AFL 2020 Fixture Wishlist

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL isn't a professional competition In your eyes?
I'm not sure how their fixture/draw works (do they have a conference?), I've never watched it to be honest. I'm just talking in terms of me personally finding uneven fixtures hard to take seriously for a sporting competition. If it was purely an entertainment industry (it feels like it sadly) then whatever, make up any rules. But for a fair outcome with a ladder that is truly representing the season? No.

Failing that, a 17 game h&a season. Play an opponent at home one year and away the next.

I've never understood why people argue for this as if it makes a season significantly fairer. The premiership isn't given out over two years.

I think we do the double trip to Perth the most out of any club.

First of all, we've travelled to Perth for Fremantle every year since 2010. The last 9 years straight and 13 out of the last 14 season. I'd like to skip that please.

Also only missed the double to Sydney 3 times since GWS came in (Sydney 2012, GWS 2016, Sydney 2018).
Probably going to play Sydney twice so please no trip to Giants stadium.

I think we do the double trip to Perth the most out of any club.

First of all, we've travelled to Perth for Fremantle every year since 2010. The last 9 years straight and 13 out of the last 14 season. I'd like to skip that please.

Also only missed the double to Sydney 3 times since GWS came in (Sydney 2012, GWS 2016, Sydney 2018).
Probably going to play Sydney twice so please no trip to Giants stadium.
I'm fine with going to Perth twice, all the non-Vic teams away for that matter, so long as its a home game before and after. No more of this Brisbane then Perth the following weekend bullshit.

I'm fine with going to Perth twice, all the non-Vic teams away for that matter, so long as its a home game before and after. No more of this Brisbane then Perth the following weekend bullshit.
Yeah but when there's Collingwood who have only done the double trip to Perth twice in their whole existence (2002, 1996), something's gotta give. We did it 9 times in the last 13 years.

They can't use playing Sydney in Sydney every year as an excuse because Essendon does that as well.

Yeah but when there's Collingwood who have only done the double trip to Perth twice in their whole existence (2002, 1996), something's gotta give. We did it 9 times in the last 13 years.

They can't use playing Sydney in Sydney every year as an excuse because Essendon does that as well.

How many times has Essendon gone down to Kardinia in the last 20 years? Or to Tasmania?

It makes it much fairer.

How though?

Like, say it got introduced next year. Richmond and Geelong are both a high premiership chance, Richmond get Brisbane, West Coast, GWS at the G and get 3 wins from it. Geelong play them all away and get O wins. Richmond has benefited from that, gets 3 more wins, get the double chance that Geelong don't and wins the premiership.

Sure, next year it goes the opposite way, Geelong get the 3 of them at home and Richmond get them away, but, there's a million other factors going on in any season. It's not going to guarantee that, all of a sudden, Geelong now get the double chance. Or even that they will do well.

There's so much luck in a season, even this system would be all luck. It doesn't make it instantly fairer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times has Collingwood?

I actually want us to play in KP.

Both Essendon & Collingwood should play in both Tasmania & Geelong more regularly... especially as Richmond does.

How though?

Like, say it got introduced next year. Richmond and Geelong are both a high premiership chance, Richmond get Brisbane, West Coast, GWS at the G and get 3 wins from it. Geelong play them all away and get O wins. Richmond has benefited from that, gets 3 more wins, get the double chance that Geelong don't and wins the premiership.

Sure, next year it goes the opposite way, Geelong get the 3 of them at home and Richmond get them away, but, there's a million other factors going on in any season. It's not going to guarantee that, all of a sudden, Geelong now get the double chance. Or even that they will do well.

There's so much luck in a season, even this system would be all luck. It doesn't make it instantly fairer.

Using this season as an example, no team would get Gold Coast, Melbourne etc twice, it's not so much playing opponents home or away, that's just how it would naturally work, it's about playing each opponent once and that's it. No soft or hard draws, you just play each other once.

Both Essendon & Collingwood should play in both Tasmania & Geelong more regularly... especially as Richmond does.
We don’t need to play in Tasmania until there’s a Tasmanian team. North and Hawthorn (the clubs) wouldn’t want to play us there anyway.

Geelong should be getting 11 KP games.

Imagine how sweet it would be if everyone just played eachother once. And if its home one year its away the following year.
What would people talk about?
I guess what time of year the clashes occur.
we haven’t played team xx in round 6 for years.
why do we always get team xx in opening round.
how come we always seem to play team xx after we play team yy.

The least you can say about the fixture is that every team has had a home and away game against every other team in the last 8 seasons since GWS entered the comp.

There are a few surprises in the least and most commonly fixtured games.

Only one occurrence:

Adelaide v Carlton
Collingwood v Sydney
Melbourne v Carlton
Melbourne v Essendon

Only 2 occurrences:

Adelaide v Brisbane
Carlton v Freo
Gold Coast v Hawthorn
Gold Coast v WB
Hawthorn v Essendon
Melbourne v Geelong
North Melb v Collingwood
Richmond v North Melb
St Kilda v Port Adelaide

At the other end of the scale:

8 occurences (every year since 2012)

Adelaide v Port
Port v Adelaide
West Coast v Freo
Freo v West Coast
Sydney v GWS
GWS v Sydney
Brisbane v Gold Coast
Gold Coast v Brisbane

Carlton v Adelaide
Carlton v Melbourne
Collingwood v Essendon
Collingwood v Geelong
Collingwood v West Coast
Essendon v Hawthorn
Fremantle v Essendon
Geelong v Hawthorn
Hawthorn v Gold Coast
Melbourne v Collingwood
Melbourne v Fremantle
Richmond v Carlton
Richmond v Essendon
St Kilda v Carlton
St Kilda v Melbourne
Sydney v Collingwood
Sydney v Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions

The frequency of each matchup since GWS entered the comp:

1571377248065.png

Shout out to Melbourne, who are still averaging more than 1 home game a year against Collingwood. 120 seasons, 121 home games v the Pies.

This is despite there being only (by my count) 42 seasons out of those 120 where teams were guaranteed a home game against every team.

I hope we play Brisbane in Melbourne, Geelong in Geelong and Essendon twice.
The lions will probably do us but I fancy our chances down the highway. As for Essendon...well, I hate them more than anyone 😉

I think to make the fixture fair, we should play every single game in Perth for a year. That would make it fair for WCE fans, then we do Geelong for a year, then Adelaide, then Sydney, then Brisbane, then Tasmania (for North and Hawthorn supporters), then the MCG, then we rinse the cycle again. Only then will we have a fair and equitable draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2020 Fixture Wishlist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back