Opinion AFL 2024 Round 20 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

A round of some big winners and some big, big losers. Let's wrap it up...

Blues v Port, Friday night: A Kenny Hinkley backs to the wall special! What a coach, am I right?? The banged up Blues did well to set up a big early lead, but it was always going to be tough for a team nursing injuries and a 5 day break to maintain it all game. Their last 4 matches have been genuinely average though, and they didn’t come into all of them with short breaks. Wheels falling off?

North v Cats, Saturday arvo: There was the smell of an upset in the air prior to this one, and that turned into a full-on stench when North kicked the first three goals. Geelong steadied from there though, and kept the improving young Roos at arm’s length for most of the afternoon.

Suns v Lions, Saturday twilight: Probably should read “Suns v Premiership Favourites”. No mean feat to march into Carrara and plunder the four points. Ominous performance from a team that is steamrolling towards a top 2 finish.

Saints v Bombers, Saturday twilight: Goodness me, the late season Bomber collapse is in full swing now. What do you even say here? They’d have been roundly criticised even if they lost this game narrowly. Losing it by 9 goals will see all hell break loose. They play the top 3 sides on the ladder in their last 4 games, so it’s looking like just another wasted season for this club. Give some credit to old mate Ross Lyon and the Saints too though; will humbly admit I didn’t think they had that sort of barnstorming performance in them.

1722157566147.png

Demons v Giants, Saturday night: The Dees set up a handsome lead in the first quarter, were blown away in the second, clung on doggedly to the Giants coattails in the third, completely fell apart early in the last, then rallied and nearly won the game. Strange old footy team aren’t they?

Dockers v Eagles, Saturday night: The Dockers are now such a good side they can afford to just cruise against a bitter rival for a quarter or two, then put the foot down and blow them away in the second half. Third on the ladder for a reason.

1722157581094.png

Magpies v Tigers, Sunday arvo: Not much to see here. The Pies stopped the rot but they’re not running hot.

Swans v Dogs, Sunday arvo: Um, can we go back to that unpredictable hot and cold version of the Dogs that got smashed by Port a few weeks ago please? This new assertive, world-beating version is just plain scary. Made the Swans look third-rate all day and are just about the form team of the comp now.

Crows v Hawks, Sunday arvo: Sorry Dogs, you've already been displaced as the form team. I forgot about Hawthorn! Against the Crows they were genuinely dominant, and that's not a word you could have used to describe them for most of the last decade. Going places.

Don't forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated below... along with any other thoughts you had about Round 20!

Learnt - Hawthorn have arrived, form team of the competition and will be a deadly part of finals.

Liked - Deadly Dogs & Hollywood “Showtime” Hawks.

Hated - Dirty Crows, slamming players heads into the ground, dangerous tackles, studs into the back, punching to the gut.

• Carlton are no longer playing for THE EMBLEM
  • I saw Hinkley in a store testing out pens and practicing his signature. He’s ready.
  • North will come good, just need some games and experience into a few more players
  • Geelong just doing Geelong things
  • Lions coming good at the right time of the year
  • Suns have been dimmed, or perhaps Dimma’d?
  • Demons wishing they had Hogan back
  • GWS should thank the Demons
  • Essendon in the top 4 in round 13 and now out of the 8. What a year!
  • Saints weren’t boring for once
  • Dockers rolling and rocking
  • WC put in a good show. If they put in the same effort that they do against the Dockers they’d have won more games this year.
  • Swans are crashing hard. Shades of Freo 2015.
  • Dogs are a scary finals prospect
  • Hawks being kept out of the 8 by the dogs, going to be a frenetic finish to the year
  • Nothing to say about the other teams. Easily forgettable.

Liked : Winning and Blue shorts, the Cats looked good.

Learnt: If the ladder remains the same, the AFL are heading for an embarrassing first week of finals, who out of the five interstate teams currently in the 8 will host a first final? It is possible that no Victorian team will qualify to host their first final? More than likely 3 games will be played outside of Melbourne?

Hated: Not much to hate this week...

Liked : Winning and Blue shorts, the Cats looked good.

Learnt: If the ladder remains the same, the AFL are heading for an embarrassing first week of finals, who out of the five interstate teams currently in the 8 will host a first final? It is possible that no Victorian team will qualify to host their first final? More than likely 3 games will be played outside of Melbourne?

Hated: Not much to hate this week...
Why is it embarrassing for non-Vics to make up the bulk of the 8? Or are you saying it’s embarrassing because the AFL throws every advantage Vic teams way and they still couldn’t get it done? If so, can’t disagree.

I liked my burger at the Qclash
I learnt that my burger was tasty
I hated that I had only one burger
Woooo pumped!

(as a wise poster once said)

Liked: Port Winning
Learnt: Bulldogs and Hawthorn are potentially the biggest threats come september
Hated: Port winning Hinkley won't get sacked

Why is it embarrassing for non-Vics to make up the bulk of the 8? Or are you saying it’s embarrassing because the AFL throws every advantage Vic teams way and they still couldn’t get it done? If so, can’t disagree.
No, i couldn't care less, but it is possible no matches could be played in Melbourne the first week of the finals and that has never happened before..The AFL would be worried about that.

No, i couldn't care less, but it is possible no matches could be played in Melbourne the first week of the finals and that has never happened before..The AFL would be worried about that.
Its possible for no finals the first 3 weeks with as few as 6 non vic teams qualifying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Essendon fan tossing his scarfe..absolute GOLD.

Learnt: Does Anyone actually want to win the 2024 Flag....If Toby gets hot he may take the giants to the holy grail.

Hated: The time diff between us & France......

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked:
Pick #4 is just about secured (although watch us **** it up and pick KPD Luke Trainor instead of much-needed midfield talent)

Learnt:
The Swans and Blues both have some serious issues that need addressing before September
The Dogs continue to impress and are a flag threat
The finals contenders are probably down to nine now with Essendon and, likely, Melbourne done for the year
I said last week the Hawks weren't quite ready to contend courtesy of being a young side that's been up and about for so long, but I suppose the same was said about the Baby Bombers. Look out if they make finals.

Hated:
The Crows. No pride or effort whatsoever and resorting to being thugs. One of the most classless team performances you will see (the Hawks on the other hand have the best game plan in the comp)

Liked.
Dan McStay looking better. Welcome back big fella.
Collingwood winning, whilst Carlton, Essendon and Richmond all lost.
Nick Daicos and Harry Sheezel, great to watch and in coming years, could be the best two players in the comp for several years.

Learnt.
Both teams have won out of the JHF trade.
The Premiership race is still very open.

Hated,
Power won, what is left to say.

Liked:
  • JUH is making me enjoy watching the bulldogs
  • Treacy, Serong, Brayshaw and Freddy are making enjoy watching the ****ing Fremantle Dockers

Learnt:
  • The AFLCA race is wide open
  • The top four is wide open
  • The top eight is wide open
  • Sydney and Carlton like Brisbane, Melbourne and Collingwood are showing what happens when you have too many injuries in this tight competition
  • Brisbane and WBD could both win it

Hated:
  • Booing Reid, come on man
  • Teague getting the sack at Richmond (unless he has accepted the West Coast role)
  • Carlton falling away from top four contention.. maybe even top eight

Learned that SYDNEY SWANS done "peaking too early". No point being the form team of the competition when it's Round 1.
Sucked in losers.

Bombers fans are so good. Loved "DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR HORSE ****". Can't wait to yell that out at the footy.

Carn Saints.

Liked: getting Port at $8 at half time with $50 on it (softened the blow)
Learnt: nothing
hated: Dew getting booed by nuffs

Liked Dogs and Hawks continuing their form, and learnt they are real contenders if they can keep their form up. Port have some life in them, but don't see them going all the way. If Sydney and Carlton dont turn things around I dont think either will make a gf. Didn't hate much, aside from us dropping off - well it was more Freo lifting, but didn't expect much, so overall satisfied with the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 20 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back