Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
219095.jpg

Would you mess with him?

Is anyone here happy with our ruck stocks?

I'm not, so I'm glad they want to address it.

With that quote from Dodoro and Hird's comment about defending and mentioning Ryder when he was talking about Fletcher teaching them about 1-on-1 defending, I'd think we must be looking at a Ruckman somewhere along the line.

He didn't come out and say that we will be taking a tall, he mentioned that there are some quality talls there, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hird made a point of saying that the midfield is an area he wants to stregthen, and me thinks that's what will prevail.

With that quote from Dodoro and Hird's comment about defending and mentioning Ryder when he was talking about Fletcher teaching them about 1-on-1 defending, I'd think we must be looking at a Ruckman somewhere along the line.

He didn't come out and say that we will be taking a tall, he mentioned that there are some quality talls there, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hird made a point of saying that the midfield is an area he wants to stregthen, and me thinks that's what will prevail.
Exactly.

Talk about overreaction.

We clearly need another ruckman going forward as three ruckmen are not enough and Dodoro has mentioned that there are quality talls in the draft.

At no point has he confirmed he will use pick 8 on a ruckman.

Wow, calm down people and look realistically at this. The best talls that are likely to go top 10 are Day (Gold Coast), Gorringe (more than likely Gold Coast) and Darling a KPP which essendon dont need and may be gone before essendons pick 8. I have faith in the recruiting team and of course Jimmy that they will take the best midfielders with 2-3 picks and top up with another ruckman at some point in the draft.

Is Bock staying or going?? That rumour has cooled. Maybe we could use all our picks on midfielders and try snare a ruckman like Trent West in the pre-season draft.

Good call.

Hille - 29 years old - Coming to the end of his career, 3 years left.
Ryder - 22 years old - Can he actually carry the number one ruck duties?
Bellchambers - 21 years old - Young and promising.
Bock - 20 years old - Project.
Laycock - Delisted.

We've only to 3 ruckman. We need to draft one now so that in 3 to 4 years time when Hille is gone we have 3 ruckman that can easily take over (Ryder, Bellchambers, ?). I'd also expect us to draft another.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/talent-to-tap-at-essendon/story-e6frf9jf-1225931154357

I read this article and nearly fell off my chair when I read :

Dodoro said the Bombers would use their first pick (No. 8) on a tall to shore up their ruck stocks.

Is this a joke? Ryder, Hille, Bellchambers, Bock? Why would we use pick 8 on a ruckman? Surely a 3rd or 4th rounder? Or better yet rookie draft. The only reason I could think of why we would use pick 8 on a ruckman would be if we would be thinking about using Ryder or Hille as a full forward?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/talent-to-tap-at-essendon/story-e6frf9jf-1225931154357

Dodoro said the Bombers would use their first pick (No. 8) on a tall to shore up their ruck stocks.

Is this a joke? Ryder, Hille, Bellchambers, Bock? Why would we use pick 8 on a ruckman? Surely a 3rd or 4th rounder? Or better yet rookie draft. The only reason I could think of why we would use pick 8 on a ruckman would be if we would be thinking about using Ryder or Hille as a full forward?
Seems pretty funny that the other 2 or 3 articles have quoted him, and he hasn't said that; and the one that didn't get a quote, he has said it???
Ralph putting 2 and 2 together and getting 8.

Can't we use a second or three round pick to secure a ruckmen?

Good call.

Hille - 29 years old - Coming to the end of his career, 3 years left.
Ryder - 22 years old - Can he actually carry the number one ruck duties?
Bellchambers - 21 years old - Young and promising.
Bock - 20 years old - Project.
Laycock - Delisted.

We've only to 3 ruckman. We need to draft one now so that in 3 to 4 years time when Hille is gone we have 3 ruckman that can easily take over (Ryder, Bellchambers, ?). I'd also expect us to draft another.

Would the probable interchange rule change to 21 + 1 sub change your impression if, as many predict, the rule would mean that the 2nd ruck starts to become redundant.

Would be terrible to waste pick 8 on a ruck instead of a mid then leave him in the VFL for the next few years behind the others only for him to get frustrated and depart like other under-utilised ruckmen of recent years elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the best player at pick 8 is a ruckman then we should definately look at taking him. Bellchambers doesn't seem to be good enough imo.

My biggest concern at the moment is a goal kicking forward. Unless I'm missing someone i just don't see one on our list.

If the best player at pick 8 is a ruckman then we should definately look at taking him. Bellchambers doesn't seem to be good enough imo.

My biggest concern at the moment is a goal kicking forward. Unless I'm missing someone i just don't see one on our list.

1. Bellchambers has been very impressive in the VFL and the limited games/minutes he's played in the AFL. Showed definite improvement when he came in to assist Paddy when Hille was down.

2. Goal scoring forward would be the least of our worries, I'm not at all concerned with the ability of this Essendon side to score goals, it's probably our biggest strength, scoring the goals we did from the limited amount of opportunities. Especially with where footy is heading - defensive pressure/actions blah blah...

1. Bellchambers has been very impressive in the VFL and the limited games/minutes he's played in the AFL. Showed definite improvement when he came in to assist Paddy when Hille was down.

2. Goal scoring forward would be the least of our worries, I'm not at all concerned with the ability of this Essendon side to score goals, it's probably our biggest strength, scoring the goals we did from the limited amount of opportunities. Especially with where footy is heading - defensive pressure/actions blah blah...

I've been unable to see him in the VFL so i'll take your word for it. I hope he does turn out to be good enough.

I just feel that a lot of the time the ball was being bombed inside 50 this season because of a lack of a target. I did forget about Hardingham though and i hope he is the answer.

Great news about Hirdy. It was great to hear what he had to say at the announcement with regards to the midfield...

But the Dud(oro) had the following to say...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ay-at-windy-hill/story-e6frf9jf-1225931072803

I remember he said the same thing leading up to the Myers draft :eek:. You can wake up a bloke who is sleeping. But you can never wake up a guy who is pretending to sleep. If our list manager doesn't recognise our glaring weakness for like the last 8 years, then no point keeping him on. Sack him immediately I say, before this draft, before he brings in another KPP.
You have absolutely no idea do you champ.
It is pretty bloody obvious we are picking a midfielder with our first pick. Everyone knows it, including GC. Dodoro is simply trying to second guess GC who will surely be looking at picking up a mid with pick 7, and most likely an inside ball winning mid, knowing that's what we are probably after.
I don't think this smokescreen will work, but its worth a try.

Maybe they see a guy they think we'll be a 200+ game star for the club? People where all over the decision to take Hurley back in his draft, now we can't get enough of him.

I trust the recruiting staff to know if it's best to take some ruck/tall with 8 and mids in the rest of the draft. Its their job. If that's what they think, go for it.

Gorringe and Lycett would be the two young rucks that would be around the #8 mark.... id still prefer the club take Brodie Smith or Shaun Atley though...

Gorringe and Lycett would be the two young rucks that would be around the #8 mark.... id still prefer the club take Brodie Smith or Shaun Atley though...

definitely! For the next 3 years, we'll have an awesome ruck combo in Hille and Ryder, with Bellchambers to come through if there are injuries.

Yes, we need to start thinking about what happens in 3 years time onwards, but not using our bloody pick 8!!!

Look at the two AllAustralian rucks this year- Jamar and Sandi- 2 rookie listed players. Jolly & Hudson, arguably the 3rd and 4th best ruckman in the league, and they were also rookie picks when they were first drafted.

What we should be doing, is over the next 3-4 years, we should be drafting a number of rucks via the rookie draft or late picks. Perhaps keeping 2 developing ruckman on the rookie list at all times, seeing if we can develop one of them into a gun.

Pick 8 is way to valuable to use on a position we're set for for the next 3 years, especially since Gorringe will be taken before pick 8, so we'll only be getting the 2nd best ruckman from the draft

definitely! For the next 3 years, we'll have an awesome ruck combo in Hille and Ryder, with Bellchambers to come through if there are injuries.

Yes, we need to start thinking about what happens in 3 years time onwards, but not using our bloody pick 8!!!

Look at the two AllAustralian rucks this year- Jamar and Sandi- 2 rookie listed players. Jolly & Hudson, arguably the 3rd and 4th best ruckman in the league, and they were also rookie picks when they were first drafted.

What we should be doing, is over the next 3-4 years, we should be drafting a number of rucks via the rookie draft or late picks. Perhaps keeping 2 developing ruckman on the rookie list at all times, seeing if we can develop one of them into a gun.

Pick 8 is way to valuable to use on a position we're set for for the next 3 years, especially since Gorringe will be taken before pick 8, so we'll only be getting the 2nd best ruckman from the draft

You make a compelling case..................... Gerard Wheatley?

I think with Ryder (hopefully) leading the ruck, do we 'have to have' two top five in the league ruckmen in the one team?

NO?

I am hoping that Bellchambers can continue to rise and improve on his drastically improved 2010 and take another step up in 2011 and put on some serious pressure to Hille and Ryder on their places in the seniors.

As said, I think some of the ruckmen may slide in this years draft, some decent prospects late in the draft..

Would seriously consider one of Leif Cope, Tom Hickey or Johnathan Ceglar late in the draft or in the rookie draft.

I am just hoping that this will be a 'smoke screen' as someone said and we do in fact take a Brodie Smith or a Jared Polec..

Hirdy has said on SEN that we will use at least 3 picks in the draft... (im guessing that a 4th would be the rookie upgrade of Howlett).. so unless we trade for a pick we won't be drafting all tha many new players.

I suppose that means we won't be delisting many players either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back