Opinion AFL 2024 Grand Final - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: The genuine delight Oscar McInerney had for his teammates. Many in his position have sooked it. He was awesome
Leaned: Sydney aren't much good on the big stage. Time for a new coach
Hated: Game was over half way through the 2nd

Liked - The full circle of Ashcroft missing the finals last year only to come back and be huge on Grand Final Day and last week in his first Prelim. Somehow underrated and doesn't get spoken of in the same vein as the likes of young guns like Daicos, Sheezel or Gulden. Absolute jet.

Hated - Another trash Grand Final. People love to hate the Pies, but how often has a GF involving the Pies been boring? Showing up on Grand Final Day is undervalued and the Swans consistently forget to get off the plane. Turning into a joke club.

Loved - Sitting next to your average Swans supporter at the pub. Acted like diehard supporters in the first quarter, spent the next 3 talking about their favourite shows on Netflix. As someone from Sydney, GWS has a smaller following, but it would take 10 Swans supporters to make up the support 1 GWS supporter brings. They are frauds. So many bandwagon w*nkers in Sydney with fresh scarves now heading to landfill.
Roos said it years ago that Sydney fans aren't as tribal as Melbourne fans with their clubs.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked: Fagan getting his premiership..deserved it after all the crap he has been through over the last 2 years. Daniher becoming a premiership player always liked that bloke.

Learnt: Sydney's game plan exposed again against a team that scores heavily and quickly in a GF.

Hated: The commentators and camera angles and fireworks at 1.30 in the afternoon...not a intelligent decision by someone at AFL HQ.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like : Robbie Fox . Everyone else need diapers .

Learnt : You cannot win a comp with just a midfield and a couple of small forwards .

Hate : The narrative around Longmire’s GF record . Chris Scott has won 3 from 9 prelim finals and is only lucky that he had to play us in the GF in 22.

Longmire decision making needs to be questioned but it has nothing to do with his record in GF’s .

Swans have always been mentally weak away from the SCG.

Their backline and forward line is not good at all. If their midfield doesn’t fire, they are exposed very quickly.

Liked: Everything about the Lions. the most likeable premiership team in a very long time
Learnt: Sydney do not have a finals game plan.. way too open.. not like the Sydney teams of 2005-2012 where their defensive game plan won those flags.
Hated: Neale not hitting the scoreboard and maybe getting af ew more touches.. cost me $$$ on the Norm smith lol

Liked: Young guns performing on the big stage & being key parts . Lohman, Wilmot, Ashcroft, Morris- The games in good hands

Learnt : Lions could be set up for a few flags in next few years if they address their minor deficiencies. What are they lacking in ? Good question. Daniher didnt even fire,

Hated: All year Sydney being talked up of this ultimate team , was plain as day they would fall come finals time. Lets make it more interesting, if a team's down by 40 at half time , one of the prelim teams can come out and contest the second half.

Sydney is going to have some mental scarring that's almost irreparable. The way Rampe spoke about 2022 in the outgoing speech , just shows this already

Sorry you’ve probably had a few beers today so I’ll try and spell it out for you. I’d rather win a few flags over a short amount of time and then fall out of finals for a while and not challenge rather than challenge consistently but have nothing to show for it.
I constantly hear what an awesome club Sydney are because they make finals all the time, what’s the use of making finals if you can’t win a flag?

it also costs an absolute fortune in final and grand final tickets

Imagine spending all that money and losing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like: Fagan getting a flag. Great to see a truly good person earn success. How genuinely excited Oscar was for Fort.

Hate: Swans ruining 2 GFs in 3yrs. How hard is it to at least turn up and compete? Bunch of soft Bondi boys who go missing when things get a bit hard.

Learnt: Swans are mentally cooked. If your club makes a GF you're hoping the opposition is Sydney.
I’ll steal your three as my three as they basically align, and I couldn’t have phrased the liked category better than you.

I’d add to the hated category the Channel 7 commentary team. They sound like what the old Channel 9 cricket commentators would sound like, if they were still commentating today (and they were past it when channel 9 lost the cricket).

To the learnt bit, I’d add that Sydney needs a ruthless and transparent review of how it goes about things in GFs, and a good dose of humble pie for next year (Gulden and others speaking about multiple premierships was arrogant and disrespectful to the other teams, not to mention to histrionics when Heeney got suspended, etc).

Liked : weather
Learnt: Swans are not fit for grand finals at all and giving the much infamous colliwobbles a run for its money
Hated: Not really hated anything but was a boring grand final and lack luster feel

I loved the whole Brisbane redemption story. 0-3, injuries, Fagan's struggles, written off, finals comeback, redemption for the squad, the young stars standing up. I wanted Brisbane to win, but also wanted a close game, but when the Lions started to maul them I really didn't mind, it was entertaining seeing a smashing like that. A more ferocious display I haven't seen in a gf since..well only 2 years ago.

Learnt the Lions could be a dynasty if things go right for them, and it reconfirmed what I said about the Swans having a soft underbelly and relying too much on stars. Got a lot of work to do to be contenders and exorcise these gf demons. I don't know if Horse is the man for the job but huge changes are needed.

Liked:Ah Chee’s running bounce goal
Learnt:When Daniher celebrates a goal, it is the best celebration in the AFL.
Hated: That Fagan didn’t lift the cup on the stage.

Learnt

Longmire and the Swans arrived at the MCG in a fancy yacht from Sydney Harbour filled with champagne .

Fagan and the Lions rocked up with a humble fishing boat from North Straddie filled with Bundy and Coke.

Result speaks for itself

Last edited:
Liked: Birssy winning, especially after last year, a likeable team that is stacked and fun to watch. Love it for Fagen they have been there abouts for some time now, so its great to see them get their reward.

Learnt: Ashcroft after a year out, I knew he was good, but he really took that next step on the big stage, was fantastic to watch. With all their injuries you would only expect Brissy to be even better next year.

Hated: Swans not showing up yet again when it really matters. Wild to think that the first half of the year they looked invincible. and after the bye the cracks started to show. Were lucky to beat GWS and looked far from convincing from about round 16.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Grand Final - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back