AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Fiery Hawk said:
Demo is due out real soon...it's being manufactured now for release.

On the development side of things we are brainstorming for 2007 and I have all your ideas from this forum collated and in the discussion.

So there will be a PC version?

As online games stores e.g
http://www.gamehead.com.au/product.php?productid=87993
It only mentions ps2 version
Thanks

Well that is Anti competitive and I really have to wonder how the AFL and Sony get around the ACCC with this!

Although last year I heard all the time AFL 2005 was going to PS2 only and low and behold it came out on PC/dvd 3 months after ps2.
If it only is made for PS2, then Irgru are lossing a chunk of their market and will not help it get the funds to make a better game in future and in the end result the AFL will have to consider this, as it is their branding being used.

Maximus76 said:
Hey FH,

Quarter Lengths - Whats the minimum time your have set for Qtrs? Please ensure you have 1 min qtrs as with the dynasty it great to be able to play a quick game - one mistake and you lose...

Tribunal - Whats the Story - will we see replays?

Centre Square - have you thrown out that stupid ruck hub from 2005? (nes was king!) Can we setup formations as with Afl 99 in this version or do the guys just run anywhere again?

Grand Final - Anything different - is there any celebration or just a stupid "Congradulations <Insert Team> on winning the <Insert Year> Premiership" with picture of the Cup.

Energy - Do players gradually slow down as they become tired or do they just stop dead? Is there more chance a tired player will get injured?

Interchange- have you come up with an easy way to change players or do we have to keep stopping the game to change - is their an auto interchange for those who cant be bothered .Would be great in 2007 if you could schedule your changes - ie.. swap if injured automatically, rest Judd from 5-10 minutes mark of third qtr...

Cheers

Quarter Lengths - the quickest quarter is 2 mins and the longest 20 mins.

Tribunal - If you have replays ON in your game options you'll see a replay during the game of a reportable incident. When the game is over and you're in the 'washup' screen you can choose to appeal the charge (if there are 1 or more weeks as the penalty, wouldn't imagine you doing it for a fine). The tribunal deliberates after a little dramatic pause and you can find out if the penalty is increased/decreased or cleared.

Centre Square - The Ruck HUD has been worked on and makes more sense this year. In short you need to stop the arrow in the green area for the best chance to tap/punch the ball. The size of the green area is determined by the quality of your ruckman (taking into account jumping and height attributes).
Yes, you can set up centre bounce formations as well as formations in your fwd50, midfield, def50 and at kick-ins both when you are in attack and defence.

Grand Final - Yes, there is a bonus at the end. Will let you get that far to find out what it is.

Energy - the stamina of players does drop so you'll need to rotate players as their stamina increases at a greater rate when they are on the bench as opposed to sitting in a 'quiet' area of the field. Not so sure about them being more susceptable to injury when tired. It's more of a case of lightly injured players ending up heavily injured if you keep them on the field.

Interchange - Heavily injured players go off the ground immediately whereas any other changes you'll have to make yourself. The havily injured players and any interchanges are made when there is enough time for the player to get off the ground and his replacement come in. They end up back in position if a goal is kicked so as not to allow extra numbers on the field for the opposition.
I like your idea for rotational setups and will look at that for 2007.

FH.

Hey FH,

Just a question about speccy's in '06.

How many different speccy's are there?

Are they realistic? ie. not being able to hang in mid-air for 3 secs with no-one under you - Premiership Edition and '04.

How often do they happen and are they easy/hard to do?

Cheers Mate!

PS. Watchin' the big upset Saturday night against the Swannies??? :thumbsu: :) :thumbsu:

DaSawx said:
I think you missed a question FH :thumbsu:

Not sure if this answers the question but...in Hard I had a few occassions where it was a tackle fest - plenty of people around the ball trying to break free and dispose of the ball. There isn't any stacks-on-the-mill action as such but it can get pretty willing in certain places like the middle.

illnino said:
Hey FH,

Just a question about speccy's in '06.

How many different speccy's are there?

Are they realistic? ie. not being able to hang in mid-air for 3 secs with no-one under you - Premiership Edition and '04.

How often do they happen and are they easy/hard to do?

Cheers Mate!

PS. Watchin' the big upset Saturday night against the Swannies??? :thumbsu: :) :thumbsu:

Speccies are pretty damn hard to perform (well for me anyway) and I guess that's a good thing. You really have to get your timing sorted. The marking hud is as follows (will try my best to explain);

There's basically three circled rings you need to worry about...
1. A large ring that represents you and contracts in size allowing you to press your choice of button at the right time to execute a mark. It scales down to fit the other two rings.
2. A ring around the marking contest that represents the optimum time to press for a regular mark or punch.
3. A ring just outside that that represents the optimum time to press for a specky.

Should your button press be out of time you probably will be outmarked. In Hard you really have to concentrate on taking marks. It helps so much...

With regards to how often a Specky happens...considering the time the ring representing you takes to reach the Specky ring is very small you really have to be quick to take one. The AI are capable of taking them but they will definitely take one if your timing is way out. In general though they just out mark you.

There are no more speccies taken in the air with no one underneath.

Hawks vs Swans...er...yeah...might just catch that one at home. Hoping we ruin their season like Geelong's...ha!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's Gold FH. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

1 more though,

How often will 2-3 players go up for a mark with no-one being able to catch it?(with both players trying to mark, not spoil)

I know it probably comes down to players timing their marks, but once players master the timing and get really good, is there still a chance that in a marking contest, both players will drop the ball?

Tough one to explain but its just that in AFL, alot of the time no-one marks the ball when players go up for the grab, but in all the previous AFL games it has been near impossible for a mark not to take place when the pack flies.

Thanx again!

illnino said:
That's Gold FH. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

1 more though,

How often will 2-3 players go up for a mark with no-one being able to catch it?(with both players trying to mark, not spoil)

I know it probably comes down to players timing their marks, but once players master the timing and get really good, is there still a chance that in a marking contest, both players will drop the ball?

Tough one to explain but its just that in AFL, alot of the time no-one marks the ball when players go up for the grab, but in all the previous AFL games it has been near impossible for a mark not to take place when the pack flies.

Thanx again!

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across

Yeh thats a good point, you often see the ball just spill free from marking contests and also sometimes a player in the open going for the chest mark gets lazy and spills what should have been an easy mark.

Perhaps this should be implemented when the timing of players going for marks is well out and perhaps in a marking contest when both player marking HUDs negate each other equally and neither has front or best position.

Perhaps something in regards to Form could be implemented as well?? Pro Evo Soccer 5 does it well with a simple arrow system whereby u can see when a player in firing and you want to be getting the ball to him, something like that could be useful as form is a big part of AFL on a weekly basis.

One other thought from a game i'm playing, NBA 2K5 a good little thing is the way u can set up your favourite plays on defense and offence, and then during the game quickly call them into play making your own personal judgement on what would be best.

I hope something like this is in the game as well, where by players can make there choices from several different plays in diff areas and situations as they see fit and on the fly so as not to stop or slow the game.

roguless54 said:
Perhaps something in regards to Form could be implemented as well?? Pro Evo Soccer 5 does it well with a simple arrow system whereby u can see when a player in firing and you want to be getting the ball to him, something like that could be useful as form is a big part of AFL on a weekly basis.

Didn't they do that in AFL 99?

Fiery Hawk said:
That could be right. To be honest I don't know.

I'm not disputing that you don't know but i find it weird that you actually don't know. I mean you had to work on it and had deadlines, surely you have SOME idea as to when it may be released.

Anyway, the game will be an improvement IF all said things are included, i'll check it out but if it is a crock of s*** i honestly won't be suprised.

remind said:
Well that is Anti competitive and I really have to wonder how the AFL and Sony get around the ACCC with this!...

Compared to the AFL/Telstra website deal?
This is nothing.

It's only anti-competitive if nobody else is allowed to make an AFL game. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, although it may be.

If it only is made for PS2, then Irgru are lossing a chunk of their market and will not help it get the funds to make a better game in future and in the end result the AFL will have to consider this, as it is their branding being used.

Funding? Sony put three times the cash into it that Acclaim did, or at least as soon as Sony came on board IRG hired a bunch more programmers for the project.

Sony wants this franchise to sell PS2s, and probably PS3 and PSP as well, although I don't know anything about that. Funding they have.

Guys, sorry - I haven't been keeping completely up to date with this thread. But what is the current information regarding release dates on PS2? Are we talking later this year?

Mid year? Wow - not too far away! Can anyone provide a quick rundown of the game's expected/confirmed features yet, or do we not know yet at this stage? :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back