Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
Its still a professional environment, which is going to improve every player to some extent. But I think it's a matter of degrees. The side that gets that little extra improvement out of a player/group has the edge.
Some players have responded more than others, but I don't believe our coaching etc staff have devolped enough of them anywhere near well enough.

I'm betting you put any of Dodoros sides over the last 20 years in Geelongs colours, and they'd be better.
Doesn’t even come close to addressing my point but whatever.

I’m not denying that Geelong have better development and that ours has been bad. Most people agree with that - Geelong are generally a better and more professional club than ours.

But they’ve also had WAY better recruiting than ours, which has been terrible. Let me ask you this as an alternative hypothetical. If we swapped our recruiting dept. with Geelongs for the last 20 years, do you believe that we would be better off?

Doesn’t even come close to addressing my point but whatever.

I’m not denying that Geelong have better development and that ours has been bad. Most people agree with that - Geelong are generally a better and more professional club than ours.

But they’ve also had WAY better recruiting than ours, which has been terrible. Let me ask you this as an alternative hypothetical. If we swapped our recruiting dept. with Geelongs for the last 20 years, do you believe that we would be better off?

Yes probably. But my point is Dodoros sides have been better than their output.

Have they been good enough to win a premiership or go deep into finals? If so, which team of his was good enough?

That's a level that's very hard to foresee, due to we never got to see a lot of the players play to their true potential.

But take this current side for example. Imo it's good enough to be a top 6 side. Yet will finish well outside the 8.
That's partly due to poor management of players. The coach has been playing guys out of position, tall sides in the wet, not playing deserving players at all. He's playing a forward press, that gives the forwards no space to work into. That hurts the forwards, and then the defenders on transion.

All those things have hurt this group of players this year imo.
It's a common theme every year. Good sides that have underperformed due to our coaching etc.

Last edited:
I’d move them on before that, especially Parish (out this trade period if I had my way).
agreed

Made this comment at the time with (cant remember if it was Shiel or Parish) but the list spot is more important than the player specific.

To rebalance the list (from small inside midfielders galore) we need to rip the band aid off. I have serious doubt we try to actively trade out one of Hobbs, Shiel, Parish (won't happen but Merret)

That's a level that's very hard to foresee, due to we never got to see a lot of the players play to their true potential.

But take this current side for example. Imo it's good enough to be a top 6 side. Yet will finish well outside the 8.
That's partly due to poor management of players. The coach has been playing guys out of position, tall sides in the wet, not playing deserving players at all. He's playing a forward press, that gives the forwards no space to work into. That hurts the forwards, and then the defenders on transion.

All those things have hurt this group of players this year imo.
It's a common theme every year. Good sides that have underperformed due to our coaching etc.
I think you’re massively overrating the list.

One of the reasons we have to play players out of position is because we have holes in the list that we need to cover for. That’s on Dodo.

We still don’t really have a good key forward (Caddy isn’t there despite promising signs). We still don’t have a good big bodied mid (and haven’t since Watson retired in 2017) and so coaches are forced to have players like Stringer try and fill the void.

This has been going on years as well. Our lack of tall forwards often meant we were forced to play our best defenders like Hooker/Hurley up forward.

You’re happy to lay the blame with Scott, but we’ve had 5 other coaches since Sheedy and all of them had similar issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I'd like to see this expressed as a percentage, compared with other list managers of more successful clubs. That would make interesting reading and allow us to know who to target to bring in in support of Rosa.
Yep - even ignoring those player stats, I would have thought that step one is identifying what an EFC player should be (i.e. the attributes we need/want)
We want competitors, hard nosed, resilient, dependable, good skills.
Then - if a player doesn't tick the boxes, we do not take them.
We have a team of very nice boys, quite likable, well spoken. Great - but they are no good at competing in a professional football environment. As soon as the pressure ramps up we wilt. We have for years.
Enough of the choir boys - sick of it!!

Question, what makes Rosa a good draft selector, what prior experience?
He is not the bloke who specifically selects in the draft. That is the job of RFK along with Rohan O'Brien who and a couple of others including Darren Farrugia from Melbourne. He is the list manager . The guy who overseas it all. Head of recruiting is the draft selector. One of our issues in the past has been Dodoro as list manager making his own choices.

Question, what makes Rosa a good draft selector, what prior experience?
I might wrong but I think RFK (who needs to go too) is still the head selector.
Rosa was a successful footy operation manager at Peel which is Freo's aligned club. I think he helped them get to a GF within 4 years or something.

It will be interesting to see who comes in to help support Rosa.
Since he has helped us before, I would like Jordan Lewis in our set-up.

Sad day. He's built good sides over his tenure. Only for them to be routinely mismanaged by our coaches.

Fact: Almost every player he's drafted who's left, has played better elsewhere..
Like the side he left for Rutten with which had no small forwards....? Fast forward 3 years and it's still such an issue it would not surprise anyone if we paired Kako with Berry (or Hotton) if we get our pick in before a Kako bid.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the only player that we drafted that went on to play a premiership in the last 20 years is Mitch Hibberd. Let me know if I missed anyone else.

Sad day. He's built good sides over his tenure. Only for them to be routinely mismanaged by our coaches.

Fact: Almost every player he's drafted who's left, has played better elsewhere..
You can’t polish turds as they say. Many terrific players for other clubs have been in poor environments or unsuccessful coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back