Opinion AFL 2024 Finals Week 1 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

And we're off! As with every year, we saw that some teams are built to play finals, and there are others that go missing on the big stage. Let's wrap...

Port v Geelong, Thursday night: Maybe next year we should all go to Port Adelaide’s Halloween party dressed as a final. They’re “scary”, according to Ken. Judging by how his players performed in this game (and how ashen-faced they looked at half time when they were technically still in it) maybe he’s right. Just goes to show that regular season form counts for little when September rolls around. Port were set up beautifully for a soft run into the Grand Final; instead it turns out they were just soft. Meanwhile I keep saying I don’t rate Geelong and they keep on proving me wrong. A team that is better than the sum of its parts, that’s for sure.

1725711980823.png

Dogs v Hawks, Friday night: Magic supernatural cosmic forces. How else do you explain Hawthorn’s transformation since they were 1-6 after 7 rounds? I wonder if there’s a stat for the fastest improved side in history. The Hawks are now one win against a shell-shocked opponent from barnstorming their way into a preliminary final. Even those of us who were impressed with the early stages of their rebound in the middle part of the season couldn’t possibly have seen that coming. Anyway… the Dogs were up and about in the first quarter, and those who’d said they were “the best team in it” and that they’d be too finals-hardened for the young Hawks would have been chuckling to themselves. But the mystic forces working with the brown and gold were too great to be resisted. Don’t bother trying to get on a flight to Adelaide this week, they’ll already be sold out.

1725712052154.png

Swans v Giants, Saturday arvo: It promised to be the best matchup of the weekend, and so it was. The Giants were too good for most of the game and helped themselves to hefty leads at numerous stages, but the slow-starting Swans pulled off the big steal. Isaac Heeney took on GWS by himself, took mark of the day, kicked goal of the day, had a million contested possessions, and finally in the last term he found a few allies to help him out. Heartbreaking stuff for the Giants, but if they keeping playing like that they’ll remain right in the flag hunt. Gotta love finals footy. This was a classic.

1725712087036.png

Lions v Blues, Saturday night: Hm. Actually maybe you don't have to love finals footy. This one was fairly ordinary, but kudos to Brisbane for setting up a big early lead and then sitting on it for the rest of the night. The Blues did well not to be blown away and in fact played quite well in the second half, but it was too little too late. Fascinating matchup between the Lions and Giants next week... anyone's guess as to which way that one goes.

1725712193662.png

Don't forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated below... along with any other thoughts you had from the first round of finals!

Liked: Swans v Giants - the only close final in week 1. Not the result I wanted, but some awesome moments for both sides.

Learnt: The ladder, although suggesting teams were close based on win/loss record, was not anywhere near accurate due to the inconsistencies within the draw - more than I expected.

Hated: Giants players not sticking to the basics in the final quarter (Lachie Ash no-look over the shoulder handpass and that last kick, getting constantly beaten with 2 on 1 advantage, Himmelberg falling over). Toby Greene's form - his head is not right. Coniglio is only being picked on reputation. The lack of contest in the other 3 games.

Liked: That 4th qtr in sydney. Was cheering for the G-Men but it was hard not to be excited with the crowd going boonta like that
Peak-AFL.

Learnt: Isaac Heeney can fill the " AFL's Apex-Predator " role vacated by the just retired Dustin Martin if he wanted to

Hated: Bending of knees and throwing back of heads

Learnt - Top 4 is settled - Cats, Swans, Hawks and Giants…Lions are pretenders.

Liked - Swans v Giants was match of the year
Mitchell and Scotts coaching

Hated - our performances (embarrassing), lead by the coaching/selection
Cam Rayner grinding his elbow into Newmans head whilst on the ground, in front of the ump, who did nothing.

Liked: Sydney vs GWS, cracking game. Carlton losing as expected - but getting spanked even better. Hawthorn have the belief, exciting to watch.
Jezza Cameron, would LOVE to have him in our side.

Learnt: Very very open year. Reckon of the remaining sides only Port can’t win it. Dogs were extremely dissapointing for their supporters on Friday night.
Carlton far off the pack.

Hated: Not much. Good results all round.

Last edited:
Meanwhile I keep saying I don’t rate Geelong and they keep on proving me wrong. A team that is better than the sum of its parts, that’s for sure.

View attachment 2104465

For that now famous Cameron photo, I've been trying to find a Simpsons gif of when Lisa becomes Little Miss Springfield and is giving a speech at halftime of a college football game and she announces that college athletics takes away funds from academic programs and the nerds storm the field making that nasally Simpsons nerd "Ehhhhhhhhhh" sound. No luck so far.

For that now famous Cameron photo, I've been trying to find a Simpsons gif of when Lisa becomes Little Miss Springfield and is giving a speech at halftime of a college football game and she announces that college athletics takes away funds from academic programs and the nerds storm the field making that nasally Simpsons nerd "Ehhhhhhhhhh" sound. No luck so far.
It’s a great image hey. Reminded me of this one in the QF back in 2006

1725751763117.jpeg

Here somewhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: The insane last quarter between the swans & giants. Our under-sized defence towelling up the dogs much publicised tall forwards.

Learnt: time to put Toby in the midfield. Port & Dogs (always known) simply cannot be trusted.
Some lions players prefer to hear their own music rather than give it off to a player in a better position.

Hated: Not Much...oh wait..the continual talk about "If We had a wild card round"....the bottom 10 had 24 weeks to make the finals.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked: A great win by the Cats, i thought they would do well as they won the lottery playing Port first up

Learnt: Never pick the Dogs again no matter what happens in 2025

Hated: Terrible Blues performance, the Lions took their foot off the pedal at half time and i suppose you can't blame them.

Liked: The variation of sides in the finals. From Sydney and Geelong who back up most years. To GWS and Brisbane who've been there a while chasing that elusive flag. To Hawthorn rising with a bullet.

Learnt: The season being wide open not only makes this an attainable flag for all left but also makes this a season where being content with making it is stupid. This premiership is up for grabs, everyone should be desperate to take it. Clubs like GWS, Bris, Carl could soon see their windows end with the impending rise of Hawthorn.

Hated: Waiting a weekend for this to start. Hate the pre-finals bye.

Liked: Hawthorn showing fight
Learnt: The Bulldogs and Blues just making up the numbers, like the big bad wolf huffing and puffing but failing to blow any straw houses down. Also learnt that Bontempelli is not a big time player.
Hated: 6 more days until the semi finals :p
Your pointed silence on the Swans’ incredible win has not gone unnoticed.

It’s a great image hey. Reminded me of this one in the QF back in 2006

View attachment 2104783

The number of people who go with the tried and true middle finger always slays me, like the Port supporter wearing glasses from Thursday night who looked like he said "w***er" to Jeremy Cameron. It's bizarre to me that those appear to be such common crowd reactions to an opponent who's just made a spectacular play.

Does it make you feel better? No. Does it make the opposition player feel worse? Um, no... probably the opposite. So what's the point?

Last edited:
Liked: Thursday night. Last time we won a qualifying final with a thrashing anywhere near that was 2007.

Learnt: Not like I'm guaranteeing it or anything. The opportunity for the Cats to have a smash and grab premiership is real. A guaranteed home state advantage for the Preliminary final and 67% chance for a home state advantage in the Grand Final is enormous. Continuing the 2007 theme, it was a similar feeling (albeit for different reasons) after the QF, the "holy crap, we actually have a great chance to win it all here". I can't recall that happening in any of our other PF appearances: it's always been suffocating expectations and pressure.

Hated: I was really hoping the 20s would end the streak of "at least one premiership every decade" for Hawthorn. Looks like that's at serious risk now, whether or not they go all the way this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Finals Week 1 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back