Opinion AFL 2024 Round 21 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes me sad because I've always liked Marshall

Just doesn't fit in the current setup. I personally don't think much of him as a player - majority of his games he's rather invisible. Does a few nice things with the footy but doesn't get near enough of the ball to make an impact either. And he rarely, if ever wins a 50/50 contest.

His skill set is one who has the height of a tall but not the requisite body frame to handle bigger defenders. He gets out-bodied in physical contests when playing as a tall, but he also doesn't apply enough pressure if he were to take a small forward's role either.

Hawthorn were offering him 1M per year and he stayed at Port instead on a long term deal still on good money but still quite some distance from the Hawthorn figure. I'm sure in hindsight given he can't get into the team now that he'd rather have taken the Hawthorn deal, and I wonder whether Port would have been happy to get a comp pick for him and sever ties as well.

I think if Esava is doing well with Mitch doing well. A fit Marshall is better than an unfit Dixon
He doesn’t draw 2-3 defenders to free up space like Dixon.

Add to that his horrible kicking this year, he’s not an upgrade on Dixon, even if Dixon is an overrated peg legged pirate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 21 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back