AFL 2006- Sounds awesome!

Remove this Banner Ad

Even just a rough release date would be satisfactory for me at the moment as the season gets thicker I want to play a decent AFL game!

It's gonna be crap. An AFL game wont be any good for at least 4 or 5 years because its just too much of a complicated game to make work.

There are 36 people on the field at any given time! It's chaos. I dont think there will ever be a realistic AFL game. Oh and all this drafts and crap etc etc...who cares. The game needs to have good gameplay!

Look at FIFA 2005...it has all the licensing, all the features, all the graphics and it looks fantastic. But it's boring. Pro Evo 4 doesnt have all those great features that FIFA has but Im still playing Pro Evo over FIFA. Why? Because of the gameplay.

GAMEPLAY is the most important thing in any game. And until it improves I wont buy it.

jod23 said:
It's gonna be crap. An AFL game wont be any good for at least 4 or 5 years because its just too much of a complicated game to make work.

There are 36 people on the field at any given time! It's chaos. I dont think there will ever be a realistic AFL game. Oh and all this drafts and crap etc etc...who cares. The game needs to have good gameplay!

Look at FIFA 2005...it has all the licensing, all the features, all the graphics and it looks fantastic. But it's boring. Pro Evo 4 doesnt have all those great features that FIFA has but Im still playing Pro Evo over FIFA. Why? Because of the gameplay.

GAMEPLAY is the most important thing in any game. And until it improves I wont buy it.

fifa (this is coming from someone who hates soccer and the only player I have heard fo is beckam so licences etc is irrelevent to me) is awesome if AFL 2006 is close to that I will be rapt

I didnt mean it would be close to FIFA....if it was I would buy it too because FIFA is an ok game, its just that Pro Evo blows it outta the water. I was just using FIFA and Pro Evo as an example.

One game has all the features, graphics and flashy style but is ********. The other doesnt have all that but I cant stop playing it.

AFL 06 sounds like its going FIFA's way. There worried about the draft and trading and crap like that. I dont want a draft and trades. I want a realistic, fun, football game!

They just need to keep the gameplay simple and fun. They don't need to have all these fancy button combos but if they can just make the game flow quickly then it will be good. And I would absolutly lve to see drafts and trades in the game. It would give it that much more depth. But flow is the key here. AFL 2004 was too slow, and too robotic.

well I don't know if it will be as good as or better than the AFL live games made by accliam. I got my copy of AFL live 2003 for only $5 at the local K-mart

here is a preview from www.futuregamez.net

Now before I start raving about this game I have to get something off my chest. What the hell is with the name AFL 2006. Sony is claiming the game will be out in mid-2005, and as a result it will include this years teams and rosters. Why then use 2006 in the title? Surely it's a marketing ploy, but one which could backfire horrifically. Sony and IR Gurus really need to think about what the game stands for - the 2005 AFL season. Now that that is out of the way let's have a look at what will surely be one of the most watched and anticipated titles in Australia this year.

I'll be the first to admit that the previous AFL games published through Acclaim were less the stellar. They were playable, and certainly for die-hard fans it was better then nothing, but the games were well short of what we expect these days. Now that Sony are publishing the title, and obviously having a lot of input into the development of game (more on that soon) there is hope.

Probably an in-game angle...
So what are the features of this game? Well as well as the pre-season Wizard Cup (and all the new rules), and the regular season, gamers can also participate in exhibition matches and training drills. AFL 2006 will also include a dynasty mode where you can play for up to 10 years to create a, ermm, dynasty. It will even be possible to trade players at the end of the season. It's the new additions to this year’s version that should really excite gamers. One key area which has been improved is the AI of the players. They now use their own tactics as well as player fatigue. The ball physics have also been improved while an AFL tribunal with reports and suspensions should be an interesting inclusion.

So what are Sony bringing to the party then? First of all the game will now take advantage of Sony's Digimask technology which allows gamers to take a photograph of themselves using the EyeToy camera and then have it inserted onto a 3D model to put yourself into the game. That's not all, however.

Players even have different shoes!
Potentially the biggest and most exciting addition to AFL 2006, and one which really surprised everyone, is the promised inclusion of online gameplay. Allowing either co-op gameplay or head-to head this should be a key component to the title and with Sony's input should be silky smooth. Although it sounds like a peer-to-peer game setup we can hope that Sony Australia will also set up some servers to track performances, real world statistics or setting up games although this is not confirmed in any way.

In terms of graphics IR Gurus are promising some major improvements - and it's about time too. The player models will be a lot more realistic with the Digimask being used for key players in each team. We can only hope by key the developers don't mean one or two, but rather the majority of the team. Heritage jumpers will also be included for all 16 teams while the motion capture has been expanded with developers paying particular attention to animation blending - a particular problem in previous titles. Finally the crowds have been given an overhaul for more realism while the nine stadiums will include the new Northern Stand at the MCG which is nearing completion.

This really looks impressive
Sound always plays a major role in ensuring the authenticity, and atmosphere of the game. Denis Commeti, Dermott Brereton and "Dipper" provides the commentary while the national anthem will play prior to finals. No mention has been made of the club theme songs, but if they aren't included, well...

The announcement that Sony will be publishing AFL 2006 comes as a shock for another reason - it really leaves the PC and XBox versions in limbo. Will they even be released? At this stage Sony aren't calling it an exclusive only that "IR Gurus are focused on the production of the PlayStation 2 version, supporting new technologies such as DigiMask and creating game environments appropriate for PlayStation 2 network entertainment". In recent days IR Gurus have even removed the XBox and PC logos from their web site for this game. If IR Gurus are concentrating on this PS2 title for a while longer it leaves little time for the other two systems. Expect a release in mid-2005.

as you can see its looking mighty fine. I seriously think they need to includde EVERY STADIUM used in the current AFL competition. it would also be great to be able to play as classic players like bob skilton etc and a player edit function would mean that you can change the players as new drafts come in. why is it that every sport has a GOOD SIMULATION game but not AFL???

RoosterLad said:
if AFL 06 is like FIFA i will be disgusted, pro evo is better, but this is football is my favourite soccer game by a mile on ps2

Roosterlad you'll be pleased to know IR look to Pro Evo over Fifa when analysing other sports games. There is a thread about it on the Hawk Headquarters website (sorry you'll have to find it).

Now all we need is the execution...

to the guy who said afl live is headin down fifas way....it is in some areas but in the areas fifa is good at (depth, graphics, commentry, animations) AFL live sucks :p

also am i the only 1 that thinks 10 years is hardly a dynasty?

recruit a guy at 18....i'd like to take him till he retires early 30s....not when he is 28 n probably still playin his best footy. though i guess it dun matter in AFL live cos the player attributes (aint there aint many) aint realistic but who cares cos if u are a good video game player u will win nomatter who ya have out there on the park

Archer, thanks mate i'm glad to read that!

MM i agree, 10 years is hardly a dynasty... what happens if you are in your 8th year and you recruit a gun in the draft, you only get a couple of years out of him and thats it, start again??
Being able to change teams would be good... if you wanted a challenge and took over the job at the spooner, you could try and take them to a flag. I agree FIFA is great with depth, AFL Live was as shallow as a kids pool, how about the depth of FIFA + the game play of Pro Evo???

Oh and another thing, which has probably been discussed before, but while we are discussing depth.....

Any chance of local leagues? I would LOVE to control North Adelaide, kick goals with Hargy, take screamers with Gill or Roe. You could then try and get a gig at an AFL team if you want to, lose players to the draft each year, pick up players in the mini draft (which we have in SA). Have your team affected by which AFL-listed players the Crows or Power (or other AFL teams for that matter) choose.

I really doubt that would happen though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RoosterLad said:
Oh and another thing, which has probably been discussed before, but while we are discussing depth.....

Any chance of local leagues? I would LOVE to control North Adelaide, kick goals with Hargy, take screamers with Gill or Roe. You could then try and get a gig at an AFL team if you want to, lose players to the draft each year, pick up players in the mini draft (which we have in SA). Have your team affected by which AFL-listed players the Crows or Power (or other AFL teams for that matter) choose.

I really doubt that would happen though.

That would be a nice feature. Probably too much to ask for this soon

Agree with Jod- actual nuts and bolts of gameplay is far more important than all the bells and whistles (those are nice also, but hey...)

The biggest problem with the previous AFL titles was there simply wasn't enough difference from one game to the next to reflect the incredible variety you see in any given week at the football. The players were all freakishly clean skilled- the kicks always went exactly where they were aimed, players always stood and nailed tough pack marks, never fumbled with disposal or failed to pick up the ball or whatever, so the games were actually very pedestrian.

If I could pick just one thing for the new game to have it would be more realistic marking contests. IRL even the best contested marks in the competition only have about a 1/3 or 1/2 chance of marking it if opposition players are there, competing in the air with them- its just a fact of life that its far tougher to mark than it is to spoil, and unless a forward gets out on a lead so they can take it uncontested. Say its Hall one out on Mal Michael, even if you hit the button at exactly the right time, there should only be a 30 or 40% chance of Bazza marking it- in AFL terms, generally you have to go inside fifty around 12-13 times for 4-5 goals, thats how tough it should actually be.

If they just sorted out the marking and made it realistically difficult, it would make you have to think about moving the ball around to free up players the way AFL teams actually do, or kick to space and rely on crumbers- it would get rid of the yawn-inspiring ruck/kick forward/mark with forward combo that makes it possible to win by about 400 in AFL live '03.

From playing the old version the other day I reckon an area where they can improve is crowd atmosphere. They crowd should ride goals home if they are on target or just gooing to miss. If they miss a large hush should go over. The crowd should be louder for the home team and for away interstate games you should really only hear boo's when your score goals. To make this even better would be able to detect momentum. If your 5 goals behind and you kick a goal there would be an average cheer but if you kick the next three in a hurry the crowd should get louder and louder making the atmosphere rise and increase pressure on the opposition.

I reckon that would be awseome if they could achieve something like that

Nbrown7 said:
From playing the old version the other day I reckon an area where they can improve is crowd atmosphere. They crowd should ride goals home if they are on target or just gooing to miss. If they miss a large hush should go over. The crowd should be louder for the home team and for away interstate games you should really only hear boo's when your score goals. To make this even better would be able to detect momentum. If your 5 goals behind and you kick a goal there would be an average cheer but if you kick the next three in a hurry the crowd should get louder and louder making the atmosphere rise and increase pressure on the opposition.

I reckon that would be awseome if they could achieve something like that

Yep, that would rock. Even better, if you started to get momentum together and the crowd was getting noiser your players should have more 'turbo' to use to run faster or take speccies or whatever, to reflect them getting pumped by the crowd.

Nbrown and Mead - great ideas... that 'turbo' is like the adrenalin rush players get when they are on a roll. If you are playing the comp and they got on one of these rolls, it would make it an even greater challenge to try and keep them out.

We have all thought up some sensational ideas here, but i really dont think many of these will be in the game, which is a pity. Too complicated maybe, but nobody who has made an AFL game so far has really cared about it.

I will eat my words without sauce if im wrong, hopefully that is the case!

RoosterLad said:
Nbrown and Mead - great ideas... that 'turbo' is like the adrenalin rush players get when they are on a roll. If you are playing the comp and they got on one of these rolls, it would make it an even greater challenge to try and keep them out.

We have all thought up some sensational ideas here, but i really dont think many of these will be in the game, which is a pity. Too complicated maybe, but nobody who has made an AFL game so far has really cared about it.

I will eat my words without sauce if im wrong, hopefully that is the case!
Yer I would assume my idea would be bloody hard to achieve with alot work involved but i think nhl hockey achieved that which was really good. We'll wait n see

Spoke with someone at EB games today about it and the game has officially been cancelled. Dont expect to be hearing good news about the game anytime soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006- Sounds awesome!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back