AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

roguless54 said:
Yeh thats a good point, you often see the ball just spill free from marking contests and also sometimes a player in the open going for the chest mark gets lazy and spills what should have been an easy mark.

Perhaps this should be implemented when the timing of players going for marks is well out and perhaps in a marking contest when both player marking HUDs negate each other equally and neither has front or best position.

Perhaps something in regards to Form could be implemented as well?? Pro Evo Soccer 5 does it well with a simple arrow system whereby u can see when a player in firing and you want to be getting the ball to him, something like that could be useful as form is a big part of AFL on a weekly basis.

One other thought from a game i'm playing, NBA 2K5 a good little thing is the way u can set up your favourite plays on defense and offence, and then during the game quickly call them into play making your own personal judgement on what would be best.

I hope something like this is in the game as well, where by players can make there choices from several different plays in diff areas and situations as they see fit and on the fly so as not to stop or slow the game.

Form won't come into play until 2007. We have been discussing this but it could mean simulating a reserves competition as well in order to generate form for players not in the starting 22. Then again there are other alternatives like 'steady' form for 3 weeks and then after that players who aren't getting a game are down on form...I dunno. We really are in the early stages of sorting anything like that out but are definitely looking at it.

Hopefully in 2007 the tactical setups are editable. This would allow you to custom make your attacking/balanced/defensive setups in all areas of the ground.

Tactical changes can be made on-the-fly in this years game. You can also change them in the pause menu.

illnino said:
That's Gold FH. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

1 more though,

How often will 2-3 players go up for a mark with no-one being able to catch it?(with both players trying to mark, not spoil)

I know it probably comes down to players timing their marks, but once players master the timing and get really good, is there still a chance that in a marking contest, both players will drop the ball?

Tough one to explain but its just that in AFL, alot of the time no-one marks the ball when players go up for the grab, but in all the previous AFL games it has been near impossible for a mark not to take place when the pack flies.

Thanx again!

The theory on marking/spoiling is that firstly timing gets taken into account, then the jumping ability of the player and then the marking ability. So you need to time it so you are in the contest, hope your guy can get great elevation and then hope he's the best at marking out of the guys going up. Spoiling ability is determined using the marking attribute which means players can just as easily spoil as mark it.
So there are a lot of factors that determine marking/spoiling.

Players vying for the mark won't mark it if all miss-time the button press. I think input assist in the options aids you in marking a bit but I'm not sure as I turn that off when I play.

If like you said both players time it right there will always be a winner as one of them in theory should out-rate the other and take the mark. The only exception is if one goes for the mark and the other the spoil and the one who spoils is better rated.

Hope this answers your questions. I agree it's hard to get across...hopefully the demo will answer any immediate questions in that area.

Fiery Hawk said:
If like you said both players time it right there will always be a winner as one of them in theory should out-rate the other and take the mark. The only exception is if one goes for the mark and the other the spoil and the one who spoils is better rated.

Hope this answers your questions. I agree it's hard to get across...hopefully the demo will answer any immediate questions in that area.

Maybe you should have the ball spill every time unless the player marking the balls' mark rating is at a certain percentage greater than his opponents rating.

The ball spills from marking contests all the time in the AFL and it would be fun to try to win the ball first from spillages instead of teams possibly taking mark after mark after mark.

I think a number of people have hit the nail on the head inregards to the ball spilling from the packs/marking situations - this would allow the game to flow much better and i believe the game would start to feel like a game of footy rather than stop/start/stop/start.

I dont know how you will balance this but at a guess the marking skill should not be judged directly on outmarking someone but also on how likely you are to hold a tough mark ie. Q.Lynch will drop chest marks out on his own and J.Brown (who is one of the best pack/one on one mark) will still spill 30% of his chances - even though he is bigger and a better mark.

By adding the spillages the little dudes will get a chance to have a real purpose in the game - so you cant just pick a tall good marking forward line as opposed to a well balance forward line - ie Collingwood (oww that hurt to say)

DaSawx said:
Maybe you should have the ball spill every time unless the player marking the balls' mark rating is at a certain percentage greater than his opponents rating.

The ball spills from marking contests all the time in the AFL and it would be fun to try to win the ball first from spillages instead of teams possibly taking mark after mark after mark.

Exactly.....however I guess we can only hope this is include next year.

Maximus76 said:
I think a number of people have hit the nail on the head inregards to the ball spilling from the packs/marking situations - this would allow the game to flow much better and i believe the game would start to feel like a game of footy rather than stop/start/stop/start.

I dont know how you will balance this but at a guess the marking skill should not be judged directly on outmarking someone but also on how likely you are to hold a tough mark ie. Q.Lynch will drop chest marks out on his own and J.Brown (who is one of the best pack/one on one mark) will still spill 30% of his chances - even though he is bigger and a better mark.

By adding the spillages the little dudes will get a chance to have a real purpose in the game - so you cant just pick a tall good marking forward line as opposed to a well balance forward line - ie Collingwood (oww that hurt to say)

Yes it appears we all wernt really thinking properly back when we were making suggestions for this years game.

I'm starting to think that it could be the key to a successful AFL game. Wat do you think Fiery Hawk? Can you have a chat to the Guru boys about implementing more dropped, contested marks for next years?

Maximus76 said:
Hey FH,

Quarter Lengths - Whats the minimum time your have set for Qtrs? Please ensure you have 1 min qtrs as with the dynasty it great to be able to play a quick game - one mistake and you lose...

Also i reckon we need a three minute quarter one day. Two minute quarters are too short (8 minute games) and five minute quarters sometimes too long (20 minute games). We need something in between.

illnino said:
Yes it appears we all wernt really thinking properly back when we were making suggestions for this years game.

I'm starting to think that it could be the key to a successful AFL game. Wat do you think Fiery Hawk? Can you have a chat to the Guru boys about implementing more dropped, contested marks for next years?

Glad this has come up. One of the more entertaining aspects of AFL games (all of them) has been when the ball spills to the ground in the forward 50. There is nothing more exciting then snapping a goal with your forward pocket in a congestion of players, or alternatively tackling a player at the last second when he was about to slot one through. With more spillages this would happen in theory more often. I really hope 2006 brings a bit more of this into it, and that we can begin to finetune dynamics such as this in future versions of the game.

I hope.

nonchalance said:
Compared to the AFL/Telstra website deal?
This is nothing.

It's only anti-competitive if nobody else is allowed to make an AFL game. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, although it may be.

Funding? Sony put three times the cash into it that Acclaim did, or at least as soon as Sony came on board IRG hired a bunch more programmers for the project.

Sony wants this franchise to sell PS2s, and probably PS3 and PSP as well, although I don't know anything about that. Funding they have.
Written without Prejudice
I've read and heard the words Sony has Exclusive rights to make the AFL computer game, (also means restricted, limited) which by definition means no one else can make an AFL game. These words have by memory appeared in this very forum!
If I am wrong, then get the proof that I am! And I will happly withdraw my comments.

remind said:
Written without Prejudice
I've read and heard the words Sony has Exclusive rights to make the AFL computer game, (also means restricted, limited) which by definition means no one else can make an AFL game. These words have by memory appeared in this very forum!
If I am wrong, then get the proof that I am! And I will happly withdraw my comments.

You probably arent wrong technically but it is way out of the anti competitive concept. They arent forcing you to buy the product and they arent giving the product away as part of any package. Games are produced all the time for PS only or Xbox only. No different there.

Id love the game on the Xbox and I still believe its a chance but Im not going to hold my breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

illnino said:
Yeh. For those of you who actually bought Bill Gate's ****-box.

Dont be so narrow minded. Its a disappointed for everyone who doesnt have a PS2. A lot of PC gamers will be upset too. Its a stupid decision and I hope it fails on Sony's part.

Fiery Hawk said:
Spoiling ability is determined using the marking attribute which means players can just as easily spoil as mark it.

So you're just as likely to take a mark as to spoil? What's the point of spoiling, if it's equally easy to mark the ball?

Borgsta said:
You probably arent wrong technically but it is way out of the anti competitive concept. They arent forcing you to buy the product and they arent giving the product away as part of any package. Games are produced all the time for PS only or Xbox only.

I agree that console exclusives aren't anti-competitive - certainly they're annoying, but it's understandable.

It is anti-competitive not to allow anyone else to make a competing product, though. Other companies SHOULD be allowed to make AFL games, if they put the time and effort in.

nonchalance said:
I agree that console exclusives aren't anti-competitive - certainly they're annoying, but it's understandable.

It is anti-competitive not to allow anyone else to make a competing product, though. Other companies SHOULD be allowed to make AFL games, if they put the time and effort in.

As far as i know, they are allowed to. Just without the player names and team names. Much like Pro Evo 2-4.

nonchalance said:
So you're just as likely to take a mark as to spoil? What's the point of spoiling, if it's equally easy to mark the ball?

Exactly what i was thinking. If it comes down to numbers then no one will spoil. Make it almost random, or better yet go on the postion of the players, man in front will have better chance etc, or are all the contest animations exactly the same?

illnino said:
Lol. Dude, there not gonna bring the game out on X-box cause 22 people on some random thread want them to.
:confused:

Hi Dude

I'm was not talking about xbox results, I was talking about the PC results.

Lol!!

Hi all. here is a argurment for the people at I R G to think about.
If there is a market for V8 supercars large enough that it's designer / publisher feel a PC, ps2 and Xbox version is worth it and is bought out at the same time and in time for the new season, then surely AFL can be as well!!:

remind said:
Hi all. here is a argurment for the people at I R G to think about.
If there is a market for V8 supercars large enough that it's designer / publisher feel a PC, ps2 and Xbox version is worth it and is bought out at the same time and in time for the new season, then surely AFL can be as well!!:

Difference is V8 Supercars is a car racing game, which will appeal to all racing car fans, whether they are huge fans of V8's or not. But AFL is very specific to us, and for everyone who don't like AFL they arn't going to buy it. The target audience for V8's is still larger sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back