencies at SANFL

Why is everyone so worried :confused:

I think Jericho will be reintroduced as a changing midfielder/half-forward.

His midfield form with Westies has been outstanding in an awful side.

Kane McGoodwin said:
Watts should be cherry-ripe after a solid pre-season. Knights & VB will put some real pressure on some of our fringe players.

Agreed re Watts.

Mark my words - Knights will get a Rising star nomination next year.

This kid is class. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide's Youngsters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back