Opinion AFL 2024 Round 20 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Hawks and Dogs footy is exciting and fun to watch.
Essendon going back to being shit

Learnt: Something stinks down at Carlton and its more than just s little hick up, they have time, but they need to sort it out quick smart otherwise they will undo all their hard work.
Swans really need to get off to better starts, this whole not showing up will 1/4 time is going to cost them come September.
North are gonna be alright, have some seriously talented kids, only a matter of time.
Tex needs to give it up.

Hated: Not much

Liked: Hawks and Dogs footy is exciting and fun to watch.
Essendon going back to being shit

Learnt: Something stinks down at Carlton and its more than just s little hick up, they have time, but they need to sort it out quick smart otherwise they will undo all their hard work.
Swans really need to get off to better starts, this whole not showing up will 1/4 time is going to cost them come September.
North are gonna be alright, have some seriously talented kids, only a matter of time.
Tex needs to give it up.

Hated: Not much

A few pundits have been flagging for a while that their defensive profile is poor for a supposed contender - despite having probably the AA FB. Even during their winning periods it hasn’t been great.

Unless that improves it won’t matter where they finish, they’ll get done in September.

It’s not a coincidence that the bulldogs seem to have finally found a defensive structure/personnel group to trust and are defending the forward half very well, and that has translated to the performances the last few weeks.

Sydney looking done

Will focus on Oympics
Sydney and Carlton will return. It is the time of the year when the sides start to get up and get better, and challenge those that have run well most of the year, I think Carlton and Sydney will return to form.

As for the mighty Hawks, they are astounding, the form change the mind set turned totally around, no lazy players, all gang tackling skill seems to have been in top form for training, Jaith less turnovers and geting through traffic he is a marvelous mover Chol will prove one of the best Hawks ever, he looks like he's walking but he's at 100 miles a split second.

As I said Hawthorn are astounding, and I mean it, that doesn't mean they are a walkup start for finals.
And I hope they aren't thinking GF. Because of they are cocky about it Sam needs to pull their heads in and let them know different ball game.

BUT! They can't be much different in being a bit younger, than 2008 boys, and they have flicked a switch probably as amazing a turn around that I've seen for a team .

I definitely like the fact that the umpires appear to be letting up a bit on seriously over killed tiggys.
Allowing good tackles are being let go and so they should, but occasionally an ump makes a massive killer mistake, I think the game is being let return a bit to some hard tough footy

AND are the free kicks less via the statistics this last two to three weeks?

What I really hate is the arm touching rule in marking contests. How do people regard a contested mark? Seriously, if a defender has to be aware of even scraping an opponent's arm jumping at speed to punch, then he cannot defend with all his capacity, then it is simply not fair.
That and ridiculous unwarranted 50 metre penalties, is a crusher of games it is not needed and for petty things like a reflex knocking a ball out of an opponent's hands reflex action wise what on earth is that penalty good for even?
It does have a bearing on the game , it gives the recieving of the free 50,to a player and team advantage they really don't deserve.
50's were for bashing after marks or frees and hard hitting bashing. and slinging, the stupidity ruins games.

It is. The great nation of Victoria.
Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by Amazon Prime Video

A few pundits have been flagging for a while that their defensive profile is poor for a supposed contender - despite having probably the AA FB. Even during their winning periods it hasn’t been great.

Unless that improves it won’t matter where they finish, they’ll get done in September.

It’s not a coincidence that the bulldogs seem to have finally found a defensive structure/personnel group to trust and are defending the forward half very well, and that has translated to the performances the last few weeks.
1000000%

I think we need to drop the hard tag at clearance unless we generate a +1, because we’ve turned a strength into a weakness (scores from stoppage diff)

Think our structure is incredible when we have pressure on the ball and is largely dictated by Weiterings positioning, but when teams go quick from stoppage we get railed

Young up forward for us last weekend was the dumbest selection choice too, I know Moir hasn’t set the world on fire in the 2’s but all teams need a minimum of two genuine targets. You can’t just have Charlie (as good as he is), you’re better off having say Checkers and Cox than you are just Curnow because it provides multiple reference points and it separates the two best tall defenders

Big rant but there is a lot wrong right now and I worry we’ve left it too late to figure it out

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 20 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back