Health ADHD Discussions & Supporting Group Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
So, talking with Cubs2Lions and DemurePrincess on the SFA Forum, we thought it might be good to start a thread on the subject. I’ll begin talking about me.

I'm 43 (44, in a couple of weeks). I was diagnosed 10 years ago, while struggling with a PhD in a foreign country with wife and two young kids. Up to that point, I had been able to overcome my shortcomings. All my mistakes ended up being amusing, although they always hurt a bit.

I failed in the PhD. I have abandoned Academia. I don't know what to do with my life since. I work in a job I'm not good at, but I'm unfireable, because it's a family business. Still, one can imagine what it does to my self-steem. Add up that my wife and kids don't like the city we live in, and the last decade has been a never-ending nightmare. From the outside, it all seems great. However, I know it's not. I feel like a waste.

I grew up as a mystery to teachers. My grades were all over the place. I would go relatively well with exams, but I couldn't get the "easy grades". I would give a good first impression, just to screw it all with some stupidity no long after. The activities that "any monkey would do" would always be the worst. No one seemed to understand how that could be possible.

I currently take Venvanse 70mg everyday. My oldest son is ADHD as well. I see all the great and all the bad things of me in him, and it's both awesome and scary. I didn't have many friends. He has any. It gets better in college, but he's still 3 years away from it. I wish I could help him, but I have my own demons to deal with first.

Oh I definitely have it. I’m the kind of person that will start one task. Walk past something. Start another task go back to the first task as I passed the first task. I see another task start that task so while I’m doing that task. I see something else and then start that task so I go back to the first task and thr 2nd and the 3rd task and the 4th task and try and do some of that and finish them off but then I find the 7th, 8th and 9th task and I start them
As well. So by the time you know I’ve had a few hours past. I got about 10 task going on And then I start panicking and stressing because oh my God time is running out. I need to get these tasks done but by the end of the day I do have them all done and complete perfectly to how I want them but yet I’m full of stress. I put myself into a ****ing panic mode.

Medication would sort that shit right out

I definitely have it, although not nearly as bad as I used to.

If studies haven't already been done I think they should look at medicinal marijuana as a treatment, definitely lessened the severity of my ADHD during my uni years IMO

I take Venvanse to “unhigh”, actually. The effect on me would be bad. It’s already my natural state.

ADHD doesn’t seem to be one thing. It’s not a disease, for sure. It’s “characteristics”. There are common traits, but there are distinctions as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Health ADHD Discussions & Supporting Group Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back