AEW All Out, Sunday 8th September 2024, 10am AEST (Zero Hour 8:30am AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't need to devolve into name calling over simple disagreements mate.

Pretty easy to do, in any event. Key being it not being steel.

Explain it to me genius. What apparently harmless solid object that didn't break, that looks like a steel chair, was he hit with?

The point is that you can't really gimmick a chair, unless you make it out of plastic (or maybe chip board) and it shatters everywhere.

It doesn't really matter what the seat part/"hitting part" is made of, Newton's 3rd Law of Motion still applies, and it still creates an unsafe impact to the head and neck. Some materials will have slightly more give, but it's still nowhere near enough to make it safe or to defend it. (The thin steel itself has a degree of give to it, we still saw a spate of CTE and wrestlers dying in their 40s.)

Don't make me start explaining physics on a Sunday afternoon in reference to a wrestling show!

The point is that you can't really gimmick a chair, unless you make it out of plastic (or maybe chip board) and it shatters everywhere.

It doesn't really matter what the seat part/"hitting part" is made of, Newton's 3rd Law of Motion still applies, and it still creates an unsafe impact to the head and neck. Some materials will have slightly more give, but it's still nowhere near enough to make it safe or to defend it.

Don't make me start explaining physics on a Sunday afternoon in reference to a wrestling show!

You're talking to an engineer so I don't need a physics lecture either, believe me. To humour your citation of Newton's 3rd law, my contention is that the force exerted by the gimmicked chair is completely negligent...

We are going to have to agree to disagree here, we are poles apart.

You're talking to an engineer so I don't need a physics lecture either, believe me. To humour your citation of Newton's 3rd law, my contention is that the force exerted by the gimmicked chair is completely negligent...

We are going to have to agree to disagree here, we are poles apart.

So where does the force go if the chair doesn't break? It can't disappear Mr Engineer.

It doesn't really matter what the seat part/"hitting part" is made of, Newton's 3rd Law of Motion still applies, and it still creates an unsafe impact to the head and neck. Some materials will have slightly more give, but it's still nowhere near enough to make it safe or to defend it. (The thin steel itself has a degree of give to it, we still saw a spate of CTE and wrestlers dying in their 40s.)

You could make it aluminium...

So where does the force go if the chair doesn't break? It can't disappear Mr Engineer.

Watch it again? The entire middle section of the chair folds completely back - probably filed off hinges/pins.

Softer material, no resistance = very minimal force being exerted on the subject. Granted, it's not zero, but neither is a punch, superkick or any other move impacting the head.

I'm a fan of MMA, and I kinda take the same approach to watching AEW. While I don't agree with nor the biggest fan of the full on hardcore stuff - these guys are grown adults who are making a conscious decision to push the boundaries.

FWIW felt more uncomfortable with the Danielson plastic bag spot.

The funny thing is, the wrestling is great enough in AEW that it really doesn't need to push the boundaries that often.

Wish Tony got the view was less as more too as far as that stuff was concerned.

Anyway....... Ospreay and PAC. Ospreay goes without saying, but kinda forget how good PAC is too. Great that guys like him, Will and Okada mixing it up.

Hopefully Kenny is back sometime too in the next few months as well providing his health is all good. Lot of great match ups still to look forward to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll put the discussion on hold for now, and I definitely will go back and watch that spot again.

I really want to watch Stat vs Willow again, I kind of thought that was match of the night!

Seriously, has anyone been in a bigger death spot (following Ospreay / PAC) and responded better? Full credit to both.

The media scrum today may be newsworthy for its complete lack of newsworthiness.

Instead of an hour long scrum featuring promos and kayfabe interviews with talent, followed by a long TK Q&A, we got talking heads filling time, TK saying it'll be short and being the only one to speak, and making some vague allusions to everyone not being well.

Either there's some big injuries coming out of the show, or something has happened backstage during/after the show.

The media scrum today may be newsworthy for its complete lack of newsworthiness.

Instead of an hour long scrum featuring promos and kayfabe interviews with talent, followed by a long TK Q&A, we got talking heads filling time, TK saying it'll be short and being the only one to speak, and making some vague allusions to everyone not being well.

Either there's some big injuries coming out of the show, or something has happened backstage during/after the show.

I hope Bryan goes through all his former stablemates
Yuta first who almost has it won then hesitates and it costs him
Then PAC in a classic where one too many high risk moves sees him tap
Then Mox in a war
Then Claudio in a wrestling classic as he deserves the title

Are we happy with any of those for Brissie?

Sounds like it was a good PPV with great wrestling. The gore isn’t going to be for everyone and the plastic bag over someone’s head is probably taking things a bit to far. Like there’s hurting people and then there is something that in real life would be attempted murder in this day and age there’s got to be some line that you push but probably don’t go over.

It’s something that would have fit in during the attitude eta but now not a great look at all.

Yeah, everyone has a personal line, and that's cool. For mine, it actually made me feel uncomfortable. For a millisecond i actually thought it was legit. :tearsofjoy: And for those reasons i absolutely loved it. Reminded me of a really old school hate angle, even predating the attitude era.

I think my broad thoughts on AEW are they need to continue to differentiate themselves from the competition wherever possible. There are similarities that are necessary in televised wrestling that you can't avoid, buy WWE are massively popular and will probably always be, so it's no point trying to match them at their own game.

You always need to ask yourself if you're AEW, what do we do that WWE can't and won't do? There was an absolute shitload of stuff like today, from the the bag angle to Ospreay and PAC. That's one of the reasons this show felt so great, imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

AEW All Out, Sunday 8th September 2024, 10am AEST (Zero Hour 8:30am AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back