Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just stadium funding (though that's the biggest chunk). The AFL gets millions of dollars in funding from indigenous programmes, education programmes, health programmes etc. So do a lot of the other major sports. It's all a bit of a rort, and one that would be in jeopardy if any sport dropped out of WADA.

2016clubmembers20012016.png

The ground has had an attendance of over 14k a few times.

Most recently, last year in round 17 GWS vs Geelong got an attendance of 14,667 (a better attendance that what a lot of Sydney NRL clubs get).

What do you reckon - does that sound like over 14k?

My maths may not be too good, but geez, it looks like over 14k to me.

A Canberra T20 team would average 14k with ease.

If a ODI between Australia and India only got 10,922, I doubt a Canberra BBL side would "average 14k with ease"

More so than an Australia v India ODI? It was sold out... Does that mean cricket holds a lot less with sight screens and the like? Maybe BBL games can only get 10k max.

The BBL grand final was held at Manuka last year, as a neutral venue, pulled nearly 12k.
I'm confident a Canberra team would pull even more.
If the ACT Govt needs to invest a little to increase the capacity for cricket, then that can only be a good thing for all Canberra sports fans.

Interesting that that article was a year ago, describing the BBL as going gangbusters, but not a patch on this season.

Of the four clubs/venues mentioned as targets for a 9th license - you'd have to think Canberra is in prime position. The Gold Coast is a pretty good bet because of its summer-time population - but its sporting teams have a patchy record at attracting crowds (the Suns being the exception).

Interesting that that article was a year ago, describing the BBL as going gangbusters, but not a patch on this season.

Of the four clubs/venues mentioned as targets for a 9th license - you'd have to think Canberra is in prime position. The Gold Coast is a pretty good bet because of its summer-time population - but its sporting teams have a patchy record at attracting crowds (the Suns being the exception).

Titans crowds are just as good as the Suns - talking 11k to 12k here - and Titans crowds have been as high as 14k average in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back