Opinion AFL 2024 Round 19 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Epic round with plenty to digest... no time to waste, let's wrap!

Bombers v Crows, Friday night: Fun fact… the Bombers are in the middle of an 11 week stretch where they don’t have to leave Melbourne once. No such thing as advantages to big Victorian teams though right? Well maybe not, since it didn’t help them beat a bottom 5 side. Poor old Brad Scott must be slowly realising it’s going to take more than some nice alliteration to get this team to find an edge. Panic stations now.

Giants v Suns, Saturday arvo: Another spiritless Suns away performance. They actually dominated a bunch of key stats in the first half but found the howling Homebush gale tricky to handle and missed their shots on goal. That’s all it took for their heads to drop. The Giants savaged them in the second half.

1721554520013.png

Saints v Eagles, Saturday arvo: Yeah sorry but I don’t watch Ross Lyon teams. Did they win? That’s nice.

Hawks v Pies, Saturday twilight: Two sides heading in completely opposite directions. The plucky young Hawks looked to be enjoying every moment, while the stale old (and in fairness, injury-hit) Pies looked like they just wanted their season to be over. Reckon they’ll have their wish shortly.

1721554440919.png

Cats v Dogs, Saturday night: I’ve been critical of the Doggies up and down form all year, but their last two weeks have been sensational. Another big test next round but they’re finally looking up for it. Dirty night for the Cats but their form prior was strong; no alarm bells quite yet.

Port v Tigers, Saturday night: Nothing much to see here. The Tigers did well sticking with Port for long stretches, but the home side pulled away late. Reckon the next four weeks against strong opposition will tell us a fair bit about the Power.

Lions v Swans, Sunday arvo: In glorious sunshine at the Gabba, did we see the grand final preview? The Swans had their chances to bury the home side in the middle quarters but fluffed their lines in front of goal, and the Lions took advantage. Time will tell if Sydney can reverse that result in a rematch.

Freo v Demons, Sunday arvo: What a luxury to have twin towers Darcy and Jackson against no ruckman Harrison Petty. The Dockers ended up mauling the weakened Dees and have worked their way back into the top 4 now. Might have come at a cost with that injury to Pearce, though.

Blues v North, Sunday twilight: Big effort from the young Roos against one of the premiership fancies. After a couple of losses in a row the Blues simply had to put a win on the board. They did that, but not without resistance.

Don't forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated below... along with any other thoughts you had about round 19!

Definitely going to be a straight sets team this year
Ooooh controversial!

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

Epic round with plenty to digest... no time to waste, let's wrap!

Bombers v Crows, Friday night: Fun fact… the Bombers are in the middle of an 11 week stretch where they don’t have to leave Melbourne once. No such thing as advantages to big Victorian teams though right? Well maybe not, since it didn’t help them beat a bottom 5 side. Poor old Brad Scott must be slowly realising it’s going to take more than some nice alliteration to get this team to find an edge. Panic stations now.

Giants v Suns, Saturday arvo: Another spiritless Suns away performance. They actually dominated a bunch of key stats in the first half but found the howling Homebush gale tricky to handle and missed their shots on goal. That’s all it took for their heads to drop. The Giants savaged them in the second half.

View attachment 2054810

Saints v Eagles, Saturday arvo: Yeah sorry but I don’t watch Ross Lyon teams. Did they win? That’s nice.

Hawks v Pies, Saturday twilight: Two sides heading in completely opposite directions. The plucky young Hawks looked to be enjoying every moment, while the stale old (and in fairness, injury-hit) Pies looked like they just wanted their season to be over. Reckon they’ll have their wish shortly.

View attachment 2054808

Lions v Swans, Sunday arvo: In glorious sunshine at the Gabba, did we see the grand final preview? The Swans had their chances to bury the home side in the middle quarters but fluffed their lines in front of goal, and the Lions took advantage. Time will tell if Sydney can reverse that result in a rematch.

Freo v Demons, Sunday arvo: What a luxury to have twin towers Darcy and Jackson against no ruckman Harrison Petty. The Dockers ended up mauling the weakened Dees and have worked their way back into the top 4 now. Might have come at a cost with that injury to Pearce, though.

Blues v North, Sunday twilight: Big effort from the young Roos against one of the premiership fancies. After a couple of losses in a row the Blues simply had to put a win on the board. They did that, but not without resistance.

Don't forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated below... along with any other thoughts you had about round 19!
Dogs vs Cats?

Liked:
Breaking a seven year drought against Essendon
The Saints winning to keep our chances of pick #4 alive
Brisbane-Sydney. With that and our game, we've probably had the two best games of the year in the one round. Except this one is worthy of a GF match-up

Learnt:
The Hawks are flag smokey next year (not this year as they've come from too far back) but, next year, they'll be scary
Collingwood's season
Gold Coast's season

Hated:
Like every week, the standard of umpiring

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming from a poster that did nothing but bitch and whinge through a whole game of footy about every umpiring decision.

Ok chump just concerning when lions defenders can just kick and tunnel all day

IMG_4772.jpeg

Last edited:
What about the cats? They were awful
It's not as easy beating the WB when you don't get umpires helping you and aren't gifted a couple of lucky bounces, is it? About time both of those were in favour of the WB.

View attachment 2055256

There was a tunnel from a Swans player literally minutes later. Both didn’t get paid, it evened up.

Granted the foot in the back should have been paid, but if we did it all day - show me some more examples.

It's not as easy beating the WB when you don't get umpires helping you and aren't gifted a couple of lucky bounces, is it? About time both of those were in favour of the WB.
I don’t wanna take anything at all from the Dogs, they were incredible , I think you have me all wrong….. but if you honestly believe that you are absolutely delusional

View attachment 2055256

Here he is the sook of all sooks, oh did you find a couple of dubious frees/non frees in a game of footy- christ, who would have thought that happens🙄 I notice you didn’t include the exact same thing happening to Berry 20m’s out directly in front of goal.

Liked: The Hawks..wow, thought we'd beat a banged up Collingwood but 11 goals in the wet...

The Lions/Swans game...different level that game.

Geelong making Lobb look like prime Langford

Learnt: Those at head office will be pi55ed that the R24 pies/demons game may have nothing riding on it except which pick freo gets.

Hated: Melbourne & WCE....put some pride into your performances.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here he is the sook of all sooks, oh did you find a couple of dubious frees/non frees in a game of footy- christ, who would have thought that happens🙄 I notice you didn’t include the exact same thing happening to Berry 20m’s out directly in front of goal.

I just included the one the AFL cited that led to a goal in a game that was decided by less than a goal.

But you keep being you, didn't know I had such a rabid fan

I just included the one the AFL cited that led to a goal in a game that was decided by less than a goal.

But you keep being you, didn't know I had such a rabid fan
But you didn’t include the one that also would have lead to a goal - in a game decided by less than a goal. I will keep being me, good week, beat the top side in a great game of footy. You keep being you and bitching like there is some conspiracy against your team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 19 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back